Help creating a Shirt design for printing

Post your questions here
Mayfly
Team: Privateer

Help creating a Shirt design for printing

Post by Mayfly »

Hi,
I've got a race shirt design which I need to prepare for a printing company. So far I only have the design in low res .png / .psp format. I've heard that the best way for me to prepare the files for use with the print company templates is to create it in vector form. Can anyone help explain this for me. I have the logos used in my design in vector form (saved as .ai files). I kind of understand vectors but do not understand how I can copy in logos from another vector format file and put them into the shirt template design along with some other lines / shapes and keep the whole thing vector form so that it doesn't loose quality when its printed. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Mayfly
wheels1758

Re: Help creating a Shirt design for printing

Post by wheels1758 »

Do you mind showing a picture or something to better explain your issue. What they most likely want is the .ai file, which should all be vector shapes. You can draw your other lines and what not in the .ai file as well. Are you saying you drew the design in photoshop, and now they want a vector image?
JB323
Team: Privateer Life

Post by JB323 »

isnt this supposed to be YOUR job ? not ours ? kinda defeats the purpose.

Privateer Life # 323 Support from Motosport | Race Tech | 180 Decals

http://instagram.com/jbolen323/
wheels1758

Post by wheels1758 »

mxer323 wrote:isnt this supposed to be YOUR job ? not ours ? kinda defeats the purpose.
I think you are reading it wrong. He's not doing this as a job. He is having some shirts printed for his own racing effort. The company that is doing the printing is requesting vector images.
Mayfly
Team: Privateer

Post by Mayfly »

Basically I am from a BMX club in the UK. We wanted a new race shirt and due to the volunteer nature of BMX racing in the UK or club doesn't have the funds available to pay a professional designer to design and create our race tops. So several members of our club put there ideas together and I drew up a design to suit the majority of our members. The design I made was on a simple shirt template, I drew it in Paintshop pro (yes I know, bad choice but my knowledge of PS is limited). So I came up with the design which everyone is happy with, but the problem now is that the company we are using to print our race shirts want it on their template in vector form that they can open in Illustrator. I was honestly expecting to give them the logo's in vector form and that they would fit all the rest. Well I hoped that was the case as it will cost us £30 a race shirt to be printed!

I am not asking anyone to do this for me, but I was after some help / tips in understanding vector form so that I can convert my design into an appropriate format. They are after a template.ai file to have the design on it in vector form so that the quality is not lost when printing. After years of little use on Paintshop pro I've never used vectors / Illustrator and so its a bit confusing.

I'll attach an image of the shirt design. So far I have tried using Illustrator and hopefully with some browsing of tutorials I can do this later today.