Released Track Objects

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
ColtonD719
Team: Privateer

Re: Released Track Objects

Post by ColtonD719 »

Is anyone aware of an efficient way to make a wire or chain link fence that doesn't abruptly disappear at a short distance, or angle? Or is there a good fence out there that doesn't do this?

You can see the problem I'm trying to avoid on the left fence in this image:

Thanks!
Aaron Hall
Team: Architech

Post by Aaron Hall »

ColtonD719 wrote:Is anyone aware of an efficient way to make a wire or chain link fence that doesn't abruptly disappear at a short distance, or angle? Or is there a good fence out there that doesn't do this?
Thanks!
The only way stop this from happening is have all the wire modelled instead of a plane and a texture which it is now
maggett wrote:when JLV gives u a good dickslappin
ROSE822 wrote:braden carter die u inbred veggie cunt
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

ColtonD719 wrote:Is anyone aware of an efficient way to make a wire or chain link fence that doesn't abruptly disappear at a short distance, or angle? Or is there a good fence out there that doesn't do this?

You can see the problem I'm trying to avoid on the left fence in this image:

Thanks!
On a 'personal' level, I think nvidia anisotropic filtering helps to see stuff like this for longer. Crank it up to 16x and you should be good o go I think.
ColtonD719

Post by ColtonD719 »

Thanks guys.
Aaron Hall wrote:
Thanks!
The only way stop this from happening is have all the wire modelled instead of a plane and a texture which it is now
That's what I was afraid of. It seems like the number of polys necessary to model each wire would be excessive. I'm concerned I'd cripple people's computers by running that amount of model detail all around the track.
Wahlamt wrote:On a 'personal' level, I think nvidia anisotropic filtering helps to see stuff like this for longer. Crank it up to 16x and you should be good o go I think.
Makes sense. However, I'm on a mac and don't know of a way to get into the graphics card settings.

Could custom mipmaps possibly help here?
Aaron Hall

Post by Aaron Hall »

ColtonD719 wrote:Thanks guys.
Aaron Hall wrote:
Thanks!
The only way stop this from happening is have all the wire modeled instead of a plane and a texture which it is now
That's what I was afraid of. It seems like the number of polys necessary to model each wire would be excessive. I'm concerned I'd cripple people's computers by running that amount of model detail all around the track.
it wouldn't be too bad as emf/rf have used it for a long with metal barriers which have modeled bars for it, and as long as you make LODs for it you should be fine
Wahlamt

Post by Wahlamt »

ColtonD719 wrote:
Wahlamt wrote:On a 'personal' level, I think nvidia anisotropic filtering helps to see stuff like this for longer. Crank it up to 16x and you should be good o go I think.
Makes sense. However, I'm on a mac and don't know of a way to get into the graphics card settings.

Could custom mipmaps possibly help here?
Didn't realize you were! I've never found any settings like that on my mac, not by searching now either. Mipmaps probably won't do anything at all unfortunately.
Boblob801
Team: <3 Andy

Post by Boblob801 »

You could always have a plane with the texture alpha'd and then make a lod for the distance which is just a bunch of long poly squares with the texture over it no alpha. Luckily that makes zero sense so I'll post a pic soon
Hi
ColtonD719

Post by ColtonD719 »

Boblob801 wrote:You could always have a plane with the texture alpha'd and then make a lod for the distance which is just a bunch of long poly squares with the texture over it no alpha. Luckily that makes zero sense so I'll post a pic soon
I think I know what you mean. If you have a pic to illustrate though that'd be great!

Thanks for pointing that out Aaron. I may have to give it a shot.

Storken, yeah, being on Mac adds an extra layer of difficulty for everything MXS, but I've been managing to figure it out!
ColtonD719

Post by ColtonD719 »

Aaron Hall wrote:it wouldn't be too bad as emf/rf have used it for a long with metal barriers which have modeled bars for it, and as long as you make LODs for it you should be fine
Made a version with modeled wires and it looks much better. Now I need to figure out the LODs. I found this thread with some info, any other tips would be much appreciated!
Aaron Hall

Post by Aaron Hall »

ColtonD719 wrote: Made a version with modeled wires and it looks much better. Now I need to figure out the LODs. I found this thread with some info, any other tips would be much appreciated!
With it being the wire mesh which will probably cause the most lag on lower end PC's, it will be quite hard to do simple because for each LOD you make you do less vertices, but with it being the wire which is taking up most of the verts it will be quite hard to make it so you still have the wire there with less verts. If i was doing it I would find the right distance LOD and then just have it so it is a plain with a texture instead of the individual wires. Hopefully some of that makes sense :roll:
AtlasZoor
Team: Atlas Trackworks

Post by AtlasZoor »

Does anyone know a track with good overhead banners? I have looked all over but all the good ones are on safed tracks.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Wahlamt

Post by Wahlamt »

AtlasZoor wrote:Does anyone know a track with good overhead banners? I have looked all over but all the good ones are on safed tracks.
Haggqvists, start at page 1 and work forward. He has released the ones from the 2013 gps
AtlasZoor

Post by AtlasZoor »

Wahlamt wrote:
AtlasZoor wrote:Does anyone know a track with good overhead banners? I have looked all over but all the good ones are on safed tracks.
Haggqvists, start at page 1 and work forward. He has released the ones from the 2013 gps
thanks so much!
D_ROY178

Post by D_ROY178 »

i must be missing them all, but I cant find a mechanics pit mat? like the thing the bike stand goes on. Anyone pls??
AtlasZoor

Post by AtlasZoor »

D_ROY178 wrote:i must be missing them all, but I cant find a mechanics pit mat? like the thing the bike stand goes on. Anyone pls??
The bike stand mat is not an object its a decal. Herricks compound has the decal you are looking for.