Uneven lighting on statues

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
AtlasZoor
Team: Atlas Trackworks

Uneven lighting on statues

Post by AtlasZoor »

So as you can see below the bridge is being weird.
I was trying to move the sun to reflect better but I can never find a good place. Is this a problem that is easy to fix?
wilson213
Team: Privateer

Re: Uneven lighting on statues

Post by wilson213 »

It looks like the normal is flipped
AtlasZoor

Post by AtlasZoor »

wilson213 wrote:It looks like the normal is flipped
The normal is in the same orientation as the texture. So Im not sure.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

When you're in blender select all the faces and switch them to smooth shaded (Mesh / Faces / Shade Smooth). That will make the shading match the game. Once you've done that you'll find you need to split the edges at then ends of your bridge.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Aaron Hall
Team: Architech

Post by Aaron Hall »

If you want a 'flat' look then just edge split it.
maggett wrote:when JLV gives u a good dickslappin
ROSE822 wrote:braden carter die u inbred veggie cunt
AtlasZoor

Post by AtlasZoor »

jlv wrote:When you're in blender select all the faces and switch them to smooth shaded (Mesh / Faces / Shade Smooth). That will make the shading match the game. Once you've done that you'll find you need to split the edges at then ends of your bridge.
So I did the smooth shade and it looked better. But I'm not sure I did the edge split right. What I did was I selected the faces of the edge of the bridge where is connects to the other one. Then I hit ctrl-E and hit edge split. Is that right? Also I don't know if this matters but I'm using an array modifier to duplicate the bridge and not just duplicating them and lining it up.
On the left is before I did the shade and edge. Right is after. As you can tell it looks better but there is still a bit of a shading difference. Now I don't know if this now comes down to lighting and me changing the sun direction. Also the seam is very noticeable.

sorry for the long reply. :lol:
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

It's better to use an edge split modifier instead of manually splitting so it's easier to edit later. I think you missed an edge on the left side somewhere but it's hard to tell just from a screenshot. In blender there's a setting to show the vertex normals which will help you find the bad one.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Jeremy150
Team: MV Films

Post by Jeremy150 »

Yeah it looks like either you didn't split the edge on the top left of that picture, or maybe it could be the AO map? Maybe you had a poor AO bake and it is darker in that corner, so you get that bad repeated look.
AtlasZoor

Post by AtlasZoor »

jlv wrote:It's better to use an edge split modifier instead of manually splitting so it's easier to edit later. I think you missed an edge on the left side somewhere but it's hard to tell just from a screenshot. In blender there's a setting to show the vertex normals which will help you find the bad one.
yes thanks! that fixed It I just didn't get all the edges. I do appreciate your guys help. :D