In-Game Editor or Photoshop?

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
tatro36
Team: Bel-Ray Yamaha

In-Game Editor or Photoshop?

Post by tatro36 »

So i plan to create a track for my team, and it will be my first real track. I have heard that Photoshop takes a lot more time and effort but produces a higher quality track, while the in-game editor just pisses a lot of people off, but they can still create great tracks..

Time isnt really an issue, i am just looking to create a great track. What i am asking, is would you guys recommend that is use photoshop or the ingame editor?
also, some tutorials would be great :)
GregDearman
Team: TVCO

Re: In-Game Editor or Photoshop?

Post by GregDearman »

when I make a track I like to make the base in the game editor then touch it up within earthsculptor

I've tried Photoshop and I've really struggled with it!
MX PRODIGY 17
Team: TBR

Post by MX PRODIGY 17 »

I always preferred editor, easier to work with imo. (And I know Photoshop pretty dam well)
tatro36
Team: Bel-Ray Yamaha

Post by tatro36 »

Alright, my main problem is just scaling.. Ill make tabletops that are impossible in 5th gear pinned on a 450.. and then the next jump will be not even 2 feet long
MX PRODIGY 17
Team: TBR

Post by MX PRODIGY 17 »

tatro36 wrote:Alright, my main problem is just scaling.. Ill make tabletops that are impossible in 5th gear pinned on a 450.. and then the next jump will be not even 2 feet long
It's just about getting used to it I guess. It may take you a few times to figure out. I would say start by using the same zoom and work on it from there.
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

How do you add ruts and stuff in photoshop? I know there's tutorials in the track editing section but beyond a tutorial what tips do you have?
checkerz
Team: RaGe Factory

Post by checkerz »

Ddavis wrote:How do you add ruts and stuff in photoshop? I know there's tutorials in the track editing section but beyond a tutorial what tips do you have?
Not sure what you mean by "stuff" but I hand draw much of the stuff on my nationals. Low opacity soft white and black brushes, using eraser/blur/smudge/blend modes/opacity to get the result I'm looking for based on application.

Ruts is generally a white "raise" piece with a solid 1 or 2 px brush, erase away the tips to blend smoothly, turn opacity way down, blur very slightly, duplicate layer, invert colors, move to inside for the dug in part, turn up opacity a bit, blur inside edge away to keep from "catching" the collision sphere.

all that may sound like a lot but it's maybe a 30-45 second process per rut at this point for me.
Sandhapper
Team: MotoRAD

Post by Sandhapper »

My main problem is making a base terrain, both in the editor and in PS. Then when I add my trackpath in PS to make the track flat (but still going up the hills etc), It's really odd, because I have these strange edges around my track, which aren't in real life tracks, so I always need to figure out how to fix this.
Any tips for me checkerz?
2013 EMF outdoors 2nd place overall
2013 MxSCentral outdoors 2nd place overall
2012 EMF outdoors 2nd overall
2012 SMA sx 2nd overall
2011 SMA outdoors champion

GregDearman
Team: TVCO

Post by GregDearman »

Sandhapper wrote:My main problem is making a base terrain, both in the editor and in PS. Then when I add my trackpath in PS to make the track flat (but still going up the hills etc), It's really odd, because I have these strange edges around my track, which aren't in real life tracks, so I always need to figure out how to fix this.
Any tips for me checkerz?
this may or may not be of use to you but i always make the base terrain in earthsculptor then put it into the editor to make the main track