Niklas Sandbox MX 2.0 - 3D scanning on next level

Post your tracks here
Forum rules
If your topic doesn't contain a track link, this is the wrong place to post it.
yFMX
Team: Privateer

Re: Niklas Sandbox MX 2.0 - 3D scanning on next level

Post by yFMX »

Goran267 wrote:523mb :shock: Couldn't you have done a zip file?
I zipped the saf just to see and it's still 494 Mo. My guess is that most of the 523mb come from the textures which are probably already compressed when saving them in PS so there's not much you can do about it.
checkerz wrote:I bet a slight (very subtle) gausian blur on the terrain would make it even better. It wouldn't change how it rides, just get rid of some of the weirdness that sometimes happens on bumps/edges.
I agree with that. Maybe even only smooth some parts of the track (like the dozer tracks on the track) and use a normal map to keep/add details.
checkerz wrote:As far as performance, a rough offtrack really, really tasks a computer. Again, a blur to smooth it would really help out with performance.Focus the details on the track, not off.
The ground polygons count is around 100k on this track. On my Renton track it's around 37k at most so yeah there's a little room for optimization here.
Right now I don't think it's too demanding on the computer though. I have a smooth 125fps at ground textures 10/1024 but it sure uses the 4gb of vram and and I've seen the ram usage peak at 5.1gb.
That might become problematic with decals normal maps though.
checkerz wrote:The decals via photo are definitely next level, I'd only imagine what could be done to make them even better from someone who is talented with texturing.
There's only 4 big decals right now and there's no normal nor spec maps so I think you can get great results by combining these big decals with maps and "traditional" decals.

Anyway, this track is another step in the right direction in my opinion.
salamanda101
Crushed Dissenter

Post by salamanda101 »

this is so amazing!!!!! well worth the download.
Squidmob567
Team: BGFX

Post by Squidmob567 »

Someone please put this on a server :shock:
Blake_901

Post by Blake_901 »

Squidmob567 wrote:Someone please put this on a server :shock:
lmao if i were to join a server on this track my computer might just blow up in my face
Motofinne #375

Post by Motofinne #375 »

0,5gb is fine, those who complain can return to 2015 and get a modern internet connection!

Ontopic: The track and the methods of making it is really cool, i'm not a big fan of the environment though. I would like some more color! :D
al167

Post by al167 »

love the concept and idea!! the textures look incredible and you don't even have a norm or spec map :shock: :shock:

top job!!

best track in ages!! and visually the best by far!!
TheStrikerAce
Crushed Dissenter
Team: NextLevel Racing

Post by TheStrikerAce »

can somebody put this on dropbox looks sick tho
PM me for custom bikes, team bikes, custom tracks, replica tracks, or team compunds!!!
barrington314
Team: me

Post by barrington314 »

mecke96 wrote:That makes me wounder.

If its possible to just mount a camera on a quadcopter (drone) with FPV system and fly over a real track and take photos.
It wont be more accurate that in smallscale but in theory it would work.
This is something SMR and I talked about awhile ago. I think doing an entire track would be possible but obviously alot more work. There would be many more factors, like flight time. Trees and other structures to work around. But that also brings up another point, and that is using this method to model 3d trees. Or maybe even stadiums? It would still require alot of modeling work though to make it use-able in game. As for the tracks, I think the detail of every rut and bump isnt as important as just getting a more accurate base and overlay/layout.
I wouldnt be surprised if game studios start to use this type of technology.
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

So you upload photo's to a cloud and they render the project for you? Thats super neat.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

It would be impossible to do with the number of photos required to do a whole track on your own, you would definitely need a dedicated service/render farm to do it for you.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
barrington314
Team: me

Post by barrington314 »

yzmxer608 wrote:It would be impossible to do with the number of photos required to do a whole track on your own, you would definitely need a dedicated service/render farm to do it for you.
wouldnt do an entire track at once. The piece that they show in this video is a pretty decent chunk IMO.
MXfish
Team: Blume Racing

Post by MXfish »

A workaround I tried on my hometrack was to put a camera on a 3 meter stick, and let it automatically take a picture each second. This way it is possible to walk a lap on your track and scan it. The only disadvantage is, that the offtrack is not scanned. But it worked for me in some sections, but I prefer the sandbox technique, which allows me to scan the offtrack as well. And the amount of 200 photos is enough, in comparison to the amount of photos you will need for a reel 1:1 track.
onefoureight
Team: Not Splitfire

Post by onefoureight »

What if you put your GoPro in 4k, rode around the track slowly. Put the film on the computer and then screenshot every section 300 times.

Then add those screenshots into the 3D program.

Would that work?
2015 Australian Supercross 450 champion | rF Villain | Wolf Pack Racing Leader | CBL Gaming
dbaum25moto
Team: DBD

Post by dbaum25moto »

Motofinne #375 wrote:0,5gb is fine, those who complain can return to 2015 and get a modern internet connection!

Ontopic: The track and the methods of making it is really cool, i'm not a big fan of the environment though. I would like some more color! :D
Some people dont live where they can get more than 15 mbps Under $100 a month without data caps
Lynch
Team: Atlas Technologies

Post by Lynch »

dbaum25moto wrote:
Motofinne #375 wrote:0,5gb is fine, those who complain can return to 2015 and get a modern internet connection!

Some people dont live where they can get more than 15 mbps Under $100 a month without data caps
I live where the fastest speed available atm is 5down/1up, so yeah I complain whenever I have to download something but I do it for myself. GTA took 18 hours :lol: