Your guide to make a Mx Simulator edit

Post your screenshots and videos here
02RR02
Team: JNR Motorsports

Your guide to make a Mx Simulator edit

Post by 02RR02 »

Intro
First of all, you should make it clear for yourself : even if you are making Mx Simulator videos for your own personal enjoyment, it is the viewers who you are showing it to, so make sure you show them a good one, not something you just threw together because you were "Just bored". If you you post a bad video, and state that you don’t care about it’s quality, since you were making it for yourself, you will most likely be asked to keep it for yourself.

Editing Programs
Free
- Windows Movie Maker
- Davinci Resolve
- AVID Media Composer

Cheaper
- Pinacle Studio

Professional/expensive
- Adobe Premiere
- Sony Vegas Pro

Recording The Game Footage
- First, start up Fraps (Highly recommended screen capturing software), found at Fraps.com. In “movies” tab, select Full-size and FPS you are going to record in (depends on your PC). Don’t go lower than 25 FPS. Rather go with 60 FPS if your computer can handle it.
- If you have an Invidia graphics card, you can use Nvidia Shadowplay. Go to Nvidia geforce experience to find out more.
- First of all you have to get rid of the hud which appears when you are in game. Wahlamt has a good guide of getting this done.
- Play the replay and hit the button you assigned to capture the footage in Fraps (F9 by default). Hit the button again to stop recording. Your .avi files will be stored on your HDD.

Graphics
In game settings:
You want to have the highest possible graphic setting as possible to make the quality of the video as best as possible.
- You want to put everything on the sliders as close to the max (100) as possible. But if you struggle with FPS you can lower them a bit. Rather not under 70.
Ground Texture Resolution: The name speak for itself, it set what resolution you want on the ground texture. The higher resolution. The more crisp it looks. Quote from JLV "make sure you aren't using too much texture memory. It shows it right after the track loads. If it's using more than the physical memory on your card the game will stutter as the textures get swapped. Most people will want to use 256x256 or 512x512. More than that is overkill. "
You would like to set these:
Enable Ground MipMaps:
Use framebuffer objects:
To yes since since they enhance quality in the game.
Terrain Rendering Method:
If you're running in copy mode, you are running 256x256 terrain textures. You need to use one of the direct modes for it to honor settings over 256x256.

Graphic Card Setting
yzmxer608 wrote:
A few notes/explanation:
-Reasoning for the 8xS antialiasing mode: It is combined 1x2 SS + 4x MS. SS stands for supersampling, and MS stands for multisampling, a quick explanation of each:
Tweak Guides wrote:The most common form of AA a few years ago was Supersampling which is a brute force method that pretty much just increases the resolution of the entire image within the graphics card to remove jaggedness, then rescales it back down to display at your chosen resolution. This method reduces performance a great deal, but works with almost any game.

Multisampling (MSAA) is a newer form of AA which came about through incorporating optimizations into graphics hardware to perform more efficient AA. It can still reduce performance, especially at higher resolutions, but less so on more recent graphics cards. MSAA provides a good compromise between image quality and performance.
Basically supersampling is much harder on performance since it renders the whole image at X times your game resolution, then scales it back down. What the 1x2 SS does is renders the horizontal resolution the same as your game (the '1' portion) and the vertical resolution twice the resolution, then scales back down (the '2' portion). This is then combined with the 4x multisampling.

-The transparency antialiasing applies to transparent edges (aka anything that is alpha on your texture, like a tree billboard). I think when using the transparency supersampling the transparency multisampling is automatically disabled (it can't use both at the same time) but I set the transparency multisampling to disabled just to be sure. If you lag with these settings, first lower the this from 4x supersampling to a lower setting, or try the transparency multisampling option.

If you really want to get crazy try the higher antialiasing modes (each setting has the description next to it in the parenthesis, using what I said about the combined 1x2 SS+ 4x MS you should be able to figure out what each does).

Here is some more info if you want to read more on it http://forum.avsim.net/topic/324786-nvi ... -settings/

-The transparency antialiasing applies to transparent edges (aka anything that is alpha on your texture, like a tree billboard). I think when using the transparency supersampling the transparency multisampling is automatically disabled (it can't use both at the same time) but I set the transparency multisampling to disabled just to be sure. If you lag with these settings, first lower the this from 4x supersampling to a lower setting, or try the transparency multisampling option.
Actually use 2x supersampling as a start point, I tried comparing it to 4x and there's not much difference. Coming down the first rhythm at A1 I was getting around 90 FPS by myself with 4x, and 125 FPS at 2X (crowd has a lot of alpha). I also tried the sparse grid supersampling options with bad results, it seems to look good in other games but regular SS seems to look better in mxs. Here's some info on the sparse grid supersampling if you want any info on it. http://www.overclock.net/t/1250100/nvid ... ersampling
Anisotropic texture filtering can usually be maxed (16x) with almost no performance loss.

Improving FPS
It is possible that while recording your FPS drops to an unbelievably low rate, there are a few ways to prevent it.
- Run a graphic setting which isn't too high
- Disable AntiAliasing in game and enable it in NVidia Control Panel.

Camerawork
- You would want to use the free cam when recording in Mx Simulator.
By pressing the tab key on your keyboard, you are then changing from 1st person, 3rd person to free cam.
- There are four ways you can do your camerawork when recording:

Standard freecam
Standard freecam with lock (press dab to lock the rider). This might not work on some tracks since it will put you to cameras put into the track like you see on TV.
Keycam
Eysgamers Keycam Tutorial
Alpha rider
This is a feature done first by DJD. By doing this, you have a 2nd rider riding around next to the guy your filming. This is what was used before JLV implemented the keycam feature. This method will make a more feel of filming from a vehicle driving next to the rider since you will be witnessing bumping movements from the 2nd person.
To make this work. You will have to put the 2nd rider invisible. A tip is to do this after you`ve done the demo. "Look at editing demo".
Film it in 3rd person

The Camera Options Menu
FOV : Field of view, self explanatory (if it isn’t – play with the slider, you will get it…)

Camerawork advice
Never let the camera go straight through an object. If it went through, you can either try the same shot again, or to edit it out during the editing process.
Don’t make sudden camera movements. If you want the camera to be moving, it should be in motion before you hit the record button, and it should stop after you stopped recording. If you have made such a mistake, you can edit it out later. Also don not start turning the camera around all of a sudden. All the movements need to be fluid and smooth.
Even though this is a video game/sim it is a plus that you try to keep it as realistic as possible. Some "unrealistic" shots can be good, but if you overdo it, it kind of gets to that unrealistic video game feel.

- This is important when doing keycams
Avoid high FOV, the less FOV, the more detail you can show.
Variation is gold
If you don not know how to best show off the bike and the actions – YouTube some of Vurbmotos videos, watch Moto the movie or look at some of the more popular mx simulator edits to get some inspiration.

Editing Demo
You can edit your demofile by getting Notepad++ and with this program you will be able to edit stuff in your demofile such as skins and numbers. All you have to do is to right click on the demofile you want to edit > Open in > Notepad++.

It will then show something like this dempending on how many riders there are in the demo. This one has only me in it.
The following show this: Dyno|Riderskin|Bikeskin|Wheels|Helmet.

You can edit this by doing the exact same thing as you did with the demofile. Right click on the skin SAF you want to put in and it will show something like this:

On this example I chose to edit the wheels on the demo so I opened P2stas wheel pack. Be aware that you ONLY highlight and copy the PNG, not the JM. So what I did in this example was highlighting
wheels-p2staGoldR-GoldRed.png and NOT the numbers on the left side.

Go back to the tab where the demofile is. and highlight the wheels skins that already was in the demo and replace it with the new one. Do not take away the "@" since this tells what is shown. So it is important that you have it before the skinname.

If you want to do the Alpha rider, all you have to do is to download Invisibleman.zip and run it in game.

Editing Advice
If you are using Windows movie maker DON NOT USE ANY OF IT’S SPECIAL EFFECTS, because simply – they are godawful. And also don’t use any of it is transitions except fading through black or cross fading. And also, forget about the regular text overlay WMM has, you are better off with a proper JPG with a text written with nice font
Everyone likes to see the rider in your video, so make sure to cut off the unnecessary bits when the rider has passed (or is going to pass), and the camera is filming the scenery.

If you used a demo version of Fraps to record the video, it will have a fraps.com watermark in the top part of the screen. You can edit it out by simply zooming a little bit (not a lot though, you lose quality when you zoom in using editing software)

synchronize the video to the audio. It is not bad not to sync, but if you do, it delivers a ton of difference.
When editing the video, remember, there is nothing wrong with using special effects or not using special effects. The main rule is – don not go overboard. The picture should still be clear, and show what you want the viewer to see, and the special effect used must always fit the scene. A bit of color correction is always welcome. If you are going to use vignette overlay (darkening the edges of the video), remember to constantly change it. You don not want the whole video be covered in one and the same vignette.

Don not forget, every video has a beginning and the end. Don not cut off the video and audio feed when you want to end the video, edit it so it would feel natural (for example cars driving away and music fading, while slowly fading to black)

If you are fading to blank, use either black or white colors, everything else looks unprofessional.
When you are done with editing, make sure you watch the whole video in the editing software and make sure it is just the way you want it to be, and check if there is no unwanted stuff in the video, that you forgot to take out, or that nothing is missing that you intended to put in...

Misc Editing Stuff
Remember there is no right way on how to make an edit. Everyone has their way, but I thought it could be ok to share how I work with my projects.

What I usually do when I first start with is to find a song first, listen to it and try to imagine how I want my project to be like before I ever try to record ingame. I even listen to it during the whole recording sessions. I usually try to find atleast 3 or more different angles of the same thing. This is usually done on many different takes depending on how much I can get out of the demofile. I record one Slow-mo shot and one normal speed shot. I try to make atleast one shot which is not a follow keycam shot. This is usually a shot only standint still, zooming or done by moving the free roam manually.

Like I mentioned, I put most of my time into the recording phase. I usually end up with hundreds of footages in my folder, and only end up only using 25 - 50% of the the footages I have recorded. But It's a lot better to have too much footage than having few in my opinion.

On the editing part do I Put the song first into the timeline, then try to match the footage with the music. So if the song start slow and easy before it builds up, then I use the Wes Williams inspired method by filling the intro with some scenery footage of the track or objects. The rest of the editing is usually done by finding footage which look to suit the music as good as possible, before I end it with a shot which I think would look great as an ending.

Whenever I am done with the editing, I try to wait a few days before I try to do my second check. I like to have my edits as much synchronized as possible since my monitor is not the best out there. So I check it by going over the whole edit in 0.50 speed and 0.30 speed to make sure each shot is matching the beat as good as possible.

Then I do the Youtube check where I set is as "private" to check how the quality and the transition from the editing software to Youtube has been. If I can see any difference, I try to do the work above again.

Keep in mind that my biggest throughout my years of edits has been that the footage and music has been a little out of synch and that it has result in me overcomplicating this. So I would not recommend you doing this unless you are struggling really bad :lol: :lol:

Music
Music is a major factor in your video. It sets the tempo and the mood, so it is a very touchy subject. Of course music is something you can not agree on with everyone, but this advice will make life easier for you and for the viewer. These are the notes I have made for myself while making my videos, and watching other people’s videos.

First of all, you should remember not to use anything that will be forgotten in a few years… that means nothing you see on MTV in the charts is allowed (with rare exceptions from long living, and very popular bands like Prodigy for example). Usuallly the video does not age well if the music is getting old.

Try to avoid songs that are not in English, they are generally not well received. As much as everyone may respect Russian (Spanish or Italian or Chinese… does not matter) singers, their style is too distant from songs in English, which everyone is used to. I would also recommend not to use anything with words in it, makes it easier to accept.

Avoid music that has been used in successful Mx Simulator videos before you, it is not original.

Remember : style and rhythm of the music is a major factor. Before selecting your music, analyze it, does it suit the action? Is the tempo right? What about the style? Is the music not too repetitive? What about explicit lyrics? (yes some people have problems with that.) Remember, the more extreme the music style, the less chances of it being accepted by the majority (Black metal for example)

Overall Advice
One and only thing, apart from the technical stuff mentioned above : No one start off making an super awesome edit at first. To get better you have to be able to learn from constructive critism, take those feedback and continue to develop them, continue to make your next work better than your previous, because at some point, you will get to where you think you can not get any further. That is where you have to do the dirty work to find your own flaws and mistakes to help yourself develop.

Keep your work original, be creative.

Thanks to Squidhead for the template, yzmxer608 for a small guide on graphics and onefoureight for the second English correction and input.
MOTOZ293
Team: Hog Heaven Racing

Re: Your guide to make a Mx Simulator edit

Post by MOTOZ293 »

Very good tips
CrossFlow Racing#16

Post by CrossFlow Racing#16 »

This came out really good. Good work man
John23

Post by John23 »

Good, shit!!!
jlv wrote:This post is useless.
motokid499
Team: Phil's

Post by motokid499 »

I appreciate you taking the time to make this post. Thanks a ton man!
Tanner Rogers
AHeckman2
Team: Heckman Productions

Post by AHeckman2 »

Very helpful! Great job!
MXJProductions
Team: MXJP

Post by MXJProductions »

People have different ways of creating their very own masterpieces. I think this is a good way to start but at the same time I kind of disagree with it. One thing I hate is cookie cutter, and sticking to any type of guidelines. When DJD, and myself came up with the original keycam footage it was different, and kind of choppy but it got the job done fairly well.

The problem is when people start making their edits in this community, and it's not as good, or as fine tuned as others it instantly get a crapped on, and people start telling others how to do it a certain way. My best advice is be yourself, be different, learn as you go and find the way that works best for you. I have a 4 year degree in Digital Media/film but when I did MXS edits is how I learned my style. Not from something someone told me how I should be doing it!

Either way it appears video creation is at an all time low from the looks of it. Why is that?

All in all well done.
MXJProductions

Post by MXJProductions »

Oh and on the camerawork tab, I definitely would've added in manually controlling tf our shots via controller as one of them. Something no one does anymore. Even Wes Williams will tell you variation is key as you stated but where it should be corrected is too much motion is a bad habit. Not every shot should be in motion. Otherwise you tend to to use the same direction for motion and it gets boring and repetitive very quickly. Manually focusing on the rider via step function is very effective and a bit old school since key cams were introduced. Switch it up, keycam, tripod still style, manual focus, slider, dolly style etc.

Just figured I would share my .02. I do agree with most of your instructions though!
MXJProductions

Post by MXJProductions »

Sorry for the triple post but maybe have the post unlocked and add your personal favorites of MXS videos from various guys to show examples of what you're talking about. Newer guys may struggle understand the final product.
02RR02
Team: JNR Motorsports

Post by 02RR02 »

MXJProductions wrote:People have different ways of creating their very own masterpieces. I think this is a good way to start but at the same time I kind of disagree with it. One thing I hate is cookie cutter, and sticking to any type of guidelines.
It's true that people shouldn't stick to guidelines, but the concept of this thread is more of showing the options you have for make your own edit, not a guide on how to make it my way. The part where I wrote how I did it was more of an example of how some do it. :)
MXJProductions wrote:Either way it appears video creation is at an all time low from the looks of it. Why is that?
Lack of contructive critism and more focus on just putting up content for subsribers.
MXJProductions wrote:Oh and on the camerawork tab, I definitely would've added in manually controlling tf our shots via controller as one of them. Something no one does anymore. Even Wes Williams will tell you variation is key as you stated but where it should be corrected is too much motion is a bad habit. Not every shot should be in motion. Otherwise you tend to to use the same direction for motion and it gets boring and repetitive very quickly. Manually focusing on the rider via step function is very effective and a bit old school since key cams were introduced. Switch it up, keycam, tripod still style, manual focus, slider, dolly style etc.
Think I forgot about regular non motion camerawork. BUT the way keycams are now these days, it will actually be more beneficial to do the following rider in a still position with keycams than doing it manually. It's easier to keep it smooth if you do it right and if you're doing it slow-mo, you won't have to bother with choppyness (atleast from my experience).
MXJProductions wrote:Sorry for the triple post but maybe have the post unlocked and add your personal favorites of MXS videos from various guys to show examples of what you're talking about. Newer guys may struggle understand the final product.
I really don't want to put up examples of edits. It's pretty much because of what you mentioned above. The examples shouldn't be something new guys should try to copy because they're good.

But what I can do is to mention editors who have pushed the "barriers" when it comes to edits. If people want it

Really appreciate the feedback and will unlock the post for future inputs, just had to get some feedback and headsup before I did so. Plus feel free to come up with other things that you may think will suit the "guide" 8)
MXJProductions

Post by MXJProductions »

I'm not really up to date on any new key cam updates. Did he make the transition between the frames smoother or something?
damon99
Team: MXSG

Post by damon99 »

MXJProductions wrote:I'm not really up to date on any new key cam updates. Did he make the transition between the frames smoother or something?
Yes. The keycam never stops between keyframes, but makes the transitions smooth. Watch this > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTthmzCAoR0
Sweendoggy
Team: Lone Wolf

Post by Sweendoggy »

IS THERE SERIOUSLY NOT A WAY TO USE FREE ROAM ON TRACKS THAT HAVE BROADCAST CAMERAS SET UP???
Team: LCQ Studios / rF

Post by 137 »

Sweendoggy wrote:IS THERE SERIOUSLY NOT A WAY TO USE FREE ROAM ON TRACKS THAT HAVE BROADCAST CAMERAS SET UP???
I think if you press "0" when you're on the broadcast cameras and it should go back to free roam
If you enjoy what I make, donate to the cause 8) It's very much appreciated!!
Sweendoggy
Team: Lone Wolf

Post by Sweendoggy »

137 wrote:
Sweendoggy wrote:IS THERE SERIOUSLY NOT A WAY TO USE FREE ROAM ON TRACKS THAT HAVE BROADCAST CAMERAS SET UP???
I think if you press "0" when you're on the broadcast cameras and it should go back to free roam
Thank god lmao. I'm sure I knew that at some point years ago, but thanks!!!!