MVA or MXS textures: Why not both!

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
DJ99X

MVA or MXS textures: Why not both!

Post by DJ99X »

I was having a read through some of the tutorials on MXHQ, when I came across the one about HD overlays. I always thought MVA used some sort of colour mode for its overlay, but after reading this tutorial, I found that it is just a black texture, with an alpha channel that gives it the dirt look. Read about it here: http://gaming.mx-hq.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=45

After reading that, it suddenly clicked that this could easily be done for MXS, but MXS textures can then be laid over the top of that. Here's what I did:

1) Made a base colour texture, made the decal the size of the map
2) Made an overlay texture like in that tutorial, and made a program that wrote the decals out so they tiled.
3) Put regular decals over the top (the track part)

So, tell us what you think about this system. Do you think it is the way to go? I would probably keep the on track textures the way they are, but use the MVA method for off track, as its more variant.

If it gets interest, I'll make up a new blank track folder.

Mind you, the overlay tile in this was only quickly done.

Try it out (called Hybrid Texture Test in game). Please refrain from using anything here till I release something official:

http://www.2shared.com/file/5578409/205 ... etest.html
yomo

Re: MVA or MXS textures: Why not both!

Post by yomo »

Yeah i think it looks alot better...

Man we really really really need to get that thing fixed with tiles away from the camera go blury.

JLV can we PLEASE have an option to turn that off...
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

I tested a style of texturing like this a while ago when Checkerz was working on his Atlanta Supercross. I wish I would have had that program you talk of though. It took me forever to hand write all the decals in for the HD overlay. Are you sure the HD overlay uses a "normal" blending style? I thought it was something a little more complex than that. This option for textures definitely could work out I think, when used properly.
hvpunk62

Post by hvpunk62 »

i feal like a noob cant figure out how to download it =/
mxbiker
Team: FSK

Post by mxbiker »

hvpunk62 wrote:i feal like a noob cant figure out how to download it =/
at the bottom right of the squirre it says
save file to your pc: click here
Proud MXS member since 2008
Still a MXS 125CC rider!
2011 SMA nationals championships leader
5th at the GP replica series 2011
3th overall with team Holland at the MXSON 2010
hvpunk62

Post by hvpunk62 »

haha thanks =P
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

ddmx488 wrote:I tested a style of texturing like this a while ago when Checkerz was working on his Atlanta Supercross. I wish I would have had that program you talk of though. It took me forever to hand write all the decals in for the HD overlay. Are you sure the HD overlay uses a "normal" blending style? I thought it was something a little more complex than that. This option for textures definitely could work out I think, when used properly.
Yeah, I thought the blending style would have been something like 'overlay' in photoshop. But what they did in that tutorial was, make a black layer, and use a grayscale image as the layer mask, so white spots got alpha'ed out
iiMaTxX
Team: Privateer

Post by iiMaTxX »

I think that looks sick, i dont like MVA though... it dont work with both my computers :( plus the riders look stupid and the modded freestlye moves are dumb
MattCross C:
SHANO

Post by SHANO »

I usually don't post, but I find this has a lot of potential. I've built a lot of tracks for MVA and I built a couple for MXS, including daytona which actually rides really fun. Using the current decals doesn't mesh with my current knowledge of texturing so they sit just blank and I'm just to busy to test out different ways to make it look good with decals. I know everyone would get a lot more tracks from me if this ends up working well.

SHANO
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

I'll get working on a blank track sometime soon then
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

DJ wrote:Yeah, I thought the blending style would have been something like 'overlay' in photoshop. But what they did in that tutorial was, make a black layer, and use a grayscale image as the layer mask, so white spots got alpha'ed out
Yeah, thats it. There is no blending mode for it in MvA that I know of either, it just sits on top of the textures.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

Im completely missing something i guess because mine doesnt look like anything its supposed to. Just a black square.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

So can you share your program?
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.