Making Berms

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
DougBauer19
Team: Goon Wagon

Making Berms

Post by DougBauer19 »

So i am working on an SX track and i want to get the best berms i can make with my low level track editing skills, and i have tried to make a berm using all the tips and tricks i can find about making them. Every time i re-do the design in gradient edit no matter what after i add the berm it is super rough and spiky on the top of the berm. How do i fix this?
supercrosspig

Re: Making Berms

Post by supercrosspig »

You want your berm gradient to look similar to this. The white dot in the pic should be probably between .65 slope and .85 slope depending on how much you want the berm to hold you.

Apply it with radial add on 0 focus in a similar way to this pic, again this kinda depends how you want it to feel. Just make sure the middle of your radial add circle is on the outside of the top of the berm.

I'm not totally sure what you mean by spiky at the top but it kinda sounds like maybe the terrain just hasn't rendered yet and you can just hit "u" in the editor and it will update the terrain.
Jakob Hubbard
Team: Phil's

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

DougBauer19 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:03 pm So i am working on an SX track and i want to get the best berms i can make with my low level track editing skills, and i have tried to make a berm using all the tips and tricks i can find about making them. Every time i re-do the design in gradient edit no matter what after i add the berm it is super rough and spiky on the top of the berm. How do i fix this?
This could be a rendering issue, to fix it go back to the editor and go back into game and it should re-render properly.

If you mean the berm is chattery it could mean that your map size is too big for your terrain.png dimensions. If that's the case I'd recommend checking to make sure you're at 2049x2049 at the very least. The game is pretty stable even with 4097x4097 maps.
DougBauer19

Post by DougBauer19 »

I tried updating in the editor, as well as bringing my resolution up and its still junk.
https://imgur.com/VGv8Agk
BDawg
Team: Underground RC

Post by BDawg »

Its just pixelated because your terrain size is too big. if you haven't done too much you probably are gonna want to just restart on a new terrain. Open terrain.hf make sure the first number is a 10, for 2k terrain. the 2nd number doesnt need to be bigger than like .35 if its just a sx track. youll also have to open shading.ppm and shadingx2.ppm and change the 1025s to 2049. and make your terrain.png 2049x2049. Or you can just take another tracks folder and delete everything you dont need, but the map size in the blank track setup folder is too big
DougBauer19

Post by DougBauer19 »

BDawg wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:14 pm Its just pixelated because your terrain size is too big. if you haven't done too much you probably are gonna want to just restart on a new terrain. Open terrain.hf make sure the first number is a 10, for 2k terrain. the 2nd number doesnt need to be bigger than like .35 if its just a sx track. youll also have to open shading.ppm and shadingx2.ppm and change the 1025s to 2049. and make your terrain.png 2049x2049. Or you can just take another tracks folder and delete everything you dont need, but the map size in the blank track setup folder is too big
This did the trick, i have to restart but I only had 1 section anyways so not too upset. Berm looks and feels exactly how i pictured making them so thanks for all the help.