Track Editing For Dumbies

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
knapp21
Team: Privateer

Track Editing For Dumbies

Post by knapp21 »

I've been playing Mx Simulator for a year or 2 now and I honestly think that more people should be creating more quality skins and tracks. I know it's not easy work, but sometimes I think that the tutorials aren't as in-depth as they could be. As much as I would love to contribute to the community I can't seem to learn anything about track editing or skinning. I've looked at Dj's tutorial on using l3dt, but I don't see how you can use that program to produce replicas. I've tried using the ingame editor and I cannot seem to produce anything worth while. And making a displacement map on Photoshop? I am just friggen clueless. This is basically an offer. I would pay anyone on here up to 75-100$ (through paypal) if they could take the time to make DETAILED step by step directions on creating replica tracks to share with the community. PM me if you are interested. i'm serious!
magnusson
Team: Wannabe

Re: Track Editing For Dumbies

Post by magnusson »

i have been here for sins January 2010 and i know how to skin a bike, gear and a helmet and i know how to make a track and 2 days ago i downloaded bender and started making a helmet ALL help from the forums you just need to play white the track editor and Photoshop :wink:
vurbmoto wrote: - Kevin Windham is still a BOSS
My Release's on PureMXS
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

Creating a really good replica track is extremely hard.

Don't try doing replicas for your first tracks.

Just throw some jumps and turns together and see how it goes.

I've always thought it'd be interesting to start a thread that documents someone making a track from start to finish. One of 2 ways:

1) A new person who asks questions along the way, and the community can help them when they are stuck
2) Someone who knows what they are doing showing you how they do it every step of the way

Really a tutorial is not that useful. Track creation is not a linear process. If you follow someone else's tutorial, you will make the same track they did. What's the point of that?? You want a different track, with different turns, jumps, hills, ruts, bumps, etc. And that's just talking about the disp map. There is no single set in stone way to do it.

You just have to suffer thru the first time of doing it - there is a lot of learning curve involved.
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Trying to make a replica track is the most frustrating experience ever. Thats why I gave up on them and designed my own tracks.
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

I was just reminded that having an editor that is buggy and very hard to work with dosen't help...
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.
dearnhardtfan7

Post by dearnhardtfan7 »

Garasaki wrote:Creating a really good replica track is extremely hard.

Don't try doing replicas for your first tracks.

Just throw some jumps and turns together and see how it goes.

I've always thought it'd be interesting to start a thread that documents someone making a track from start to finish. One of 2 ways:

1) A new person who asks questions along the way, and the community can help them when they are stuck
2) Someone who knows what they are doing showing you how they do it every step of the way

Really a tutorial is not that useful. Track creation is not a linear process. If you follow someone else's tutorial, you will make the same track they did. What's the point of that?? You want a different track, with different turns, jumps, hills, ruts, bumps, etc. And that's just talking about the disp map. There is no single set in stone way to do it.

You just have to suffer thru the first time of doing it - there is a lot of learning curve involved.

I keep telling myself I'm gonna do this but haven't gotten around d to it. I even want to go as far as doing a video with voice-over explaining exactly what is going on. This would be using the in-game editor because that is the only thing I use to make my tracks.
R.I.P. Jacob Nash #241
PSN-chrismri463
xfire--cmarona463
dearnhardtfan7

Post by dearnhardtfan7 »

Garasaki wrote:I was just reminded that having an editor that is buggy and very hard to work with dosen't help...

I find the editor very easy to work with personally. I feel I can do anything in the editor that you can do in Photoshop. I really think it is just a personal preference. If you already know a lot about Photoshop then I'm sure that helps, but if you are fairly new to the game, you don't want to have to learn it and an image editing software at the same time.
R.I.P. Jacob Nash #241
PSN-chrismri463
xfire--cmarona463
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

Serious tracks shouldn't be made in the editor firstly. Secondly, as important as knowing which tools in ps do what, being able to come up with your own techniques, and really thinking about how you want to manipulate the track, is super important as well. I honestly don't think that people of average intelligence can create good tracks, i really don't. It really takes an intellectual thinker to make spectacular tracks. (in general, not referring to you in any way knapp)
Axle McOctane

Post by Axle McOctane »

When it comes to molding little tracks in the dirt or sand by hand, for those little toy dirtbikes, I am on that elite level as well. And only really intelligent people can do it. That's probably what everyone staring at me is thinking... geez, I'll bet that 22 yr old playing in the sand is really intelligent.
dearnhardtfan7

Post by dearnhardtfan7 »

ddmx wrote:Serious tracks shouldn't be made in the editor firstly. Secondly, as important as knowing which tools in ps do what, being able to come up with your own techniques, and really thinking about how you want to manipulate the track, is super important as well. I honestly don't think that people of average intelligence can create good tracks, i really don't. It really takes an intellectual thinker to make spectacular tracks. (in general, not referring to you in any way knapp)

I respectfully disagree on the first point, but whole-heartedly agree on the rest of your post. It definitely takes someone with a strong mind to make "spectacular" tracks, but I think that if you can learn to make great tracks in ps, you can also learn to make them in the editor. There really is alot you can do with the editor, if you understand what each function does and use each one in the proper manner, as well as experiment with combining the different functions. There are definitely pros and cons to ps and the editor, and I truly truly think it is just a matter of preference. If you have the skill and the will to create a special track in the editor, you can definitely do it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with making tracks either way. It just comes down to the individual creating the track. I do however get a little agitated when people say the editor is crap. If the editor is used properly you can do anything you want with it. I don't have much experience with photoshop, but I have been using the editor for 2 or 3 years now and I have developed many little tips and tricks and techniques, and I am still discovering things. I seriously hope JLV doesn't ever decide to scrap the editor. It would be a major step backwards for me personally.
R.I.P. Jacob Nash #241
PSN-chrismri463
xfire--cmarona463
knapp21

Post by knapp21 »

ddmx wrote:Serious tracks shouldn't be made in the editor firstly. Secondly, as important as knowing which tools in ps do what, being able to come up with your own techniques, and really thinking about how you want to manipulate the track, is super important as well. I honestly don't think that people of average intelligence can create good tracks, i really don't. It really takes an intellectual thinker to make spectacular tracks. (in general, not referring to you in any way knapp)
I can understand where you are coming from. I just thought that maybe if I made an offer then maybe somebody could make a tutorial and share there secrets. I know its tough work to make tutorials so I thought a little bit of cash might make them actually want to do an in-depth one. I can make a so so track in the editor but I really have no interest in imagining up a random track. I've been going to the High Point and Steel City nationals since I can remember, and I really know those tracks well. I just wish there was a way I could figure out how to replicate the terrain. I can put the jumps and berms in, and I'm sure I could figure out the objects, I just wish there was an easier way to make replicas. Maybe I'll just hope for an improved editor someday.
Voutare

Post by Voutare »

On the topic of replicas, I honestly think they are easier. It makes me have to worry about creativity less, and facts more.

And I make my tracks half and half. I make the basic outline and jump structures with the editor, and the finer details (ruts, bumps, landscape) is done in photoshop.
Rallemx

Post by Rallemx »

Intelligence doesnt really have anything to do with track making, some people are just good learners..Same goes for racing, both mxs and real life..Where we have some great examples of talented people, way below average intelligence :lol:
magnusson
Team: Wannabe

Post by magnusson »

i'm starting on a new track(not the best at it) and i was thinking of making a topic about it and posting what i have done that day and asking questions and answering questions like Garasaki said

Garasaki wrote:Creating a really good replica track is extremely hard.

hope u don't think i'm stealing your idea :oops: i just think its a good idea and of course do it also for skinning and modeling
vurbmoto wrote: - Kevin Windham is still a BOSS
My Release's on PureMXS
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

robbimagg wrote:hope u don't think i'm stealing your idea :oops: i just think its a good idea and of course do it also for skinning and modeling
Nah I posted it hoping Knapp would do it actually :lol: Go for it, that's what I say!