Team: Privateer

Re: problems with saving...

Post by rewrew421 »

D.Eckels #421 "The O-G"
Netdemon01
Team: Privateer

Post by Netdemon01 »

I noticed something odd happening today that I think has to do with the saving problem others are having. I was trying to set the starting gates in the correct positions. So I edited the 'timing_gates' file in my game installation folder: G:\Program Files\MX Simulator\(trackname folder) and changed the 40 starting gates to the correct position. However when I started the game they were in the same spot as before. After some messing around, I looked in the OTHER mx simulator folder located within documents and settings: C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Local Settings\Application Data\MX Simulator\(trackname folder)
This folder also has all the track data. So I opened this other timing_gates file and saw that the numbers were unchanged. So I changed them to the correct location that I wanted and saved. When I started the game this time, the gates were in the correct location. So for some reason, I have to modify the files in both locations for things to work.

I've also had a few saving problems. It seems when I click save, the track is saved in the original location "G:\Program Files\MX Simulator\" but not in this location: "C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Local Settings\Application Data\MX Simulator"
and when the game loads up next time it tries to load the unsaved version found in the documents and settings location, causing things to appear unsaved.

Is the .exe prioritized to read data from the documents and settings location first?

"This game will always be about pushing it right to the edge without going over .... to keep up with the top riders you will still have to be right on the edge of control." - jlv
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

The "local appdata" folder ("C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Local Settings\Application Data\MX Simulator" on XP) has top priority. If the file exists in that folder it will be used instead of the install folder. Saves are supposed to always go to local appdata. If it's writing to the install folder that is a bug.