New erode test

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
barrington314
Team: me

Re: New erode test

Post by barrington314 »

will it be possible to get this to work with playing a race back like it did before? id love to take a national demo and play it back in editor and see what happens. might work well on a track like highpoint since its not as rough to start out with.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

I think the demo would need to save the force vectors for that to happen
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

DJ99X wrote:Terrain shaders won't be out by the time washougal comes around will they?
No chance of that I'd say.
barrington314 wrote:will it be possible to get this to work with playing a race back like it did before? id love to take a national demo and play it back in editor and see what happens. might work well on a track like highpoint since its not as rough to start out with.
This one needs the force info so demos won't work with it ever. (Damn DJ answers this stuff fast.)
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Just making sure. Don't want to texture Washougal only to have the shaders out not long before its release.
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

I just created a small turn track and did nothing to it. After 5 minutes with erode it seems like I've spent hours perfecting a track. I just might go through with it and we will have the next Sonora.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
DK662

Post by DK662 »

Well now after playing with this over the past few days I am very impressed. I have been working on a track on and off for a while now , so I decided to use that as my Ginny pig given I have not started on ruts or bumps. I had good results with setting erode to .5 and running 2 lap races on every other gate, so 40 total laps. the braking bumps are fantastic as well as the acceleration bumps. My only issue is getting a lot of chop in the beginning to mid part of ruts.
I am running:
set MX_ERODE_LOWER=100
set MX_ERODE_UPPER=200
set MX_ERODE_DISPLACEMENT=3
set MX_ERODE_RADIUS=4
set MX_ERODE_MAX_SLOPE=0.4
mx.exe --editor --erode .5
am I ass backwards on some numbers? I would think lowering the max slope is the answer but have not had much luck. Any thoughts/answers would be appreciated.

Another question pointed towards jlv. Will there be any kind of soil "strength" incorporated? Best I can explain; when a bike tire throws dirt into a specific area that dirt thrown will be "softer" so the next rider to run over it will have little effect on the bike but will make that specific area "harder".
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

I would make the displacement equal or greater than the radius.
Kawasakis

Post by Kawasakis »

We so need this in Multiplayer.. At least for testing purpose.
MXS Cup Winner
AX MX2 Champion

Tom cortvriendt

Post by Tom cortvriendt »

yeaaaaah! on a server with a low track, a stock track that everyone can run well. And with a maximum of 5 to 10 players or something
motoxjeff#7 wrote:JLV do you ever just sit back, and say " DAMN I made this game"? lol
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Have it on MP then we just stop after every 3 laps or so! So fucking beastly JLV.
My photography work
www.mikeowenphotographer.com
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

It's not that simple. He'll need to recode the server to send the forces and stuff.
Stickerz
Team: N/A

Post by Stickerz »

Well, jlv, when the time comes around for MP testing, I would be grateful if the server software became public. I would absolutely love to throw some custom tracks on my server and play around with them with a few people. :)
FactoryBR21
Team: Privateer

Post by FactoryBR21 »

server software is already public dude
Mbutler183 wrote:I remember when we had to play mva instead of mxs, what a load of shit that was.
DK662

Post by DK662 »

I have been playing with this a ton today, I have been getting great results. with these numbers I have been getting good results with just myself playing:
set MX_ERODE_LOWER=100
set MX_ERODE_UPPER=200
set MX_ERODE_DISPLACEMENT=10
set MX_ERODE_RADIUS=5
set MX_ERODE_MAX_SLOPE=0.40
mx.exe --editor --erode 3.0

I have been able to get some very natural feeling ruts and bumps. with more people you will definitely have to set the erode down. I have tried this with the AI on budds creek but it seems like the AI likes to be constantly on and off the gas creating big holes through ruts. Cant wait to have this online!
Plus this will save a ton of time editing! Bumps and ruts take me forever
rewrew421
Team: Privateer

Post by rewrew421 »

For some reason this dont work for me...... at first i made a .bat file and ran it and it was working but then i relized the updated .exe was still sitting on my desktop were i saved it. So i rename it and move it to overwrite my mx.exe run the batch file again and no erode? I go back to the old snapshot and erode returns.
D.Eckels #421 "The O-G"