Upcoming Tracks and Track Objects #2

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
barrington314
Team: me

Re: Upcoming Tracks and Track Objects #2

Post by barrington314 »

hehe. I wish I had some before and afters of glen helen. Dont think I kept any copies of the original. :?
MX181

Post by MX181 »

haggqvist wrote:
137 wrote:..."track paths"...
It's not that hard.
If it's too high you use the lower tool and if it's too low you use the raise tool.
Then you just use smooth to get the shit to look proper. :lol:

Lazy spaniards tend to use gradients a lot but don't go there.
It'll lead to all sorts of degenerate behaviour like sleeping in the middle of the day and having dinner at times when any normal person should be asleep.
so how do you get such a good idea of what the terrain look like?

Do you guy still use this method? - http://forum.mxsimulator.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8845
haggqvist wrote:Image

and the dem files being either 1/9 or 1/3 (not sure if there is more). I have gotten close to finding aan answer but never found an answer.
here are some ama height maps you must have done awhile ago - http://forum.mxsimulator.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10302

i just would love to know how to get data somewhere near as nice as that
SMR 510RR
Team: Privateer

Post by SMR 510RR »

barrington314 wrote:hehe. I wish I had some before and afters of glen helen. Dont think I kept any copies of the original. :?
I may have one laying around. Will look tomorrow, I have been using the gradient tool so I cant be bothered to check it out tonight.
rafagas

Post by rafagas »

MX181 wrote: so how do you get such a good idea of what the terrain look like?
I have made some tracks with just an on board from youtube. But I always try to find as many reference photos as possible where I can see different sections of the track in the same image so that I can compare and understand how each section should be in relation to the other. Examples:

http://www.mx1onboard.com/es/images/sto ... 012_47.jpg (background)
http://foto.scigacz.pl/cache/imgs/_w750 ... ocross.jpg
http://www.loketmx.com/photos/05.jpg
haggqvist

Post by haggqvist »

barrington314 wrote:hehe. I wish I had some before and afters of glen helen. Dont think I kept any copies of the original. :?
Don't try to compare Glen Helen to the crap data we have to use when making the GP's. :lol:

Glen Helen has 10m/px data and the GP's have 90m/px at best and most of the times it's less than 150m/px.
Here's the base terrain for Glen Helen as a comparison.
Look! You can actually see terrain features in it! :lol:

I do admit that some parts of it is a bit misleading though. :D
I really, really wish someone would build this warped sx so we could have a BYOB-race on it!

MX181 wrote:so how do you get such a good idea of what the terrain look like?
By studying images and videos. The height data just provides a starting point for the min/max elevations and general slope angles.
MX181 wrote:Do you guy still use this method? - http://forum.mxsimulator.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8845
This was the method I used to make the base terrains for the AMA tracks.
However, since they shut down the USGS seamless viewer and moved the elevation data to the National Map Viewer that method for downloading the data files doesn't work anymore.
Data from the NED 1/3 and 1/9 arcsecond datasets can now only be accessed as full 1 degree tiles that must be cropped to fit the orthophoto reference.
It's possible to do this by using a zoom function in microdem called keyboard corners.
You can check the extent of the downloaded data by opening the supplied kml file in Google Earth.

I suggest you make some strong coffee, put on your reading glasses and spend a couple of hours here.
MX181

Post by MX181 »

haggqvist wrote:
MX181 wrote:Do you guy still use this method? - http://forum.mxsimulator.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8845
This was the method I used to make the base terrains for the AMA tracks.
However, since they shut down the USGS seamless viewer and moved the elevation data to the National Map Viewer that method for downloading the data files doesn't work anymore.
Data from the NED 1/3 and 1/9 arcsecond datasets can now only be accessed as full 1 degree tiles that must be cropped to fit the orthophoto reference.
It's possible to do this by using a zoom function in microdem called keyboard corners.
You can check the extent of the downloaded data by opening the supplied kml file in Google Earth.

I suggest you make some strong coffee, put on your reading glasses and spend a couple of hours here.
I use the google earth plugin to get that kml file you speak of. As stupid as it sounds i actually never thought of using the raise and lower tool to create a realistoc look but thinking of it it seems so obvious. but defenitly me using the data from google earth it just seems like all my stuff are just really rolly i suppose you could say. But yes i have always used and tried that buddscreek height data and always aspired to get a result like that.
although cheers and thanks for a explanation ;)
haggqvist

Post by haggqvist »

The .kml file I was talking about is the one USGS includes in the e-mail you get with the download links from the national map viewer.
It shows the extent of the elevation/orthoimagery data you're about to download.
dionhuybers
Team: AMJ Graphixx

Post by dionhuybers »

MX181

Post by MX181 »

haggqvist wrote:The .kml file I was talking about is the one USGS includes in the e-mail you get with the download links from the national map viewer.
It shows the extent of the elevation/orthoimagery data you're about to download.
your right, i meant .kmz . i use this plugin for google earth to get my height data - http://bit.ly/eOt42I
the plugin is a kmz file and i havent done it for a long time but i think it exports .kmz files aswell
JT43
Crushed Dissenter
Team: MotardMatt220

Post by JT43 »

jlv wrote: Motardmatt220 is a crock of shit
KTM57 wrote: August is 13 years old and thinks he's hot shit because he's a lot younger than everyone else
Trevor
Crushed Dissenter
Team: 21 Savage

Post by Trevor »

Guess who's back :D
JT43
Crushed Dissenter

Post by JT43 »

Trevor wrote:Guess who's back :D
Jesus?.. No! Michael Jackson... Fuck, I can never get these! :?
KTM57 wrote: August is 13 years old and thinks he's hot shit because he's a lot younger than everyone else
MotardMatt220
Team: Privateer

Post by MotardMatt220 »

JT43 wrote:
Track looks shit as always, JT
JT43
Crushed Dissenter

Post by JT43 »

MotardMatt220 wrote:
JT43 wrote:
Track looks shit as always, JT
buckley135
Team: enduroland

Post by buckley135 »

Tony el Tigre wrote:Haven't made an EX track in a while, so here's a preview for my newest one. Looks better close up haha
when's the release ??
MXTYSEN21 wrote:3rd person... haaaa gayyyyy
Rmartin99 wrote:okay stop posting... it spreads disease :?