Ground Friction and Resistance Index

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
ShackAttack12

Re: Ground Friction and Resistance Index

Post by ShackAttack12 »

jlv wrote:
ShackAttack12 wrote:You see, the terrain is so fricken smooth in MXS that track creators then have to compensate with unrealistic friction to allow the bike to lean over. If we had realistic ruts (and MXS physics allowed the bike to stick in the rut), we wouldn't need unrealistic friction numbers, and you'd have to pick your lines better. What a concept!
I'm not so sure about that. Tiny ruts are extremely difficult even in real life where you can feel them. A lot of the reason to use high friction is to let you save it when you over/undershoot a rut.

Slippery is just harder in general. More realistic but more frustrating.
I totally understand the strategy of using higher friction to make things easier. However, I feel like the community is slowly squeezing realism out of this game (Suspension,etc), and has completely removed the traction element from the racing experience. I'd be fine with friction that was slightly higher than real life (maybe 0.9 or so), but >1.1 friction is just ludicrous to me. It's like riding on super smooth asphalt tracks.

A good part of motocross is throttle control, and in some cases you may want a lot of tire spin, but it really depends on the terrain. If you're riding on a hard packed track, you can't just hold the throttle pinned everywhere or else you'll be flat on your ass!

In real life, front end traction is constantly on my mind when riding, especially in flat corners and especially on dry days. In fact, i'm probably about 75% more worried about the front end than the back end in terms of traction. With realistic friction settings in MXS, i find myself doing the exact same thing, and even change my lines in order to find a rut or use a berm instead or round out the turn and flat track it.
ShackAttack12
| 2010 Supercross Champ | 2011 Supercross Champ | 2019 Supercross Champ |
M@xTizZz
Team: TizZy-Design

Post by M@xTizZz »

jlv wrote: When there's banking in the form of a berm or rut you can achieve any lean angle regardless of friction as long as the banking is steep enough. When trying to guesstimate friction from lean it has to be a flat corner.
oh okay, makes senses
so yeah 45 degrees is close to the maximum i guess
Maxime Tison
I AM NOT MXSEMF Official admin ANYMORE | PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT ME ABOUT MXSEMF
checkerz
Team: RaGe Factory

Post by checkerz »

It's been awhile since i've done this, but amazing the change you feel when you run with erode on. Slicker traction feels planted still. I guess same effect as having a berm or a rut as you have some resistance when leaning over.

You don't have to prove to me that we're too sticky, but actually finding that magic traction? That's the hard part.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Ezra wrote:Also, i feel like the tire collisions being as large as they are makes small ruts quite difficult, as theres no real way to get a tire to "stick" in a rut, really its just like a bunch of little berms, with the tire behaving as a sphere on an incline plane...
The wheel collisions are torus shaped. The only exception is when two wheels collide in which case it uses an approximation using spheres. (It turns out torus vs torus collision detection is really complicated.)
ShackAttack12 wrote:I totally understand the strategy of using higher friction to make things easier. However, I feel like the community is slowly squeezing realism out of this game (Suspension,etc), and has completely removed the traction element from the racing experience. I'd be fine with friction that was slightly higher than real life (maybe 0.9 or so), but >1.1 friction is just ludicrous to me. It's like riding on super smooth asphalt tracks.

A good part of motocross is throttle control, and in some cases you may want a lot of tire spin, but it really depends on the terrain. If you're riding on a hard packed track, you can't just hold the throttle pinned everywhere or else you'll be flat on your ass!

In real life, front end traction is constantly on my mind when riding, especially in flat corners and especially on dry days. In fact, i'm probably about 75% more worried about the front end than the back end in terms of traction. With realistic friction settings in MXS, i find myself doing the exact same thing, and even change my lines in order to find a rut or use a berm instead or round out the turn and flat track it.
I can't disagree with any of that. >1.1 is like road racing traction. One thing that might be worth exploring is lower traction but with a curve that helps you save it after the initial slip. If you think about the holy grail of perfect loamy dirt, its best quality isn't actually higher overall traction, it's that when you lose traction it happens slowly enough that you can catch it before you're on your elbow. I think that's because it has a high sliding friction compared to static friction. The blue groove hardpack that everyone hates is the opposite, once it breaks traction it's gone. Lots of static friction with low sliding friction.

That's why my SX traction had that 1.5 ramp up (albeit at very high slip rates). I was trying to add some saveability to it. Now I'm thinking maybe I should have made an initial fall off with a smaller ramp up that kicks in sooner. Maybe something like .9 @ 0-2 f/s, .75 @ 3 f/s and 1.0 at 5 f/s. The idea being you'd feel the drop off at 2 f/s but be saved by the slightly higher friction when it ramps up.
checkerz wrote:It's been awhile since i've done this, but amazing the change you feel when you run with erode on. Slicker traction feels planted still. I guess same effect as having a berm or a rut as you have some resistance when leaning over.

You don't have to prove to me that we're too sticky, but actually finding that magic traction? That's the hard part.
I'd have to double check to be sure but I don't think it actually modifies the terrain until you've passed over it. So you shouldn't be feeling any effect until the next lap around.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
AWood
Team: Who Knows...

Post by AWood »

i may be in the minority here but i think its fine how it is. even if t is "too sticky" to be realistic. it rides fine. and you can still slide out.
barrington314 wrote:awood is right
Leclair wrote:My name is barking
Leclair wrote:i fuck you
2014 rF GNC 22nd Overall - 2014 rF 450 SX 12th - 2014 rF 450 MX 11th Overall
2013 rF GNC 17th Overall - 2013 rF 450 SX 17th - 2013 rF 450 MX 8th - 2013 EMF French Cup Open World 6th
Jay

Post by Jay »

Any side you are on is considered the minority
BydesigndecalsCO
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Privateer

Post by BydesigndecalsCO »

Jay wrote:Any side you are on is considered the minority
:shock:
patrickhartle79
Team: VENOM

Post by patrickhartle79 »

HAS ANYONE FOUND TRACTION LIKE 2022 ATL? Im looking for sumthin similar but has a lot more drag when u chop the throttle as if the bike actually has engine breaking.
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

patrickhartle79 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:41 am HAS ANYONE FOUND TRACTION LIKE 2022 ATL? Im looking for sumthin similar but has a lot more drag when u chop the throttle as if the bike actually has engine breaking.
You can use the traction from that track :)
patrickhartle79
Team: VENOM

Post by patrickhartle79 »

Wahlamt wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:08 pm
patrickhartle79 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:41 am HAS ANYONE FOUND TRACTION LIKE 2022 ATL? Im looking for sumthin similar but has a lot more drag when u chop the throttle as if the bike actually has engine breaking.
You can use the traction from that track :)
how ? its a saf