Steel City MX track

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
Netdemon01
Team: Privateer

Steel City MX track

Post by Netdemon01 »

I've been working on this one for quite a while. I've done some amateur races at Steel City (Delmont, PA) and it's always been one of my favorite tracks. I grabbed an aerial photo from http://maps.live.com/ which worked out great for the overall track layout. Then I pretty much pieced the jumps and everything together from memory of my own racing on the track and from watching the Nationals there a few times. I'm sure the track has changed since I last saw it so it might not be up to date.

Anyways, here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWxurPkk1vI

I'm having a frustrating time getting the AI to run a descent lap. Mostly because of all the elevation changes I think. If they crash on a steep uphill, they take forever to figure out how to get up it. I run about a 2:50 lap time with the RM125, compared to a real average lap time for a 125 on that track of 2:17 from Broc Hepler at last years National. So the track is a little bit off scale or I'm just going too slow. There is still some fine tuning to do to the track anyways.

Comments and questions are welcomed.

"This game will always be about pushing it right to the edge without going over .... to keep up with the top riders you will still have to be right on the edge of control." - jlv
rewrew421

Re: Steel City MX track

Post by rewrew421 »

Yea the scale is off, track seems way to wide(i know i am victim to this plague also, my tracks are always wide) and im not sure and some of the jumps look a little "enlarged". What i tend to do if i make a jump with the gradient tool is make it with the basic points pretty triangle like, paint it with about 50-60 focus and then come back across after im finished with the smoother at 100 foucs and 2.00 or 4.00 smooth and it makes some real nice jumps. Try it out :)

Amazing job man, check your private messages :)
D.Eckels #421 "The O-G"
Netdemon01

Post by Netdemon01 »

Yeah I figured the jumps were too large. I can still remember the feeling of jumping those two uphill doubles in real life and the air time didnt seem that long, but in the game its like 2 seconds. Wonder if there is an easy scale method, to just multiply every point by like 0.90 to scale the whole map by 10%. That'd be real handy :mrgreen:

I replied to your PM :)

"This game will always be about pushing it right to the edge without going over .... to keep up with the top riders you will still have to be right on the edge of control." - jlv
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

that triple with the ruts is awesome nice job
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
Netdemon01

Post by Netdemon01 »

Thanks, it was really just a test at first to see how the bike would react. But like the entire track, the ruts are overscaled and way wider than they should be. If the track erosion option gets a speed enhancement then we won't have to fake in the ruts :mrgreen:

Voutare

Post by Voutare »

There is a speed enhancement.

Put -- erode 100.0.

That will make it erode really, really fast.

Or, put it at -- erode .001 to make just dark areas, like on the other tracks already in game.
Netdemon01

Post by Netdemon01 »

Well by speed enhancement I meant that it wouldn't slow down everyones computer. I can play with erode at 1.0 but it's kind of laggy and not that fun.

Voutare

Post by Voutare »

Don't.

Run a robot, put on -- warp and let him ride for 10 laps. See how rutted it is, and save if you want to keep it.