Sweetwater MX

Post your tracks here
Forum rules
If your topic doesn't contain a track link, this is the wrong place to post it.
Mcguire103
Team: Privateer

Re: Sweetwater MX

Post by Mcguire103 »

traction is fine. people just to lazy to set bike up to flow with the track. i bet most the people complaining about the traction were using a sx setup to. dont change it. keep it your way 8) and keep it up. love it
Clfitty
Team: Madcape

Post by Clfitty »

Mcguire103 wrote:traction is fine. people just to lazy to set bike up to flow with the track. i bet most the people complaining about the traction were using a sx setup to. dont change it. keep it your way 8) and keep it up. love it
There's a thing called constructive criticism. "Don't change" is so dumb. No matter what, we all can improve on things. If the majority of people say the traction could be better, there's a good chance it could be better. Reading feedback and analyzing it and seeing what you can do on your next track to improve is the most important part of becoming a better track maker.
Cam Lee - #36 - 450 Pro
Mcguire103

Post by Mcguire103 »

so its a dumb track if the traction doesn't get sorted? this is one of the best tracks this game has ever seen imo and just because it doesn't suit your bike setup/riding doesn't mean its dumb. with the amount of time colton spent on this track, im pretty sure if the traction was that bad or 'dumb' or....whatever...it would have been changed first thing. you dont 'improve' on making traction lol thats not something you improve on. people just expect every track to be perfect. you expect to jump on and expect everything to just flow and work together. na. set your bike up. one of the best thngs about this game is you really gotta go testing sometimes. if you think 'theres a good chance it could be better' then i dont think you will never be happy with any track.
Mcguire103

Post by Mcguire103 »

will ever*
DangerJoe

Post by DangerJoe »

Reviews are often just one persons opinion and that's the case here so what I'm about to say are just things I'd do differently:

First of all, before I go into the cons, this track is really good! The environment is one of the best I've seen, the track textures are great and the skybox and lightning not adds to the realism.
The roughness is perfect and the ruts and berms are great too

However there were two main things I picked up on, firstly, the traction. It just felt a bit too slippy too me, felt like I could accelerate too quickly too which unfortunately I also felt ruined the flow a little because I'd see a big jump and then be coming towards it accelerating as hard as I can then next thing I've over jumped about about 70ft hahaha, BUT, don't take that too much of a negative because as you'll already know, that something very easy to change if you wish to take this criticism on board for your next track creation.

Secondly, it also felt a bit too wide for me. I don't know how to elaborate on that one more hahaha but yeah, just in real life, every track I've rode and pretty much every track I've seen hasn't been as wide as this and a thinner track would produce closer racing too, but yeah as I imagine you already know since you clearly know how to make tracks that's an easy change too.

Overall it is a really good track, one of the best I've seen in a while but everytime I ride it I can't help but notice the two things I've just mentioned :lol:
Hope to see more tracks from you in the future though!
jonracer594

Post by jonracer594 »

What Mcguire said is right(imo). I think the track is really really good and the traction is also good, it fits to the decals which are in some spots very light which is in rl usually also slippery so I think all of the people complaining just need to ride a little bit more ''realistic'' in a sense that you just cant go full throttle all around the track.

Just my 2 cents
DangerJoe

Post by DangerJoe »

Saying people need to ride more realistic is a pretty good counter argument to what I said about the traction tbh, however it does feel too slippy in some sports, for example, the bank right hand downhill sweeping turn, I just washed out and that wasn't to do with me going full throttle :D
Like I also said though, that's just my opinion
RyanBarden

Post by RyanBarden »

Bro the preview of the track was sooooo dope!! Can u plz pm me and tell me how you edited that video!
Clfitty

Post by Clfitty »

Mcguire103 wrote:so its a dumb track if the traction doesn't get sorted? this is one of the best tracks this game has ever seen imo and just because it doesn't suit your bike setup/riding doesn't mean its dumb. with the amount of time colton spent on this track, im pretty sure if the traction was that bad or 'dumb' or....whatever...it would have been changed first thing. you dont 'improve' on making traction lol thats not something you improve on. people just expect every track to be perfect. you expect to jump on and expect everything to just flow and work together. na. set your bike up. one of the best thngs about this game is you really gotta go testing sometimes. if you think 'theres a good chance it could be better' then i dont think you will never be happy with any track.
I never said the track was dumb. I said in my first post that the track is a lot of fun! I simply said that (imo) it could use better traction, bigger rutts, and rougher track. Those are some things that he could improve on. Not just traction. You're thinking I'm dissing his track when I'm not. It's a fun track, I just think there could have been some better things. Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but to say that he should ignore any criticism that could make the track better is dumb. Take the opinions of everyone, and when he's making his next track he can use that feedback. My setup works on every track I try, so I don't think it's my setup. I'm not hating on this track, it's FUN. I simply posted what he could consider changing for his next track.
Cam Lee - #36 - 450 Pro
ColtonD719

Post by ColtonD719 »

Thanks for the feedback everybody!
DangerJoe wrote:Secondly, it also felt a bit too wide for me. I don't know how to elaborate on that one more hahaha but yeah, just in real life, every track I've rode and pretty much every track I've seen hasn't been as wide as this and a thinner track would produce closer racing too, but yeah as I imagine you already know since you clearly know how to make tracks that's an easy change too.
I totally agree about the width. Next one will be scaled down slightly, and definitely shorter, ha.
RyanBarden wrote:Bro the preview of the track was sooooo dope!! Can u plz pm me and tell me how you edited that video!
That's MOTOZ293's work. I wish I knew!

Btw, for all you track creators, I released all the objects I made for this track with templates and .blend files over in the released objects thread, in case they might be helpful: http://forum.mxsimulator.com/viewtopic. ... 00#p752800
Tom cortvriendt

Post by Tom cortvriendt »

Well, after seeing you've putting on hours and hours of time into this track, i had to give you a review. Great to see you coming to the MXS community! Thanks for that. Always nice to see some track creators who have experience from the MVA days. It feels like a old MVA track for me. For me, it has a good flow and you really have to search for traction. Don't blame me for saying this, but the RF tracks just have way to much traction for me. But hey, that is my personal opinion.

For your next track I would suggest this.

- Create some more lines. I know, the track is wide and you can create them yourself, but in race situations it would be cool to have 2/3 lines per corner. Try some of the JGMX tracks, most of the turns have 2 to 4 ruts which are all even fast.
- Create more technical jumps/rythymsections. Maybe some split lanes or a triple that you can only huck on a 450 (or a 250 if you're really good). The only time i had this is at your finish jump where i can leap onto the table.
- Create some tighter turns. Most of your turns are really flowing and wide open. It's good and fun, but for example the turn after the finish has one of the most amazing ruts to rail in the whole game. The track is so flowy, it reminds me a little of Staydowns tracks.
- Get a better skybox. This one is nice, but it would be even more good if it had a feeling like in late fall with a lower sunshine.
- GIVE US A SAND TRACK BECAUSE I LOVE SANDTRACKS :D Would be amazing!

Thanks alot for putting all of your work. Can't wait for your next creations. You have a clean and unique style.
motoxjeff#7 wrote:JLV do you ever just sit back, and say " DAMN I made this game"? lol
ColtonD719

Post by ColtonD719 »

I appreciate the detailed review, Tom. And thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully you'll dig the next one; tighter corners and a couple jumps that are more challenging on smaller bikes. I'll also keep the sand track idea in mind...
- Get a better skybox. This one is nice, but it would be even more good if it had a feeling like in late fall with a lower sunshine.
Believe it or not, the fall theme was a last minute change. I originally had it set as a summer morning, but by the time I was finishing up fall had come around, and I have lots of memories of spending the Saturday after Thanksgiving at the real location the track is built on (sadly, the track itself doesn't exist in real life). I used a sun tracking app to determine the angle of the sun at 2pm on that day, used that for my lighting, and built the skybox to match (using a sky sphere from http://www.cgskies.com as a base). I considered setting it later in the day, but I felt that parts of the track started to get too shadowy.
ryxn

Post by ryxn »

Clfitty wrote:My setup works on every track I try, so I don't think it's my setup.
Well this is probably your problem then. You shouldn't be running the exact same setup for every track, obviously your going to have a base setup that you can tweak for every track but it shouldn't be the same. That would be like Roczen or any other pro rocking up at A1 and Millville with the same bike setup, he might get lucky and it work for him but I highly doubt it. Even if he was lucky enough to have it work, I'm sure he would do better if he had set his bike up specifically for sand rather than an sx track...
Fair Play.
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

This is clearly a track that a lot of effort has gone into, therefor I hope that I can give it some good feedback 8)

Just out of the pictures, anyone can tell it looks amazing. The whole feeling of the tracks, visually is spot on. It might not have the most extreme norms or the most 8k decals, but damn does it all go well together. Something I personally struggle a lot with. As other people have pointed out, it looks a bit like the older MCM2, MVA Unleashed and Untamed tracks, which I really miss. Pretty simple and clean surroundings, yet really good to look at. Top notch on visuals. My only little thing you could have improved is adding something... more. Between the hills and slopes (where there aren't any trees or so) it looks a bit empty. Clean, but empty. Also from time to time next to the track edge there could be something, or just tires a bit more often. That's all just to give it a few percent more feeling "alive". ;)

The traction I like. The way tracks are made today is as if they were asphalt roads on top of a motocross track, which is just strange to me. Mixing the high speed of the track with the *according to everyone, almost* slippery traction, I can see if people find it hard to ride. But if you just use the thing called throttle control and let of the thing called "WFO everywhere" a little bit, there aren't any problems. For my personal preference, keep the traction, it is good. It's just not 2016 mainstream, but it's still baller.

Coming to track design, it's wide and fast. Wide is usually a very common phenomena within this community, almost everyone seems to make very wide tracks when they begin making them. If it was a conscious choice or it just happened for you, I have no idea. I'd say that the track could be 1/2 as wide in a lot of places, it is really wide ;) The speed is also quite much, but that may just be how you wanted it, also since the tracks is as wide as it is, it works. However I did have to gear up my 250f considerably not to run at max rpm 5th gear at a lot of places :P Usually I run -1 0, so nothing too crazy.

Most things like jumps, turns and such you have a great touch one. Can see that you've spent time learning how to make good ruts, same goes with bumps. They're smooth and nice to ride, well placed and spaced too. The ruts however are a bit hard to see. You can see where they are meant to be, but you don't see them, still they're there. Is the best I can describe it. Not all ruts were like this, but some. It might just as well be a shading issue, as I've experienced this over and over myself. Must say that I admire your effort to learn all of this and put if this good together in your first track, clearly a role model effort. No complaining about everything being hard and stupid (at least on the forums) but actually asking questions, trying to understand and learn.

So to sum it up:
Yay:
-Traction
-Looks
-Shapes of things
-Everything overall

Nay:
-Width of the track

Looking forward to you making more tracks along the road. Hope you're here to stay! See you on the track 8)
Clfitty

Post by Clfitty »

ryxn wrote:
Clfitty wrote:My setup works on every track I try, so I don't think it's my setup.
Well this is probably your problem then. You shouldn't be running the exact same setup for every track, obviously your going to have a base setup that you can tweak for every track but it shouldn't be the same. That would be like Roczen or any other pro rocking up at A1 and Millville with the same bike setup, he might get lucky and it work for him but I highly doubt it. Even if he was lucky enough to have it work, I'm sure he would do better if he had set his bike up specifically for sand rather than an sx track...
I meant my outdoor setup works on all outdoor tracks. My supercross setup works on all supercross. I switch between the two for outdoor/indoor tracks.
Cam Lee - #36 - 450 Pro