blender Object texture mapping Help

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
AtlasZoor
Team: Atlas Trackworks

blender Object texture mapping Help

Post by AtlasZoor »

So I have created a pedestrian stand thingy and and I am running into a bit of trouble. I will try to provide as much info as I can that i think will be useful.
So for the textures I just used a material with a wood png and mapped it to the different wood pieces. most of them are exact copies of eachother. Like each corner of the legs are the same, the inner legs etc. Also for the deck/floor I used an array modifier to expand them across so they are the same. So what I was thinking is that I would break this stand up into 2 parts I would make the floor one part then I would make the frame another.
So now I get to my question. Since these are all separate objects. How would I put all the Uv's into one texture to put ingame. do they all have to be apart of the same object? I have also seen that some image files have -repeat after them and wanted to know how those work also.

I hope some of you can help Thanks!
AtlasZoor

Re: blender Object texture mapping Help

Post by AtlasZoor »

I can also send anyone the blend file if you want it.
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

I'm no modeller so take me with a grain of salt.

I would make it one single object. Having to put objects together that essentially "is 1" sucks. Having origins off center or off the objects etc. You could make 2 objects using the same UV map, just make sure the 2 objects reads from the correct position of the image.

The -repeat is for custom mipmaps, it csn look better further away sometimes if you make them manuallt. Not sure if a .info files is needed or not if you use custom mipmaps, as I've never understood what they do (.info).
Jeremy150
Team: MV Films

Post by Jeremy150 »

So I unwrap everything first and move them off the UV, then I merge all the objects together and move them onto the same uv image. Pretty easy
ColtonD719
Team: Privateer

Post by ColtonD719 »

Just looking at it, I'm not sure why you'd want to split the object into multiple statues. However, since the actual texture linked to any object is defined in the "statues" file, it is easy to have multiple objects reference the same texture. For example:

Code: Select all

[100 0 100] 0 @track/stand_frame.jm @track/stand_texture.png null
[100 0 100] 0 @track/stand_floor.jm @track/stand_texture.png null
"-repeat" is actually for tiling your texture. Mipmaps are a different subject and can be used with or without -repeat textures. Here is decent explanation of "-repeat:"
Mona wrote:Basically, when -repeat is added to the textures name, it tells MXS to tile the texture past your regular [0,0] --> [1,1] uv space.

If you unwrap a model, say a square plane used for water, you can scale that single planes uv extremely large, so maybe it goes from [0,0] to [100,100]. Your texture will only show up from [0,0] to [1,1] regularly. When -repeat is added, the texture will tile infinitely, all the way to however far your uv goes past [1,1].

You can also use this tile property for vertical and horizontal tiling alone if you set up your texture and uv map correctly.

Regular texture names:
texture.png
texture_norm.png
texture_spec.png

Repeat texture names:
texture-repeat.png
texture_norm-repeat.png
texture_spec-repeat.png
http://forum.mxsimulator.com/viewtopic. ... at#p407228

Hope that helps! The stand is looking good.
AtlasZoor

Post by AtlasZoor »

Jeremy150 wrote:So I unwrap everything first and move them off the UV, then I merge all the objects together and move them onto the same uv image. Pretty easy
So when you say "move them off the uv" Im not sure what you mean. Like moving the Unwrap off the UV image editor tile thing? And also when you merge are you literally merging them together or doing like ctrl J to join them. Im not sure how to merge objects. and I assume once you merge them together it will become one big object and with one uv?
ColtonD719 wrote:Just looking at it, I'm not sure why you'd want to split the object into multiple statues. However, since the actual texture linked to any object is defined in the "statues" file, it is easy to have multiple objects reference the same texture. For example:
Are you saying that I don't have to have each Object have its own unwrapped spot on a texture? Like on my mt Whitney track I have bridge and that whole bridge is just one object. So all I had to do was unwrap it and I was done. But Since I have more than one object how will I get them onto the same UV. as I said above if I do merge it together will it be one uv? or do I not even need to do that.
Wahlamt wrote:I'm no modeller so take me with a grain of salt.

I would make it one single object. Having to put objects together that essentially "is 1" sucks. Having origins off center or off the objects etc. You could make 2 objects using the same UV map, just make sure the 2 objects reads from the correct position of the image.
yea I just thought since I have 2 different textures it would be easier to just split them apart.
Wahlamt wrote: The -repeat is for custom mipmaps, it csn look better further away sometimes if you make them manuallt. Not sure if a .info files is needed or not if you use custom mipmaps, as I've never understood what they do (.info).
Ok thanks!

I would like to thank you guys for your help. blender has been hard to learn for me and I appreciate you taking the time to respond!
Jeremy150

Post by Jeremy150 »

AtlasZoor wrote:
Jeremy150 wrote:So I unwrap everything first and move them off the UV, then I merge all the objects together and move them onto the same uv image. Pretty easy
So when you say "move them off the uv" Im not sure what you mean. Like moving the Unwrap off the UV image editor tile thing? And also when you merge are you literally merging them together or doing like ctrl J to join them. Im not sure how to merge objects. and I assume once you merge them together it will become one big object and with one uv?
Correct.
The reason you move them off the uv is so when you join the objects the uvmaps dont stack ontop of each other. Then you just move them back on after merging.
AtlasZoor

Post by AtlasZoor »

Jeremy150 wrote: Correct.
The reason you move them off the uv is so when you join the objects the uvmaps dont stack ontop of each other. Then you just move them back on after merging.
Ok that makes sense. So do I use ctrl j do join them? or is there another way to merge them.
Jeremy150

Post by Jeremy150 »

AtlasZoor wrote:
Jeremy150 wrote: Correct.
Ok that makes sense. So do I use ctrl j do join them? or is there another way to merge them.
CTRL+J to merge them. You gotta do it in object mode.
AtlasZoor

Post by AtlasZoor »

Jeremy150 wrote: CTRL+J to merge them. You gotta do it in object mode.
Ok thank!
GregDearman
Team: TVCO

Post by GregDearman »

It’s a terrible video but I went over merging UV maps:

https://youtu.be/yH1WYC0rm7c
AtlasZoor

Post by AtlasZoor »

Jeremy150 wrote: CTRL+J to merge them. You gotta do it in object mode.
This might a stupid question but how do I fit all the uv's onto a texture but still preserve quality so they don't look crappy.
Because if I size down the uv's then it will get lower in quality because its only using X amount if pixels rather than the whole texture. Also Can I overlap uv's since alot of them are the same?
Jeremy150

Post by Jeremy150 »

If you aren't doing normal maps then feel free to overlap the UV. An object as simple as that you can get away with doing a 2048x2048 texture map and still have a decent amount of detail in it, just make sure to pack as much detail into the norm and spec as you can.

The other option is, you can just make them separate objects. If you go down that road its easier if you just place the object on your track in blender and then export that way.