Help with shadows

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
joey_2-fitty
Team: Privateer

Help with shadows

Post by joey_2-fitty »

I wasn't sure how to word the title, but I have been experimenting with mudbox and have successfully exported a displacement map and got it into the game, it has smooth curves and what not and seems to allow the bike to ride over it fine. I have made no attempt to sculpt an actual track I just made some hills as a high point, a big dip for a low point, and then made one single table top to see how it scales out. I also made several random "hills" at different strengths as a reference for when I'm ready to attempt actually sculpting. My issue is that not having any form of shadows, when i say that I mean when you go to the track editor view in game to place a tilemap so I have a track to follow, and see where I am going, but the editor view just appears solid with no evidence of any elevation change on it. What is the best route to have some form of shadowing so I can see things. Or what is the best route to laying a decal over in junction with my height map that will translate to the game. This is my first attempt at any mx simulator track making, sorry if these are trivial questions. thanks
joey_2-fitty

Re: Help with shadows

Post by joey_2-fitty »

here are some screenshots to clarify, obviously there is elevation change, but it does not appear that way in the editor
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

1. Editor mode
2. Zoom out max
3. Set "Sub mode" to lower only
4. Choose raise and set raduis to max
5. Paint 1 click over the entire map (you should see some shadows etc coming up)
6. Press lowet case 'u' and it should say "up to date", "updated" or "ok", I don't remember what is says.
7. Cycle the views (1st, 3rd, free roam and back to the editor.
8. Press 'u' again after cycled views.
Now everything should be good. Note that upper case 'U' won't work.
Wahlamt

Post by Wahlamt »

Oh, and before anything gets messed up, please have a backup of your folder!
joey_2-fitty

Post by joey_2-fitty »

Thankyou for the help, i learned about the raise tool on lower only trick shortly after making this post through some more searching, however I have encountered a second problem, for some reason every time I do that and save, it seems to want to change my terrain.hf to a slightly different max value, and always increases the minimum value by alot. The weird thing is it doesn't take affect until I close and reopen the game. I have not been using the update button, will this fix this issue?
joey_2-fitty

Post by joey_2-fitty »

Wahlamt wrote:Oh, and before anything gets messed up, please have a backup of your folder!
It only seems to happen after I change my heightmap and go back over it, on top of that thankyou for your youtube tutorials, your first few are what got me rolling as I am using your blank track files.
Wahlamt

Post by Wahlamt »

What is your terrain.hf before AND after you change/save it?

What you're doing is putting a heightmap in with no shading. The raise/lower thing should only update the shading (with the double 'u'), not the terrain.hf, unless you're actually raising or lowering something.