Hangtown 2011

Post your tracks here
Forum rules
If your topic doesn't contain a track link, this is the wrong place to post it.
articwolf01
Team: Achievement Hunter

Re: Hangtown 2011

Post by articwolf01 »

YEA!!!! My home track!!! This is hella legit! Thanks for the awesome track!!!
3rd Overall EMF Junior Cup 2011
2nd Overall A-B class Maniacs Spur Series 2012
warrior462

Post by warrior462 »

Great work Haggqvist, your best track yet as far as I'm concerned, thanks for all the hard work. There are two little rideability issues I'd like to point out. The ruts are great and plentiful, but in some spots they are just too close together. There are some ruts on the disp which seem to serve no purpose other than knocking you over with the back side if you're just a hair too far inside of the next rut. In spots, they are so close together, you couldn't even use one to pass someone in the next without making contact, this is way too close and only detracts from the feel of the track. Another thing is I seem to keep finding sharp side edges to braking bumps, which you really can't see, but you hit them just right and all of a sudden without making a mistake, you're flipping out of control, which is frustrating. Excellent job on the track, keep 'em comin, and I hope you'll just give a quick thought to my suggestions to make your tracks just that much nicer.
DJD

Post by DJD »

Yeah, I agree with everything warrior said. Many ruts on this track are completely useless. They don't offer a viable alternate racing line and if you are off by just a little you crash. Not to mention most are choppy and sketch.

Do you make ruts with the raise tool? They seem really choppy and more for show than giving more racing lines. Playing Mxs is frustrating enough without square edge bumps that you cant even see.

The braking bumps and traction are awesome, but many of the ruts could be a lot better. You really need to tailor ruts for the game, not for realism.

I like to think I'm pretty good at this game, but after riding this track, there were so many moments exiting corners when the front wheel just deflected off those little bumps that i cant see and I crash.

Not even trying to ride aggressive or anything. Trying to tiptoe through little ruts is not my idea of fun and will not be conducive to fun/competitive racing.

Just my one cent,
Flo#114
Team: FCrew/Twöla

Post by Flo#114 »

So sick! Thank!!

Ps : News of Bulgarie?
haggqvist

Post by haggqvist »

Cheers!

@DJD
I was about half-way through writing a long explanatory reply when I realized I can't really be arsed, let's just say that I disagree with most of it.
However, one of your complaints about the ruts is answered in my reply to warrior below.

@warrior
About the ruts; the base of the ruts, i.e. the placement, was made by riding loads of laps with erode. So they weren't placed the way they are by design but from actual riding.
I know that the ruts aren't perfect but I'm really happy with how they turned out.

About the braking bumps; I'd say that there aren't any sharp edges on the braking bumps at all, at least by my definition.
The final version of the disp was smoothed out quite thoroughly to remove any sharp edges and traces of the erode ruts to improve rideability and increase the feeling of soft, sandy dirt.
However, the shadingx2 generated by the pre-smoothing disp was kept to keep the visual effect of roughness i.e. the sharp edges and erode ruts are still visible but not actually there in the disp.
DJ99X wrote:As someone mentioned, there's white lines in the skybox edges at lower resolution.
I can't believe the track uses over 1 Gb of texture memory at max settings
Thank you for pointing out that the skybox problem is linked to using a lower resolution. My skyboxes have been plagued by this problem since day one but I've been unable to recreate the problem myself until now.
The problem had been solved before this release though and I simply forgot to copy the new images into the track folders.

As for the texture memory usage, that's a direct result of this problem and the texture memory usage would probably be cut in half if that got solved.
In this case I had to use 34 identical normal/specular maps with different file names for the banners instead of just one.
DJD

Post by DJD »

haggqvist wrote: i.e. the placement, was made by riding loads of laps with erode.
haggqvist wrote:I was about half-way through writing a long explanatory reply when I realized I can't really be arsed
Whatever guy. Ill just except that as the difference between you and me. I build tracks for fun, you build tracks to be exact.

With 40 people riding the track it will just turn into a survival race with goons flopping over everywhere. (myself included) :lol:
Yamahaman95
Team: Jesus

Post by Yamahaman95 »

DJD wrote:
haggqvist wrote: i.e. the placement, was made by riding loads of laps with erode.
haggqvist wrote:I was about half-way through writing a long explanatory reply when I realized I can't really be arsed
Whatever guy. Ill just except that as the difference between you and me. I build tracks for fun, you build tracks to be exact.

With 40 people riding the track it will just turn into a survival race with goons flopping over everywhere. (myself included) :lol:
Same
Tiller Crocker wrote:Look at those handlebar guards
Robert196

Post by Robert196 »

DJD wrote:

| 2013 MotoOption Supercross 250 Eastside Champion | #turnbarcrew |
Jones221
Team: Trump

Post by Jones221 »

DJD wrote:

DJD, you say this everytime.

The tracks fine. Is seperates the squidlys from the "pros".. It isn't even that rough. Ruts are fine. Man up.
only one to win something real from the game!
DJD

Post by DJD »

Jones221 wrote:DJD, you say this everytime.

The tracks fine. Is seperates the squidlys from the "pros".. It isn't even that rough. Ruts are fine. Man up.
I never said it was rough. My complaint was with the ruts. They don't add many alternate lines to the track, there's one main line that everyone will use.

The other ruts are too narrow and jagged to be of any use. Some of the ruts are only good for causing your front wheel to wash. Ill ride this track for the race and likely never touch it again.

Ill still enjoy beating you by 30 seconds...but the track itself is not that fun.

But...I wont try to "help" haggs anymore.
DJD wrote: I'll just except that as the difference between you and me. I build tracks for fun, you build tracks to be exact.
Mbutler183
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Creme Egg

Post by Mbutler183 »

DJD wrote:Ill still enjoy beating you by 30 seconds...but the track itself is not that fun.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Well, this version isn't getting used for the race. So he can still touch up the race version if people have an issue with it
barrington314
Team: me

Post by barrington314 »

track is badass. but i agree with djd. either way, i like it and itll be dope racing it. good job.
checkerz
Team: RaGe Factory

Post by checkerz »

Hmm. I have to say I 100% agreed with DJD while betaing this track for quite awhile.

Then not sure if it was from running enough laps or finding out the technique to the ruts, but I found myself able to use them consistently now. I also, when struggling found there there is very flat smooth outsides in all the corners to be used if you don't want to use the ruts. Is it as fast? Maybe not, but consistent, yes... that does make multiple lines.

Would I like to see it a bit easier? Yes. Does it ruin the track or the racing? I don't think so, but it will definitely separate the riders.

As far as the roughness. This version is way smoother than the earlier betas, and I honestly think it could be rougher and be fine. I don't have any issues with the roughness at all, in fact I think it's a strong point of the track.

Good news is, all the tracks will be different and this is only 1 of 12 rounds.
Jones221
Team: Trump

Post by Jones221 »

DJD wrote: Ill still enjoy beating you by 30 seconds...but the track itself is not that fun.
Haha, forsure Bro!
only one to win something real from the game!