Online erode

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
pulse

Online erode

Post by pulse »

Are tracks now a days now being made more smooth and to dang there no ruts for the online erode system?

Also can you do a online erode race to made the ruts and save the height map in game editor?
ColtonD719
Team: Privateer

Re: Online erode

Post by ColtonD719 »

Some people have started releasing tracks with two versions, a normal rutted version, and a smooth version for erode. Just how smooth the smooth version is varies. Sometimes it is helpful to have a little bit of roughness built in to get things started.

You can check out the tracks here or my version of Monster Mountain for ideas.

And yes, you can save the ruts. I believe you can just hit "s" in the editor at whatever point you would like to save, just like offline.
ColtonD719

Post by ColtonD719 »

Btw, I am curious what erode setting you guys run on single player if you're testing out different tileinfo settings on your own?

Obviously, the erode setting you use can significantly affect your perception of a particular erode depth, etc. As an extreme example, if I test my tileinfo setting at --erode 1 in single player, I might crank my erode depth up to something crazy high just to see an effect. But then if someone puts that track on a server and has a 10-lap, 20 person race at --erode 15, it will be impossible to ride.

I think it would be really helpful to figure out some kind of guideline for erode settings depending on the number of people on the track, or even total laps (=riders*laps). That would give track creators some kind of baseline to work from, and give race hosts a good idea of how to set the erode on their server.

For example, (totally guessing here) 10-lap race:
1-5 riders, --erode 20
5-10 riders, --erode 10
10-20 riders, --erode 5
20-40 riders, --erode 2.5
40+ riders, --erode 1

Any thoughts?
pulse

Post by pulse »

Wish I finished my Monster mountain before I went into the army haha

ColtonD719

Post by ColtonD719 »

pulse wrote:Wish I finished my Monster mountain before I went into the army haha
Finish it! Mine is a way older layout anyway.