2023 RaceFactory Nationals Round 11 Ironman

Post your tracks here
Forum rules
If your topic doesn't contain a track link, this is the wrong place to post it.
ktm161
Team: Underground RC

Re: 2023 RaceFactory Nationals Round 5 Redbud

Post by ktm161 »

johndagan62 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:23 pm I feel like the tracks shouldnt be where erode is gonna make it smoother in some sections. I’m all for roughness but I feel like the size of the bumps on redbud it defeats the purpose of running erode
i agree that the big bumps get flatter so we have to work on either (one making a erode for them) or (two just keep the bumps small). the erode came in pretty good in the race except two spots id like to fix for next week
Jeremy150
Team: MV Films

Re: 2023 RaceFactory Nationals Round 6 Southwick

Post by Jeremy150 »

First post updated with Southwick
Jeremy150

Post by Jeremy150 »

Jakob Hubbard wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:23 am I don't ever remember the ski jump after having such a steep landing. ... A lot of jumps are scaled incorrectly whether they be too tall or too steep (not that it matters too much but just me nitpicking).
These are both valuable pieces of feedback as far as the track not feeling like a "replica".

We grab DEM data that is accurate within 1 meter, however, everything is typically toned a bit down and rolled off as to what it should be so several adjustments have to be made. From there some jumps are modified in length to make them feel more suitable for sim and our traction, as well as the steepness. Sometimes we peak things out a bit more than they should be just for the fun factor. Perry is very well known for doing that on most tracks, and the general consensus is that people prefer that. I know that the first turn is more of a loamy corner that doesn't get too rutted, but typically we just try to get some ruts in the corners to open them up a bit for better racing.

If there are any other sections of the track that feel completely wrong I'd love to hear it so we can make it better for 2024. As far as the roughness goes we tried to do some things a bit different on this track to slow it down a bit, and we now know that this method doesn't work. I think it was just too much of a jarring change and people didn't like adjusting to it.
ace418
Team: Alcoballics

Post by ace418 »

Jeremy150 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:28 am
Jakob Hubbard wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:23 am I don't ever remember the ski jump after having such a steep landing. ... A lot of jumps are scaled incorrectly whether they be too tall or too steep (not that it matters too much but just me nitpicking).
These are both valuable pieces of feedback as far as the track not feeling like a "replica".

We grab DEM data that is accurate within 1 meter, however, everything is typically toned a bit down and rolled off as to what it should be so several adjustments have to be made. From there some jumps are modified in length to make them feel more suitable for sim and our traction, as well as the steepness. Sometimes we peak things out a bit more than they should be just for the fun factor. Perry is very well known for doing that on most tracks, and the general consensus is that people prefer that. I know that the first turn is more of a loamy corner that doesn't get too rutted, but typically we just try to get some ruts in the corners to open them up a bit for better racing.

If there are any other sections of the track that feel completely wrong I'd love to hear it so we can make it better for 2024. As far as the roughness goes we tried to do some things a bit different on this track to slow it down a bit, and we now know that this method doesn't work. I think it was just too much of a jarring change and people didn't like adjusting to it.
I love the fact that you guys slowed down the track it makes it more fun and less of a sketch fest to ride, I just feel like for the sand on this round you guys went a little too sandy because I have been here and I know when you mess up you slow down but it doesn't take every bit of speed you have, like this round has. I feel like if you guys could have made it just a touch less sandy it would be spot on.
Jakob Hubbard
Team: Phil's

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

Jeremy150 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:28 am We grab DEM data that is accurate within 1 meter, however, everything is typically toned a bit down and rolled off as to what it should be so several adjustments have to be made. From there some jumps are modified in length to make them feel more suitable for sim and our traction, as well as the steepness. Sometimes we peak things out a bit more than they should be just for the fun factor. Perry is very well known for doing that on most tracks, and the general consensus is that people prefer that. I know that the first turn is more of a loamy corner that doesn't get too rutted, but typically we just try to get some ruts in the corners to open them up a bit for better racing.
Yeah it's definitely never easy to replicate a track based solely on footage and interpretation. I personally didn't think it was a bad track in terms of a sim track, it had some line balancing issues and the bumps in a couple sections weren't the best but other than that it wasn't a bad sim track. I was more disappointed in terms of its replication. One thing I'd like to see next year is more of a loamy millville type traction. There's a couple sections that have a little more clay in it like typically the first half of the track after dropping down the ski jump (although this year it looked a little more loamy). The jumps are pretty solid, but overall pretty loamy in terms of corners and straights. The dirt redbud uses is a clay loam mix. Some corners get massive gnarly ruts in them but they're soft and other corners almost form sand berms.

About the first corner thing I understand that you'd like to add some options, but I don't believe big ruts are the solution to it. When you have 40 riders diving into the first corner for a rut one of them is inevitably going to mess up and cause a huge pileup. Carter did it in 450 moto 2. He blew the inside rut and it caused him to go over every other one and kill at least 7 riders. It might be better to do some very subtle berm embankments that can lead the riders to other lines in the first corner.
Jeremy150

Re: 2023 RaceFactory Nationals Round 6 Southwick

Post by Jeremy150 »

Yeah I will agree that the first turn is always tough. It's a fine line you have to balance to make it good for racing, but if you make them too big it can create chaos in the first turn, but generally putting a few smaller than normal ruts in it has worked pretty well. Might have just went a touch to big for this round.
ktm161

Post by ktm161 »

Jakob Hubbard wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:32 am One thing I'd like to see next year is more of a loamy millville type traction.
Millville hard packed irl
Jakob Hubbard
Team: Phil's

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

ktm161 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:37 pm Millville hard packed irl
I was referencing the traction that's used on millville every year.
ace418

Post by ace418 »

ktm161 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:37 pm
Jakob Hubbard wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:32 am One thing I'd like to see next year is more of a loamy millville type traction.
Millville irl is anything but hard packed I had a regional there and I went there for the pro national and that track is very loamy, thats why everyone also runs a sand tire
ktm161

Post by ktm161 »

ace418 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:27 pm
ktm161 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:37 pm
Millville irl is anything but hard packed I had a regional there and I went there for the pro national and that track is very loamy, thats why everyone also runs a sand tire
we run paddles at almost every round. that doesnt mean its loamy
Jeremy150

Re: 2023 RaceFactory Nationals Round 7 Spring Creek

Post by Jeremy150 »

First post updated with Spring Creek
ace418

Re: 2023 RaceFactory Nationals Round 7 Spring Creek

Post by ace418 »

This track is far better then years past as far as roughness but there are a couple things you could work on for next year,

1. the start straight corner irl is much skinnier then it is in the game

2. the tables in the back before the step up are smaller, and that step up is much taller, it almost looks like a little hill, irl its hard to walk up

3. after the chad a pault that hill on the right side the roller you guys added should have more of a lip, irl you are able to jump over it

4.before the finish that hill could be much steeper, and the wall before the tables in the back is a little taller and more peaked.

But other then that the track is great.
Jeremy150

Re: 2023 RaceFactory Nationals Round 8 Washougal

Post by Jeremy150 »

First post updated with Washougal
uair
Team: Privateer

Re: 2023 RaceFactory Nationals Round 8 Washougal

Post by uair »

Was base payout but some others have added to it and the purse is currently at $171
Jeremy150

Re: 2023 RaceFactory Nationals Round 9 Unadilla

Post by Jeremy150 »

First post updated with Unadilla