Upcoming Tracks and Track Objects #2

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
checkerz
Team: RaGe Factory

Re: Upcoming Tracks and Track Objects #2

Post by checkerz »

Jay wrote: I just think you could do some minor things and make it look heaps better up close not just have a killer birds eye
How about instead of just leaving a douchebag, personal ego stroking comment; you provide something constructive or put a roll of duct tape over your mouth and hands so your keyboard and voice go un-used because the crap you are spewing is useless anyways.

I still love you jay, but don't be a dick.
mxsrider96
Team: PoGo

Post by mxsrider96 »

Atom6246 wrote:Looks nice. Just curious wheres the finish going to be this year? Is that in that background?
pretty sure the finish is close to where it was last year, that table at the top of the hill heading back down. I could very easily be wrong though
WAR CRY <3
Sun Burn
Mr. Wiggles
Team: GSR/137 Kid

Post by Mr. Wiggles »

Jay wrote:
Racers52 wrote:Image

good from far
far from good

I honestly don't mean that to be an asshole I just think you could do some minor things and make it look heaps better up close not just have a killer birds eye... this isnt flight sim
Wait this isn't flight sim fuck I bought the game bye
Bottom feeder at LCQ Studios
Internet Nice Guy!
Cody Darr
Team: Start Your Systems

Post by Cody Darr »

2011 LRS Monday Night local Series 125 Pro Champion
jlv wrote:What a dope! He should have saved that move for the last lap like Cody Darr!
checkerz

Post by checkerz »

High Point is coming along real good.
Sandhapper
Team: MotoRAD

Post by Sandhapper »

Jay wrote:
good from far
far from good

I honestly don't mean that to be an asshole I just think you could do some minor things and make it look heaps better up close not just have a killer birds eye... this isnt flight sim
I'm curious to know what you think could be improved. The things you'll point out may help me in the future as well.
2013 EMF outdoors 2nd place overall
2013 MxSCentral outdoors 2nd place overall
2012 EMF outdoors 2nd overall
2012 SMA sx 2nd overall
2011 SMA outdoors champion

Tristan.Botteram
Team: MotoSport.com

Post by Tristan.Botteram »

Getting my first selfmade object ready for my new track :roll:
Image0
Jay

Post by Jay »

He is relying on the overlay for more detail than it can offer at such a large scale
It looks like he is using a max of 3 decals 1 grass 1 possibly 2 dirt and that's the extent of the variety offered at close range- without the overlay this track would look like a glorified stock track.

I honestly did not mean to be a douche... if I did I would have left it at my first comment and not added the sentence under it....
I meant to more or less challenge Race to try some things that may make the track look better because he is already killing it with the overlays...

Chris you're that annoying protective dad that no one wants around.... let race take some negative feedback for a change.
Sandhapper I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or not
checkerz

Post by checkerz »

Jay wrote:He is relying on the overlay for more detail than it can offer at such a large scale
It looks like he is using a max of 3 decals 1 grass 1 possibly 2 dirt and that's the extent of the variety offered at close range- without the overlay this track would look like a glorified stock track.

I honestly did not mean to be a douche... if I did I would have left it at my first comment and not added the sentence under it....
I meant to more or less challenge Race to try some things that may make the track look better because he is already killing it with the overlays...

Chris you're that annoying protective dad that no one wants around.... let race take some negative feedback for a change.
Sandhapper I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or not
Had you included that first paragraph in your post, I would've had nothing to comment about. Yes, I feel it's important to stand up for the guys that are busting their butts week in and week out and are constantly a target for crap comments. Sorry it's annoying to you, but your troll comment history towards Race is annoying towards me.

There is a big difference between negative feedback and shit comments... your post was a shit comment because feedback would actually include specifics like your last post.

Race takes feedback better than anyone I've ever worked with and is more than okay with admitting he isn't the best. If you look closely, you'll also see this track is not like any others he's done before and is actually done like Haggqvist used to do his with the off track overlay and much less impact from the overlay on track. So, you are correct with the feedback on past tracks and Race is progressing and doing exactly what you're saying.
Jay

Post by Jay »

can I talk to Race not his receptionist ?
checkerz

Post by checkerz »

Jay wrote:can I talk to Race not his receptionist ?
I have a bit more free time since I've been fired as your employment agent, so I picked up the job as Race's emotional support dog. *ruff ruff
Racers52

Post by Racers52 »

Jay wrote:He is relying on the overlay for more detail than it can offer at such a large scale
The past year and couple of this years rounds, yes.

The main reasoning behind this was to increase visibility of ruts and bumps which is the largest complaint of outdoors tracks.

Honestly the overlay can hold alot of detail and if used properly and played in game at high settings. Haggavist is basically the master of this technique but unfortunately many of his updated GP tracks are so visually demanding, hardly anyone can play them. Go download and play http://www.mediafire.com/file/v75dcy97d ... .angely.7z and you will understand this aspect of high detail overlays.

Where I noticed problems with the overlay being used in high detail is when the packaging script resizes the overlays. This takes away alot of the the detail in the overlay and hence causes visibility issues. Best way to try to solving this is by using low detail overlays saved with low opacities and high detailed decals. While this method does look very good, it can increase file sizes and depending how strong the decals normal mapping are, can affect shading to where you cant see rough and ruts.

The method I have been trying is basically the Hagg approach. I would like to say that the tracks I have done this year have been a nice balance of medium detailed and high-medium performance. My goal is to essentially give a feel of a replica but try to offer some detail to those guys that have good PC's and some decent performance to those guys that have not so good PC's. It is a large group to cater for and I still have not and probably wont have a perfect method for this but I try my best. I am sure there are ways to achieve high detail, high performance, perfect shading and enviroment but I honestly have not had enough experience to create this yet.Image

Jay wrote:It looks like he is using a max of 3 decals 1 grass 1 possibly 2 dirt and that's the extent of the variety offered at close range- without the overlay this track would look like a glorified stock track.
True. This is the most efficient way to do a replica (time wise) for me. And like I said previously, I still think this is the best method overall.

I would love to see a non-overlay national, I think the detail would be awesome but it would be a massive project. Definitely not possible within the week in and week out schedule for nationals based off of one person working on it.
Jay

Post by Jay »

Chris can you just fuck off... you're being a tool almost to a gender equality feminist level and this conversation never did/will invite you to be apart of it... you never see me say much about your work because you handle things like this.

Thanks for explaining that Race, I didn't realize about the resizing thing and all the rest makes sense... I'm trying a way with a 16k texture and tiling it in 1024 images and trying to do away with decals apart from tread norms.. I'm no genius but so far the smaller I make the tiles the better the game is performing and I have the file size down to 50 mb.... obviously a national would be a larger scale and a little harder but the overlay itself took only a day.

Again I really didn't mean to offend you Race your overlays are incredible just figured you might be tuning them too much in comparison to what could be more important and I said this with the first thing that came to mind "Good from far, far from good " then explained myself in the paragraph following to try and not come across too strong... + you're not my favorite person in the world anyway, I really didn't want to hold your hand through the whole issue as I've done in the past.
Sandhapper
Team: MotoRAD

Post by Sandhapper »

Jay wrote:Sandhapper I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or not
Nope I wasn't.
I'm seriously interested in this stuff.
2013 EMF outdoors 2nd place overall
2013 MxSCentral outdoors 2nd place overall
2012 EMF outdoors 2nd overall
2012 SMA sx 2nd overall
2011 SMA outdoors champion

Jay

Post by Jay »

This is what I had a while ago... was showing Kyle (with a few side notes)
now each of those is split 4 ways

I've been doing AX tracks like it for years so now I'm trying to bump the scale up alittle

its surprisingly quick to do if you script it in ps and automate it all and all I did was make 4 jumps a ttop and a berm out of loam in the back yard

Now to what Im actually working on