Decalling a full track in PS?

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
iceman967
Team: Aggressive Graphix

Decalling a full track in PS?

Post by iceman967 »

I may be behind most track makers when it comes to decalling but I just made a personal discovery. I decalled my entire 1024x1024 track with a 2048x2048 decal all through PS. If you guys are interested Ill show you how i did it!
"Just don't lose... ever" (James "bubba" Stewart-The Great Outdoors: A Constant War)
wheels1758

Re: Decalling a full track in PS?

Post by wheels1758 »

How is the:
1. Quality in game. Can we get a screenshot?
2. Lag? Does it lag bad because of the 2048x2048 decal?
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

iceman967 wrote:I may be behind most track makers when it comes to decalling but I just made a personal discovery. I decalled my entire 1024x1024 track with a 2048x2048 decal all through PS. If you guys are interested Ill show you how i did it!
I'm hoping to not burst the bubble, but what exactly are you saying you did here? Just make one giant 2048 decal to cover the entire track? Thats not really big news. Hopefully I'm not coming across as jackass-ish. If you do take this route then make a 4096 tile and break it into 16 1024 tiles. Thats the optimal way for this setup.
iceman967

Post by iceman967 »

No ddmx I hear you out. Ill post a little "tutorial" on what i did. I just need to increase the opacity on the ground texture and it should be sweet. Here is a screenshot...

"Just don't lose... ever" (James "bubba" Stewart-The Great Outdoors: A Constant War)
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

So its just a colored path, no actual textureing to it?
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

iceman967

Post by iceman967 »

Thanks DJ. I am wayyyyyy behind you in the whole track making thing...
What I did:
Took my terrain.png into photoshop, outlined the track using the polygonal lasso tool. Did a dark brown for the ontrack color, light brown for the off track texture.
I took my ruts.psd file in and changed all the opacities back to 100% then took a 2 pt brush and went over the ruts and bumps.
Did a little gaussin blurring on all the stuff.
Found a dirt texture, overlapped that with the dark brown, changed the opacity to a lower percentage.
Saved as trackdecal.png, made the decal using Notepad++ and moved it in the game.
To make the decal fit its (map size)*2 so for mine it was a 1024*2=2048 decal... it fits perfect.
yomo

Post by yomo »

As DDMX said you would really want to make it a bigger map but cut into separate textures.
gordy
Team: Privateer

Post by gordy »

i used a method similar to this for donington as well, except with a low opacity 2048 overlay with detailing underneath, instead of the other way around
instupitious.
iceman967

Post by iceman967 »

I was thinking of doing what you did gordy, but it would be more of race line with the high detail and the rest would look unused.

Yomo- this is for our facility. I'll send you guys some screenshots of it soon!