LiDAR?

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
Big Smooth one3
Team: TMFR [Aulmni]

LiDAR?

Post by Big Smooth one3 »

Been out of MXS for a while now, but have become familiar with something I thought would be interesting for this game - a large publicly available dataset which maps the earth at an extreme amount of precision (can map out subtle breaks on the green at a golf course), so I'm wondering....has anyone in this community heard of LiDAR? Has anyone attempted to use LiDAR data to build tracks? Or are the available filetypes for LiDAR scans not ones which are compatible for track building?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's a link to the USGS Inter-agency Elevation Inventory . LiDAR seems to be much more sparse outside of the states, but there's a ton of coverage within the US - think it's really all about if the data filetypes would be usable.
Aggressively Mediocre Image
landonljf
Team: Privateer

Re: LiDAR?

Post by landonljf »

It's been done before. Here's a Niklas Sandbox track http://forum.mxsimulator.com/viewtopic.php?t=44533. They built the track in a sandbox and 3d scanned it.
LKR47
Team: LCQ Studios

Re: LiDAR?

Post by LKR47 »

landonljf wrote:It's been done before. Here's a Niklas Sandbox track http://forum.mxsimulator.com/viewtopic.php?t=44533. They built the track in a sandbox and 3d scanned it.
That isn't liDAR, that's just photogrammetry.

It is possible to do, but it seems very tedious. We are trying to use a couple of LiDAR tracks in our game, but Damien is having to stitch together parts of the heightmap that is retrieved. I haven't had the opportunity to use the software yet nor am I sure exactly how the link you posted works as our data comes from elsewhere, but assuming you can get a heightmap somehow then it will work like any other track you'd make for sim with a few adjustments of course.