Rough Times

Post your tracks here
Forum rules
If your topic doesn't contain a track link, this is the wrong place to post it.
Shadow
Team: FSK

Rough Times

Post by Shadow »

Well, here's my first track for mxs.
A fairly simple yet fun little national. Has more that feel of a small local track instead of full blown circuit one.

Thanks to all beta testers for feedback and ideas.

For some reason I can't confirm my registration to puremxs.com so I've uploaded it through mediafire.
http://www.mediafire.com/?jzytlmiwhrm
Those who possess strength have also known adversity.
DJ99X

Re: Rough Times

Post by DJ99X »

First lap did not really good first impression wise. But after a few laps, it was a fun track. The (large) ruts were well made, and the track has a nice flow to it. Here's some things that I disliked:

- The little bumps were too defined, just made the bike vibrate. They seemed pointless
- The little ruts made the rear tyre skip around a bit, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing, just a bit annoying sometimes. They also made you slip off some jumps
- Some of the jump faces were shocking. They were like hitting walls. And two of those jumps had a weird double lip thing, that was annoying.

Overall, good first track :P Just next time, I don't think it needs to be so high definition. That come sometimes make a track worse instead of better. Makes the track look too smooth unless done right, which you did in some instances.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Looking back at the demo's, man, the bike is moving around like it should in real life. Looks great. Good work mate
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Those tiny bumps were formed while I put countless laps with the erode feature. I tried to use a smooth constant throttle but they formed nevertheless, I guess it has something to with shifting weight/suspension changing/moving that makes the tire eat the track a bit more on some parts. I could've smoothed them out but decided against, since it became like that sort of 'naturally through riding'.

Hehe, the local track I go to in real life is sort of an abandoned one and has almost exactly as bad jump lips as the ones in this track, especially those double lipped jumps. I was trying to make jumping a bit more tricky/technical than your usual smooth jump faces and thought to try how the bike would handle double lips.
I recommend using soft suspension settings. It'll lessen the bike vibrating and skipping considerably.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the high definition and the track looking too smooth. This whole thing was a bit of an experiment I wanted to try after the conversation in the game suggestions thread about tracks being smooth as butter and the bike not handling bumps well. That's why I needed to use such a high definition so I could be able to make tire sized ruts and real life sized bumps and at the same time, make a decent length track. Using just 1025x1025 dispmap wouldn't have been enough.

Thanks for the honest criticism and compliment btw. Saying the bike moves like it should in real life is probably the best compliment one could give about this track :D
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

No probs :wink:

The erode works by lowering the ground where the roost leaves, and making it higher where the particle lands. So by playing with the roost settings, you could probably get a better result. Also, theres a setting in the roost options for how much the roost particle takes away (but you can pretty much do that with the erode number in the command line)
brasher454
Team: Privateer

Post by brasher454 »

yer top track mate, its real fun and the ruts are sick, good job!
Alec250f

Post by Alec250f »

I lag really bad on this track, I keep getting a "non power of 2 texture" error or something around those lines.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Lagging is caused most likely because the track's res is 2049x2049 so it uses double(quadruple? I'm not too sure) the resources than most tracks. Don't know how demanding the objects' quantity is.

No idea what causes that non power of 2 texture error. Somebody smarter than me needs to tell, 'cause I've been wondering at the same thing with a number of tracks.
ShowtimeMx

Post by ShowtimeMx »

Shadow wrote:Lagging is caused most likely because the track's res is 2049x2049 so it uses double(quadruple? I'm not too sure) the resources than most tracks. Don't know how demanding the objects' quantity is.

No idea what causes that non power of 2 texture error. Somebody smarter than me needs to tell, 'cause I've been wondering at the same thing with a number of tracks.
Its the same thing I had to teach FactoryBr when you have decals, they need to be power of 2, what this means is they need to be something like 512x512, 1024x1024, not 754x1058 or some odd number like that.
hope this helps let me know if you have anyother questions and i will try and help
"this community has more little kids than michael jacksons neverland ranch on easter" -ddmx
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

ah, allright. Never noticed that in faq or tutorials. Thanks mate.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Strange... Just checked all my decals and they're 1024x1024. What's causing that error is "plane.png" which is a billboard. I'm guessing it's one of those trees.
Alec250f

Post by Alec250f »

Alright, i'll try deleting all of the billboards :(
thanks Shadow
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Yeah, that was something factorybr did wrong. Theres a billboard in that has the line @@plane.png