Decals Norm PROBLEM

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
edodane
Team: Privateer

Decals Norm PROBLEM

Post by edodane »

Hi guys, I'm working on a Supermoto track, starting from a supercross track. My main problem is tha the decal's norms are visible even when the decal isn't, so the final effect is something like this:

I know i can delete the norm, but the overall quality would be a lot better with (of course only where needed)
So: Can i do something? Any help is appreciated :mrgreen:
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Re: Decals Norm PROBLEM

Post by Wahlamt »

If I understood you correctly, wouldn't it help just to delete the underlying decal that isn't showing? :)
edodane

Post by edodane »

Yes it would, BUT making a SM track is quite different: you cannot have only asphalt, you should add a "Base texture" like sand or dirt, so is quite difficult to delete it just on the asphalt zone and leave it around, specially because the base is usually a big texture so you don't have to place a lot of them. Best thing I tought in the last few minutes is to "add" the norm in the texture with photoshop(don't know how), it's a compromise: do not have a real norm, but it looks like.
edodane

Post by edodane »

This is a good one: ( also is a never seen track preview :mrgreen: )

This is a track build from nothing, the other one is a Re-edit so I cannot chose the textures
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

Go into the decal folder and change the dirt norm name. It looks it set as "_tnorm" which makes them way more extreme.
VMX_SKYmx99
Team: BOMR

Post by VMX_SKYmx99 »

wait... so there is another option besides "_tnorm?" I didn't know that. :shock:
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

VMX_SKYmx99 wrote:wait... so there is another option besides "_tnorm?" I didn't know that. :shock:
Didn't think _norm worked :shock:
edodane

Post by edodane »

Wahlamt wrote:
VMX_SKYmx99 wrote:wait... so there is another option besides "_tnorm?" I didn't know that. :shock:
This is wizardry :shock:
I didn't know about "_tnorm", always used _norm, also didn't notice on the decal's name there was a t. Now it works, thanks Alex! :D
VMX_SKYmx99
Team: BOMR

Post by VMX_SKYmx99 »

edodane wrote:
Wahlamt wrote:
This is wizardry :shock:
I didn't know about "_tnorm", always used _norm, also didn't notice on the decal's name there was a t. Now it works, thanks Alex! :D
Who knew? lol I guess it's true we learn something new everyday!
SMR 510RR

Post by SMR 510RR »

If you put a decal on top of another decal and the one on bottom has a normal and the one on top doesn't then it shows through. If you add a norm (it could be normal map blue 255 255 128 and 16x16 px) then it will screen it out. Would be better to make yourself an asphalt norm to go with your texture though and what will really bring asphalt alive is the spec.
edodane

Post by edodane »

I'm not very good with normals and spec so i tried something but couldn't notice big difference, but here the problem was different, even with the asphalt norm, the result was the same, because the mud norm was a "tnorm",when i changed to norm it was ok
VUSTTOS
Team: Spanish MX Gamers

Post by VUSTTOS »

I don't know how can I help you with this but your bikes with two pipes looks amazing.
Alex V111#1017
edodane

Post by edodane »

VUSTTOS wrote:I don't know how can I help you with this but your bikes with two pipes looks amazing.
Thanks! don't know when but I'll release them, need to work with the cutout, spec and some details... Don't worry! at the end i solved like aeffertz said :D
VUSTTOS
Team: Spanish MX Gamers

Post by VUSTTOS »

edodane wrote:
VUSTTOS wrote:I don't know how can I help you with this but your bikes with two pipes looks amazing.
Thanks! don't know when but I'll release them, need to work with the cutout, spec and some details... Don't worry! at the end i solved like aeffertz said :D
Awwesome man! I love supermoto too. I always have ton of fun playing in supermoto tracks with friends.

We need a Supermoto series. Maybe with the release of those Supermoto bike models people get hyped about it.
Alex V111#1017