Upcoming Tracks and Track Objects #2

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
VMX_SKYmx99
Team: BOMR

Re: Upcoming Tracks and Track Objects #2

Post by VMX_SKYmx99 »

Thanks sir. I don't mind robbing decals or statues from an open track folder, but felt stealing displacement stuff was a bit more personal. Lol
staydown
Team: Building Tracks Only

Post by staydown »

Looks awesome Sky!!! The only suggestion that I have, is try using the raise tool at a strength of 0% and focus of 0% and run it along the edge of the track up over jumps and whoops. I know some people draw lines and blur them using photoshop to create a dug in effect too. I just think it gives the track a more worn look and makes it feel more realistic. You could see the effect it has in the picture below.

VMX_SKYmx99

Post by VMX_SKYmx99 »

Thanks man. I definitely will smooth out the edges. I've been adding some definition and smudging out jump edges with my pen tablet. I like the result so far.
VMX_SKYmx99

Post by VMX_SKYmx99 »

Oh... And your track looks great btw! :)
VMX_SKYmx99

Post by VMX_SKYmx99 »

I start work on Monday so I might as well make the best of my Friday. lol

I just started roughing in the decals and grass. Layout is about 80% complete.

kxalex31
Team: Evergood

Post by kxalex31 »

so does this mean less tracks :::((((
VMX_SKYmx99

Post by VMX_SKYmx99 »

Yes... It means fewer tracks. But don't worry, I'm not going anywhere. I just won't be able to do one or two a week anymore. I've made more this month than I have in 3 years. Lol
kxalex31
Team: Evergood

Post by kxalex31 »

alright man, good luck at your new job!
VMX_SKYmx99

Post by VMX_SKYmx99 »

Thanks man. I'm going to be a driver assistant at UPS. I'm not happy about it at all, but the phone isn't ringing for game design or graphics jobs and I need money. lol :mrgreen:
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

VMX_SKYmx99 wrote:Making Progress... Still have some decals to tweak. There is a rocky one in the pic that is too grayish. I'll fix it... Track coming soon!

That's pretty sick. I've got the urge to go and play Red Dead Redemption now
VMX_SKYmx99

Post by VMX_SKYmx99 »

Thanks DJ! Red Read Redemption is one of my all time favorites. Maybe at some point I'll model a ghost town or something and do another track with that theme. I love the way it turned out.
redbull57
Team: Privateer

Post by redbull57 »

Thanks to Kellen and SYS for those tutorials he's been putting out. I've been working on this slowly for about 2 days now. Extreme criticism can be applied because I've never made a track before. The layout and displacement are about halfway done. Also if anyone notices the decals or small tough block or skybox I'm using that I shouldn't be then I will change it. Once I get farther in and release it I know there are plenty of things wrong and that I'm not satisfied with but hey here's what I've got so far.Image
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

A lot better than most of the "first track" releases you see already. One thing I'll mention is that you are running the track too close to edge of the map. If you have part of the track run right up to the edge of the map, it tends to look bad because the skybox and ground meet very abruptly. Usually you'l want to have a decent amount of space between the edge of the track and map so you can fill it in with trees or whatever so that you don't notice a "wall".

Keep it up, though! It's a learning process but after a couple the things you used to struggle with become second nature.
redbull57

Post by redbull57 »

I didn't exactly ask for constructive but thanks for the constructive criticism haha I will definitely go back and touch up on that. Now my problem though is some sections I've already made are probably too close to the edge. Most sections are fixable because I haven't made anything there yet but some are made and too close. I would just up the size of the map but that changes the entire thing as a whole as far as I know as in the valley in the middle will be pulled back out to original map size. What should I do?
redbull57

Post by redbull57 »

DP but yeah thank you for actually being constructive. All too often I scroll the forums seeing people first attempts and horrible responses to it. I appreciate that a ton