Fixing choppy ruts?

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Fixing choppy ruts?

Post by Wahlamt »

Hi there.. I got some questions regarding "terrain.png" resolution and choppy ruts..

1. 1025x1025 vs 2049x2049 , is the difference that the gound is the same size ingame just that it has a higher resololution so the ground can be more detailed or is the "actual ground size" twice as big?

2. Is the ground quality is better, can I copy my 1025 terrain, make it twice as big in PhotoShop than save it in 2049 resolution and than continue on the track, and it would still be the same size ingame?

3. Does choppy ruts depend on the ground resolution?

Thanks for anyone who has the time to answer... ;)
checkerz
Team: RaGe Factory

Re: Fixing choppy ruts?

Post by checkerz »

1. 1025x1025 vs 2049x2049 , is the difference that the gound is the same size ingame just that it has a higher resololution so the ground can be more detailed or is the "actual ground size" twice as big?

Both. Well it can be. It can be the same size or twice as big based on your terrain.hf settings.
For example:
A. a 1025x1025 terrain set at 1.0 in the terrain.hf will be 1025 feet by 1025 feet large in game.
B. a 2049x2049 terrain set at 0.5 in the terrain.hf will be 1025 feet by 1025 feet large in game.
C. a 2049x2049 terrain set at 1.0 in the terrain.hf will be 2049 feet by 2049 feet large in game.

In examples A and C, 1 pixel represents 1 foot of terrain in game. In example B, 1 pixel represents 6 inches in game (or half a foot).
In examples A and B, the track is the same size, but B has more detail.
In example C, the terrain is twice as large as examples A and B.

2. Is the ground quality is better, can I copy my 1025 terrain, make it twice as big in PhotoShop than save it in 2049 resolution and than continue on the track, and it would still be the same size ingame?

If you make your terrain twice as big in PS, you will have to update your terrain.hf (change the 9 to a 10) first.

Then you must either:
A. double the size of your terrain (resize to 2049), make the scaling # half in your terrain.hf
B. Leave your actual track terrain from before the same size, but put it on a larger 2049 background.
Note, if you're looking for more detail, do A. If you're looking for additional space, do B.

3. Does choppy ruts depend on the ground resolution?

That's one of many causes. If you get a number (higher than 1.0 is usually when I start to notice it) in your terrain.hf that is too large, you begin to not get the smooth transition between pixel heights which can cause hard edges/choppyness.

It can also be caused by things that need smoothed.

If you try smoothing/blurring slightly and it either doesn't fix it or it immediately becomes a "blob" then you're ground resolution is likely the issue.
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

Thank you Checkerz for that good answer! I need more detailed so I'm going to try. Really nice to take the time and write that answer! Appriciated!
SevenMX
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Bill Sport Motor

Post by SevenMX »

Thx!
Crushed Dissenter

Post by 808 »

So when I try to change my png to 2049x2049, the actual terrain works fine, but now everything looks like this

James_122 wrote:The old folks home should limit you fossils on how much internet time you get a day. Hopefully they mashed your turkey meat up enough so you can chew it.
Crushed Dissenter

Post by 808 »

literally figured it out moments after posting this, but I guess consider this a bump but a great tutorial
James_122 wrote:The old folks home should limit you fossils on how much internet time you get a day. Hopefully they mashed your turkey meat up enough so you can chew it.