Exporting issues

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
vonhooseondon
Team: Privateer

Exporting issues

Post by vonhooseondon »

Ive been working on an arena to be used in mx sim. I have been making a test model in maya, then saving and importing into blender. I then exported the jm from blender, but once its in game, it is very small and is rotated to point vertically. When trying to scale the model up in blender, and rotate it to correct the in-game orientation, nothing changes. Any ideas?
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: Exporting issues

Post by jlv »

Switch to edit mode before you scale/rotate the model.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
vonhooseondon

Post by vonhooseondon »

jlv wrote:Switch to edit mode before you scale/rotate the model.
Still cant get it to work. I tried a few times and ended up with the same size and wrong orientation. I almost feel like its an issue with exporting from maya because i was being thrown errors relating to geometry depending on what file extension i used, but then again i have almost no experience with blender.
vonhooseondon

Post by vonhooseondon »

Filling my thread again, here is what ive got so far.
Maya uses the Y axis as vertical, where blender uses Z. Changing the import orientation fixed this issue when exporting .obj from maya, so now in game its facing the right direction and changing the scale in maya/blender changes it in-game. Now im stuck without textures although I unwrapped it all in maya and tested to make sure it works. The only way I can get textures in-game is to export the model as .fbx from maya. However anything i do to that model in blender, scale and orientation wise, doesn't change anything in-game.
dearnhardtfan7

Post by dearnhardtfan7 »

Before you export from blender, switch to object mode and go into object menu>apply>rotation & scale

R.I.P. Jacob Nash #241
PSN-chrismri463
xfire--cmarona463
vonhooseondon

Post by vonhooseondon »

dearnhardtfan7 wrote:Before you export from blender, switch to object mode and go into object menu>apply>rotation & scale
Ive fixed the orientation issues, but now I cannot see the textures in-game. I've checked 40 times in the statues file and made sure everything is correct in there, and the UV appears the same in maya and in blender.
dearnhardtfan7

Post by dearnhardtfan7 »

I use Rhino for my initial model and then use blender just for file translation to .jm so I feel your pain.

So if you export as .fbx from Maya, you get textures in-game but model changes in blender don't affect the in-game model, correct? That was my thinking in my original explanation.

When you are not seeing textures in-game, are you seeing just a wire frame object in the editor with an invisible object when in 1st or 3rd person view? If that is the case, then it could be that your object origin is set to the top of the object in blender, which would cause the object to be underground.
R.I.P. Jacob Nash #241
PSN-chrismri463
xfire--cmarona463
vonhooseondon

Post by vonhooseondon »

When exporting from maya as .fbx, thats exactly what happens. When exporting from maya as .obj, i can modify the model, but have no textures in game. It is for sure above ground, as in the picture it shows my object blocking things in the backround. I honestly have no idea anymore.

dearnhardtfan7

Post by dearnhardtfan7 »

If you want to send me a copy of your object I would be glad to do some testing myself and see if I can help you out
R.I.P. Jacob Nash #241
PSN-chrismri463
xfire--cmarona463