2018 AMA Supercross Rd01 Anaheim 1

Post your tracks here
Forum rules
If your topic doesn't contain a track link, this is the wrong place to post it.
mxsisboss

Re: 2018 AMA Supercross Rd01 Anaheim 1

Post by mxsisboss »

Jay wrote:Thanks man

The traction is actually something I worked tirelessly on including watching countless videos and trying to best match rpm/gear and speed and is actually within reason quite accurate to the speeds reached around a supercross track on a 450. I think the feeling of riding on sand comes from riding years worth of tracks at a super unrealistic speed and scale to now be pulled up to a more accurate speeds just feels like a drag on everything.. however I will continue to work on this as it is a key part of the track development stage and In some cases I agree that I have yet to nail an accurate traction.

In reference I developed a tool years ago to assist in traction and to simplify conversions between common kmp/h, mp/h and MXS's FP/S
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1006400369
feel free to play with numbers on that to reach a realistic setting

The grip I tend to disagree to a point and I back this by 17 years of racing myself, attending several AMA supercross races over the last 4 years, along with watching every SX race on TV since 03 and I just don't think you could find a more constant problem for a supercross rider than the front wheel washout or anyone particularly on the West that isn't generally fighting for traction.

jump to 2:30
I always like to watch the races from both the TV and spectator pov as it gives you a greater understanding of what is happening relevant to the whole track.

Again I value the feedback given and will apply some points you have made when tweaking things in the future.. Thanks for taking the time to review the track and I hope this reply has given you an insight as to my thought process behind the decisions made on the points you raised
Oh wow thats a lot of effort youve put in man, and yeah i never really thought of it like that, the track rides great ive had lots of fun on it! Imo it seems they fight for traction when the track smoothes off from acceleration points? Had this in real life, and the dirt we have here in the UK looks kinda similar to that of most supercross tracks, obviously using a controller over a riding a real bike kinda distorts it haha, but yeah overall track is great, that spreadsheet is really cool, cheers for the great work.
cr500zd wrote:is there anyway that 500cc bikes will be put into the game?
jlv wrote:I'd say it will definitely happen at some point. Not any time soon though.
FlyinHigh

Post by FlyinHigh »

As someone who has walked on an sx track and ridden the amateur SX in the GA dome this past year, the scale does feel very realistic. There isnt really much room on the track to do anything but go 2 wide. Playing this on my 34" ultrawide really is the best visual experience on sim I've had as far as realism.
Team: LCQ Studios / rF

Post by 137 »

Unbelievable Jay!

Track, environment, visuals are all mind blowing and a HUGE step for this game! I agree with the 1:1 scale, you made it ride very well and is probably the best scale for this game. The only thing I didn't really like was the hard pack on the faces/peaks of the jumps, its really even across and make its look like a holeshot line on top of a jump, but that's only when you're riding and when you're just free roaming in the camera, the overlay looks spectacular! Other than that, this is a mind blowing track. Hopefully I can learn a few things from your open folder 8)

I appreciate all of your hard work!!
If you enjoy what I make, donate to the cause 8) It's very much appreciated!!
VMX_SKYmx99
Team: BOMR

Post by VMX_SKYmx99 »

I changed to shaders/copy and turned my texture resolution to 256. I still keep running out of virtual memory. I have never had an issue with this. I have a 4gb nvidia card and 32gb of ram. I feel like I should be able to run it?
DougBauer19
Team: Goon Wagon

Post by DougBauer19 »

Sucks that its suck a high res track my game shuts down when i try to play it...
Jay

Post by Jay »

Thanks Kyle, yeah I agree and we are switching to a new base decal photo for next round to fix that issue.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UmHZd ... hSW1ggUfwx

those are the current ones

Sky try these
MXS is the only program you have open
Lower your Nvidia or AMD gpu setting externally
If still an issue
drop the decals to a 1024 image- they are 2048 at the moment

this is what I run with a mid-high level PC

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release.170928-1534)
System Manufacturer: MSI
BIOS: V10.2
Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1241 v3 @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

GPU
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Display Memory: 24445 MB
Dedicated Memory: 8086 MB
Shared Memory: 16359 MB

HDD: ocz arc 100 480gb ssd

Monitor: Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K UHD Monitor
barrington314
Team: me

Post by barrington314 »

Jay, may I offer running all the textures (decals and objects) through a script I have to make a "medium" and "low" version?
kawasaki22db
Team: Privateer

Post by kawasaki22db »

So mad everytime I try and download it, it keeps failing. whyyyyy
I like dirt bikes and dirt bike accessories
dawsonsleeper

Post by dawsonsleeper »

took me about 3 min to download LOL
jlv wrote:WTF I love Trump now! Make America great again!
Jay

Post by Jay »

Yeah you can do that If you like Barrington... I was planning on getting med/low res done today however if you can that would be sick- thanks!
tw0_f0ur_
Team: None

Post by tw0_f0ur_ »

Jay wrote:Thanks Kyle, yeah I agree and we are switching to a new base decal photo for next round to fix that issue.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UmHZd ... hSW1ggUfwx

those are the current ones

Sky try these
MXS is the only program you have open
Lower your Nvidia or AMD gpu setting externally
If still an issue
drop the decals to a 1024 image- they are 2048 at the moment

this is what I run with a mid-high level PC
Jay, I tried even running these settings and no luck:

ColtonD719

Post by ColtonD719 »

Thanks for sharing, and leaving the folder open for us to take a look at what you did. It was a helluva time getting it to run, but once I found some settings that (mostly) worked, it was stunning. The only setting that didn't crash for me was using "Software" for the Terrain Rendering Method, so I'm missing out on the effect of the terrain norms/spec. Nevertheless, the overall impression and attention to detail is outstanding. I love the subtle dusty atmosphere, and the objects and stadium and the way it all fits together feels very authentic. I'm not a good sx rider, but I actually like the scaling. It looks right, and it rides better than I expected—definitely better than other 1:1 tracks I've tried. I agree that the traction settings feel kind of sandy, but I don't think it is too slick. The shapes of the jumps/berms/whoops feel really nice, though some of the rhythm sections don't feel as poppy as I would expect based on my experience IRL (that could be partly due to my ability in the game. I feel the same way about the 2017-18 rf/emf sx tracks).

That said, there's got to be a more computer and storage-friendly solution for the textures. The textures folder is over 900MB. Until I set my terrain rendering method to "Software," the game always crashed at the end of "loading decals...." Interestingly, once I switched to "Software," I could turn all my other settings back up to normal, and my FPS was comparable, if not a little better than, what I get on the rf/emf tracks. My hardware:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

It seems like you have a few source elements that you are duplicating/moving around in your image editor to create the overlay, which then becomes 64 unique decals the game has to load. I'm curious how much a half or quarter res version would help. Or, what if you went straight to decals with your source elements, then placed them in the editor as usual? Obviously not as flexible or comfortable as doing it in photoshop, but you'd have significantly fewer unique decals to load.
137 wrote:he only thing I didn't really like was the hard pack on the faces/peaks of the jumps, its really even across and make its look like a holeshot line on top of a jump
This was one of the only things that bothered me visually. I think using photos of sand jumps is a great idea, but many of your sand jumps are more sharply peaked than your actual disp map, plus they are sometimes not perfectly aligned, causing that holeshot line effect. Also, because the photos have baked-in shading and are rotated to follow the track, the lighting direction is not consistent. To avoid this inconsistency, the photos should be shot in flat, totally neutral lighting. That way, there is no strongly lit/shadowed side until you actually render it based on your dispmap and desired light sources.

Finally, the shading needs to be updated. This is what it looks like for me before forcing it to update:

Overall, really incredible work that raises the bar on what this game is capable of. It's definitely inspiring, and now I can't wait to get started on the environment on my next track. Thanks again!
Jay

Post by Jay »

Cheers Colton,
Round 2 will see a more rounded jump decal and a much higher quality of images. I will also be dropping the resolution of the outlying decals to help significantly with load times/issues.
I make no excuse acknowledging this track was aimed at higher end PC's whilst all but a few beta test riders are running flagship 10 series GPUs paired with very capable intel processors, However if there was to be a race on this track the option to downscale the decals to 512,1024 is very realistic and would see dramatic performance increases across the board with lower tier PCs with the prospect of 64 x512 decals as appose to the drastically higher number placed on competing efforts.

I will take on board what you've written and suggested when building Houston I particularly agree with the pop of jumps in the rhythms and will be working to improve this. Hopefully we can also achieve a better result traction wise however it will take a few rounds to figure out due to restrictions on max speeds, bike maneuverability on the smaller scale track and my own vision I am working towards.

Thanks again for the feedback!
clark139

Post by clark139 »

Hi when it's done downloading it says the file is damaged or unsafe. How do I fix that. Any help is appreciated
Jay

Post by Jay »

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1R4aJG ... xLf4neBUcU

Med/Low and ultra low res courtesy of Barrington

I havnt had a chance to test yet.