Shadows.pgm Problems

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
Sabo
Team: <3 lane

Shadows.pgm Problems

Post by Sabo »

I've been making a track recently and I can't get these damned shadows to work. I've done them before and I have the shadows.pgm file done and in the folder, but no matter what I do I (smoothing at -5 strength, /forcereload) cannot get the shadows to render in game. Am I missing something that I need to do? I have a lot of statues, so the editor is at about -70000000 fps, but I'll try just about anything. If you have any ideas (decal shadows are not an option) or need anything to help diagnose my problem, let me know! Any help is appreciated, this getting is quite frustrating lol.

If you can help fix my problem I'll send you a beta to try, I need people since its an erode dedicated track. If you've ridden Peach Farms, this track has big jumps too, but no collidable bales ;).
TeamHavocRacing wrote:As I awake from champagne wishes and caviar dreams, I realize it's back to Pabst Blue Ribbon and Doritos.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: Shadows.pgm Problems

Post by jlv »

The file has to be a true PGM file. To check it, open the shadows.pgm file in a text editor. The first three lines should look something like this:

P5
1025 1025
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Sabo

Post by Sabo »

No dice.

It was:
P6
so I changed it to:
P6
2049 2049
but no change. Could it still be formatted differently because of the two separate lines for resolution?
TeamHavocRacing wrote:As I awake from champagne wishes and caviar dreams, I realize it's back to Pabst Blue Ribbon and Doritos.
barrington314
Team: me

Post by barrington314 »

Sabo wrote:smoothing at -5 strength
just fyi, this still might smooth a little bit. If you do it enough, it'll probably become noticeable. Better way is to have raise tool on and make the submode say "lower only".
Sabo wrote:(decal shadows are not an option)
Why not? If you can open it in photoshop, then you could use it as a decal overlay if you don't find another solution.
Also, I think really low graphics settings might cause you to not see the shadows, even though they are there. I think they get so blurry that it just blends to everything else.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Sabo wrote:No dice.

It was:
P6
so I changed it to:
P6
2049 2049
but no change. Could it still be formatted differently because of the two separate lines for resolution?
It has to be a P5 grayscale image. P6 is RGB. Try converting to grayscale before you export it.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

jlv wrote:

It was:
P6
so I changed it to:
P6
2049 2049
It has to be a P5 grayscale image. P6 is RGB. Try converting to grayscale before you export it.
I bet that's why whenever I export in PS they never work! Thanks for tip.
Sabo

Post by Sabo »

jlv wrote:

It was:
P6
so I changed it to:
P6
2049 2049
That fixed my problem, thanks JLV! I figure you're busy doing stuff but if I upload something for my friends, I'll send you a link for lolz.
Sabo

Post by Sabo »

barrington314 wrote:
Sabo wrote:smoothing at -5 strength
just fyi, this still might smooth a little bit. If you do it enough, it'll probably become noticeable. Better way is to have raise tool on and make the submode say "lower only".

I'll have to remember that. It definitely feels a little bit more tame, but erode will eat it up.
Sabo wrote:(decal shadows are not an option)
Why not? If you can open it in photoshop, then you could use it as a decal overlay if you don't find another solution.
Also, I think really low graphics settings might cause you to not see the shadows, even though they are there. I think they get so blurry that it just blends to everything else.
I might end up doing that anyways, now I'm having problems because the shadows are too dark and the track is too bright. It's a culmination of problems, but atleast I know how to fix these lmao.
barrington314
Team: me

Post by barrington314 »

Sabo wrote:
I might end up doing that anyways, now I'm having problems because the shadows are too dark and the track is too bright. It's a culmination of problems, but atleast I know how to fix these lmao.
Lower the opacity on the shadows in photoshop.
Sabo

Post by Sabo »

barrington314 wrote:
Sabo wrote:
Sabo

Post by Sabo »

barrington314 wrote:
Sabo wrote: