Some help before i start a big-ish project please ?

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
Judan

Some help before i start a big-ish project please ?

Post by Judan »

Hey,
Ok, so basicly im going to make a fmx style track using models as the scenery buildings etc, i just need to know a few things before i race into it...

-If the terrain is set flat (no jumps, no nothing) will it only count as the one face (ie lowest poly count possible)?

-Whats the max amount of polygons able to be used in game for it to run smoothly?

-Is it possible to edit/import the grey scale terrain (as a 3d plane) into 3dsmax-2009?, and if so could anyone link me to a tutorial on it or just a simple explenation on it ?

-How do you make colission files for models ?

It would help out heaps if all these could be answered soon-ish im wanting to start as soon as possible.

Thanks, Judan
Goardy
Team: Satan

Re: Some help before i start a big-ish project please ?

Post by Goardy »

using a model for the terrain will not work, the collisions use spheres, so its impossible to get a smooth ride.
Get a pack of dogs up ya!
ゲイセックス、笑
Sweendoggy
Team: Lone Wolf

Post by Sweendoggy »

Way to shoot down his plan...hahaha

I would say that is the main reason we don't have FMX jumps. You could still make a really fun "dirt hit" based FMX park...or a sick free ride area which we don't have enough of!
Judan

Post by Judan »

You take me as a noobie here D: i know about all that crud i was making scenery using models for example a stadium is scenery yet in mine it will be a city, the ramps down ramps will be made using the usual..

So my plain is still in flight hah

now stop treating me like a noobie and answer my questions hah
Mona
Team: MotoOption

Post by Mona »

Judan wrote: -If the terrain is set flat (no jumps, no nothing) will it only count as the one face (ie lowest poly count possible)?

-Whats the max amount of polygons able to be used in game for it to run smoothly?

-Is it possible to edit/import the grey scale terrain (as a 3d plane) into 3dsmax-2009?, and if so could anyone link me to a tutorial on it or just a simple explenation on it ?

-How do you make colission files for models ?
jlv wrote:MX Sim, like any good terrain engine, uses less geometry for flat terrain.
Check: http://mxsimulator.com/benchracing3/vie ... f=2&t=4235

2. I couldn't tell you, it probably depends on your computer.

3. I can bet that it is possible, i tryed google'ing it for you, but i couldn't find any information.

DJ wrote:x y z radius friction spring damping

They are the 7 numbers you need in each line, except the first, which should only be 1 number, which represents how many lines follow it.

Example

0 0 0 4 1.0 500 500

This will give a sphere of radius 4 ft, around the pivot point of the object, with friction 1.0, spring and damping of 500.

We need an application where we can place and scale spheres, and the program outputs the shape file.

Check: http://mxsimulator.com/benchracing3/vie ... f=2&t=3408
Judan

Post by Judan »

Goardy wrote:using a model for the terrain will not work, the collisions use spheres, so its impossible to get a smooth ride.
Sorry for angry ness was and am still sick i guess you ahd no way of telling whether i knew that or not but thanks anyway :)
LuizH

Post by LuizH »

to import your terrain to 3d max you gotta create a plane with a decent amout of faces i dont know how many this game uses but try to get close. then open displace modifier and load your terrain.png, after that just adjust the height and voila. Can't explain better then that. Try searching for displacement modifier at google.
Though the only advantage of this is to preview your terrain or make renders, you cant modify it on max.(you can but it's to boring to explain and it's not the best option)
FORMER SUPERCROSS LEGEND