TileMap Bug

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
User avatar
AtlasZoor
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:51 am
Team: Atlas Trackworks
Location: Zimbabwe

TileMap Bug

Postby AtlasZoor » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:41 pm

When opening my track all of my tile maps randomly just turned into this weird gradient color. Even though the actual tile is one solid color.

Image
Image

most of the tiles have been changed into the weird gradients. Even though when opened in photoshop they remain one solid color. Not sure what is going on here. it remains like this even when restarting the game and re saving the track. Has anyone ever had this problem?
Image

User avatar
Jakob Hubbard
Posts: 851
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:16 am
Team: VlastMX.com
Location: Cold

Re: TileMap Bug

Postby Jakob Hubbard » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:46 pm

wat. I've never seen this issue occur before. I've had some weird shapes form on the map but never have I seen a gradient tilemap in the editor show up unwillingly. You think it could be something wrong with your tileinfo file and reading the image file incorrectly?
Image

User avatar
AtlasZoor
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:51 am
Team: Atlas Trackworks
Location: Zimbabwe

Re: TileMap Bug

Postby AtlasZoor » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:50 pm

Jakob Hubbard wrote:wat. I've never seen this issue occur before. I've had some weird shapes form on the map but never have I seen a gradient tilemap in the editor show up unwillingly. You think it could be something wrong with your tileinfo file and reading the image file incorrectly?


honestly have no idea what is going on. The tiles are the ones used for the 19 nationals so I assume they would be read fine. Its kinda giving me eye disease looking at this all the time though.
Image

jlv
Site Admin
Posts: 13667
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:39 am
Team: No Frills Racing
Contact:

Re: TileMap Bug

Postby jlv » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:15 am

If you use the same texture for a decal or object does it get the same bug on the decal/object?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.

User avatar
AtlasZoor
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:51 am
Team: Atlas Trackworks
Location: Zimbabwe

Re: TileMap Bug

Postby AtlasZoor » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:34 am

jlv wrote:If you use the same texture for a decal or object does it get the same bug on the decal/object?


Yup, just the sand.ppm into a decal that is shown in the Photoshop image above. As you can see the ppm is a solid color.

result is a gradient again.
Image
Image

User avatar
Jakob Hubbard
Posts: 851
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:16 am
Team: VlastMX.com
Location: Cold

Re: TileMap Bug

Postby Jakob Hubbard » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:44 am

AtlasZoor wrote:honestly have no idea what is going on. The tiles are the ones used for the 19 nationals so I assume they would be read fine. Its kinda giving me eye disease looking at this all the time though.

Would you mind sending me the files over discord so I can take a look?
Image

jlv
Site Admin
Posts: 13667
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:39 am
Team: No Frills Racing
Contact:

Re: TileMap Bug

Postby jlv » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:02 am

If you could post the file I'd like a look as well.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.

User avatar
AtlasZoor
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:51 am
Team: Atlas Trackworks
Location: Zimbabwe

Re: TileMap Bug

Postby AtlasZoor » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:04 am

jlv wrote:If you could post the file I'd like a look as well.


heres the files that im using its the roost, tilemap, and tileinfo. If you want more files just let me know.
Image

User avatar
AtlasZoor
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:51 am
Team: Atlas Trackworks
Location: Zimbabwe

Re: TileMap Bug

Postby AtlasZoor » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:06 am

Image

jlv
Site Admin
Posts: 13667
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:39 am
Team: No Frills Racing
Contact:

Re: TileMap Bug

Postby jlv » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:14 am

Try scaling it up to 16x16. There's some stuff in the mipmap generation and software texturing that might be confused by a 2x2 file.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.

jlv
Site Admin
Posts: 13667
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:39 am
Team: No Frills Racing
Contact:

Re: TileMap Bug

Postby jlv » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:21 am

I'm not having any luck reproducing it but definitely try scaling up. 16x16 is only 768 bytes so it's no big deal memory wise.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.

User avatar
Jeremy150
Posts: 2067
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:56 am
Team: MV Films

Re: TileMap Bug

Postby Jeremy150 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:22 am

We also get that error with our tilemaps. However it only seems to only happen like 10% of the time. Normally it looks fine, if it doesn't, we just restart the game to fix it.
Image

User avatar
AtlasZoor
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:51 am
Team: Atlas Trackworks
Location: Zimbabwe

Re: TileMap Bug

Postby AtlasZoor » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:25 am

jlv wrote:Try scaling it up to 16x16. There's some stuff in the mipmap generation and software texturing that might be confused by a 2x2 file.


yup I just scaled them up and the problem stopped. its still super interesting because It just changed out of no where. I wonder if its a hardware specific problem.

But thank you!
Image

User avatar
AtlasZoor
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:51 am
Team: Atlas Trackworks
Location: Zimbabwe

Re: TileMap Bug

Postby AtlasZoor » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:25 am

Jeremy150 wrote:We also get that error with our tilemaps. However it only seems to only happen like 10% of the time. Normally it looks fine, if it doesn't, we just restart the game to fix it.


Yeah that's interesting. Ive restarted my game multiple times but it didn't seem to fix the problem.
Image


Return to “Track Editing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hbirchy and 2 guests