How to make a good video

Post your screenshots and videos here
nickverstraaten
Team: KTM A.V Racing Team

How to make a good video

Post by nickverstraaten »

Hello people.

I wonder how everyone makes such a beautiful video, you see everything from all sides. and you can see the runway. A typical example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NdN0_Ogb4k

Sorry from my bad english, i'm from Holland.
MXJProductions
Team: MXJP

Re: How to make a good video

Post by MXJProductions »

Wow I'm surprised no one else has replied to your question...

Anyways I think I may have a few starter points.

The video you show is by RR02 he is prolly one of the best around here. He finds great angles of the tracks, and riders.

Best advice I can give is, practice. In college my digital media, and editing professor, always told us to start small work big. Plan every angle, plan your editing goals, and go achieve them.
Biggest issue is lots of videos released here is lack of patience, some create videos with a snap of a finger, and it shows in there work BIG TIME. When you see videos by RR02, djd, mittocs, myself, kawasakis, our videos generally take lots of time because we proof read " so to speak" our work before we release.

The best way to describe a well orchestrated video is by it's flow, a good flowed video will be exciting the whole video, not just in it's intro, or in the middle, or outro. It should be eye catching the whole time.... Yet the attention span of most for videos are within it's first 45 seconds so this time really needs to be jumpy and epic. Which is why I bitch and moan about intos being too long, as a 1 min intro is just overdone impo.

If you are not familiar with editing programs, I suggest sticking with windows movie maker ( wmm ). It is very easy to learn and will give u ideas and practice in editing clips, and dropping them into the timelines. I use different programs to acheive my videos, I.e sony vegas pro 10, premiere pro cs5, adobe after effecst cs5 ( mostly for special effects and intros )

Anyways I know I drug this out but if you need any help or tips or anything just hit me up golferjeff20@aol.com on msn, I will be more than happy to help u out.......
magnusson
Team: Wannabe

Post by magnusson »

The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE :wink:
vurbmoto wrote: - Kevin Windham is still a BOSS
My Release's on PureMXS
02RR02
Team: JNR Motorsports

Post by 02RR02 »

Just like motoxjeff said, Just practice on it. You will get good at it if you really want to progress and tries to follow every comment and constructive critism you get even if you agree or not, for everyone have to start somewhere.

My advise to you is to just be creative on your work, and not trying to follow or trying to copy other work or ideas.

And if I should tell what I usually do when I first start with my videos, Would it most likely be to find a song first, and trying to listen to it a few times, and trying to imagine how the angles should be at the different parts of the song, before I ever try to record ingame.
And I even listen to it while I record, and while I'm trying to find angles of the things I want to record. I usually try to find atleast 3 different of the same thing, even if it's free roam, 3rd person, 1st person footage. Slow-mo or normal speed. But try to make the angles as realistic as possible, and please try to not using the "Follow cam" too much since I personally think it's pure lazyness to just hold the dab button while recording, than actually do it manualy and make it look like it should have been filming in real life. and not just focusing on the rider everytime and then just stop the camera when you aren't pressing the dab button. And I really like to set the camera behind some objects while I get the rider in the picture, Like a bale, stone, grass or whatever you want, Just be creative like I said. :P

And don't be afraid to make too much footage when you are recording. Like I can go record from one demo and go to another demo and then go back to the previous demo trying to find new stuff/angles. Even though I usually end up with over 50% of none used footage when I'm finnished with my video. But It's a lot better with having too much footage than having few IMO.

On the editing part do I Put the song first into the timelines, and then tries to match the footage with the music. So if the song start slow and easy before it builds up, then it will fit with some scenery footage of the track or objects on it or something recorded in slow-mo. And try to match it up to the song and make the footage flow with the music.

And atleast try to spend time on it while your editing. Things you thing is perfect and has nothing wrong with can easly change after a day or two. Like if the footage wasn't that synchronized with the song, or that footage didn't fit to that part of the song or something.

I basicly did all of that on the video you posted. But it was also the one I didn't spend so much time on while I was editing. 4 hours of editing ended up with bad grammar :oops:

I'm also afraid that this post contain a lot of bad grammar too...
MXJProductions
Team: MXJP

Post by MXJProductions »

Wow RR it is cool seeing how others do it, in fact I will even go as far as saying me and you go throgh the same process. It is not uncommon for me to listen to the song about 100 + times before final render.

Another note on the music side, I am fortunate as well RR I'm sure to have good friends who are are equally talented as well artistic, do not be afraid to let your friends give opinions on the song choice. I usually ask the same 3 ppl before I make my final selection, because even tho I may like the song does not means everyone else will.. Good write up RR02 good to see other editors ideas and way of thinking....

As I RR stated , plan song first think of crazy unique editing that will set your vid apart from others, and the best tip yet by RR is BE CREATIVE.
Midbeck
Team: Race tech

Post by Midbeck »

Exactly right by RR, even tho i've never spent any real time on a Mxs project it's the same thing for when i did my Counter-strike 1.6 movies. Go to youtube/itunes/Spotify and listen to a couple of songs. Pick out something that suites YOU not the general MXS person. I often see what i do before i even record it when i listen to the song. My most valuable advice from those i haven't found so far is TAKE YOUR TIME! A good movie isn't done in 5-10mins and if you find yourself wondering meanwhile editing of it really looks alright, go back to the demo try to record it in a different angle and see if it fits it better. Making movies is a lot of fun when you learn the software and the basics and can get into the heavier stuff so take your time learning before doing something to big.

Peace
Midbeck