Sound troubles on linux

Post your questions here
vmaki
Team: Privateer

Sound troubles on linux

Post by vmaki »

Hi. I am having trouble with how the sim sounds on a linux machine and because of this I usually just play the game without sound. Recently I tried to see if I could solve the problem but I had no success.

I'm on manjaro and it came with pulseaudio. If I understand correctly sim uses alsa(?) as its output and that gets pushed to pulse via a plugin?
below is my .asoundrc. I have tried different configurations but without success. They either don't work or sound the same.

Code: Select all

pcm.!default {
     type pulse
}

ctl.!default {
     type pulse
}
I have also tried to use my graphics cards sound card by switching the out put to my monitors speakers. That makes no difference. So the problem occurs after sim and before hardware?

If I use aplay to play a test wav it sounds good and I believe it also gets routed to pulse like sim does. Spotify and Firefox also sound normal but I think those use pulse to begin with. Below is recording of how sim sounds for me. It was recorded with arecord if that matters.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/tgnbmbjsw ... d.wav/file

What are the sound specs that the sim outputs? Maybe I could force those with .asoundrc?

Any and all help is appreciated!
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: Sound troubles on linux

Post by jlv »

On Fedora I have to install alsa-lib.i686 and alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i686 for 32 bit alsa/pulseaudio.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Whoops. Didn't read far enough to see you do have sound output. Maybe check your mixer settings. You could have the game set low and the mixer set to amplify.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
vmaki
Team: Privateer

Post by vmaki »

Well it works now but I really don't know why. There was an update available after I made the post so maybe it was something in that. I'd rather know the reason but it works so I'm happy. Thanks for your time and sorry for the trouble!