2012 GoPro / Racer X Amateur Film Festival

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
MXJProductions
Team: MXJP

Re: 2012 GoPro / Racer X Amateur Film Festival

Post by MXJProductions »

BrutalMX wrote:Evans, how exactly did you get hooked up to film Brayton and Cooper?
His dad is JGR's PR guy.
Sib43
Team: pridemx.at

Post by Sib43 »

What a shame for me on my video lol. When I see all of your videos, I don't wanna show mine any more. lol
supercross711

Post by supercross711 »

BrutalMX wrote:Evans, how exactly did you get hooked up to film Brayton and Cooper? Honestly, you could've done a lot better job especially considering they're two top riders. Song was ehhhh and every clip almost bored me...too MXsim like.

Reaaaaly wish I was able to participate this year
lets see your vid and we can talk :roll:
P2sta wrote:Read it again, you are going full are going full 'meurican here.
MXJProductions

Post by MXJProductions »

supercross711 wrote:
BrutalMX wrote:Evans, how exactly did you get hooked up to film Brayton and Cooper? Honestly, you could've done a lot better job especially considering they're two top riders. Song was ehhhh and every clip almost bored me...too MXsim like.

Umm he has a youtube channel in his signature, check it out. He does some pretty sick work Evans. I 100% agree with his opinion on this matter. Having guys like that in a video, I would have tried to expose that as much as possible. Just because your dad has the hookup, and u get the chance of a lifetime to film some gnarly guys, does not mean you're above/better than anyone. Just keep working at it, and improving.

For instance when I watch this video evans. First impression is you were late to a video shoot, and they were riding without you there, and u got there and started filming. There was nothing building up to the riding, just a lot of text in the intro, and some what same angles. I just really see a lot of potential here in this footage, that was not done on par. May not be fact, but just our opinions here man.

"It's not always who is in your video, it's how you make the video."- Danny Stuart

Keep in mind this does not mean it is a bad video. I can see this making top 8 easily. So chillax guy.
Zach_496

Post by Zach_496 »

MXJProductions wrote:
supercross711 wrote:

Umm he has a youtube channel in his signature, check it out. He does some pretty sick work Evans. I 100% agree with his opinion on this matter. Having guys like that in a video, I would have tried to expose that as much as possible. Just because your dad has the hookup, and u get the chance of a lifetime to film some gnarly guys, does not mean you're above/better than anyone. Just keep working at it, and improving.

For instance when I watch this video evans. First impression is you were late to a video shoot, and they were riding without you there, and u got there and started filming. There was nothing building up to the riding, just a lot of text in the intro, and some what same angles. I just really see a lot of potential here in this footage, that was not done on par. May not be fact, but just our opinions here man.

"It's not always who is in your video, it's how you make the video."- Danny Stuart

Keep in mind this does not mean it is a bad video. I can see this making top 8 easily. So chillax guy.
100% right, the video was good, just there was no transitions throughout. mostly just all riding. Who is in the video definitely helps, but you need to have transitions with riding and off the bike situations. It keep the viewers interested and adds interesting elements. You had good editing and footy and I am taking nothing away from you, no one in here is either, just it is advice for next year or a new edit you may be making. Expecially with faster riders, the need for extreme editing is not there. Clean and simple with fast riders is just as good as anything, a little slow mo here and there helps too, just don't overdo it. Good luck to all of you in the contest. Hope to meet up in the Final 8 and even maybe 4.
BrutalMX

Post by BrutalMX »

MXJProductions wrote:
supercross711 wrote:

For instance when I watch this video evans. First impression is you were late to a video shoot, and they were riding without you there, and u got there and started filming.
You hit it right on the nail, man. If you'd like to see some of my work, check out my Youtube channel like Jeff said. I give you some constructive criticism and the best thing you can think of is, "lets see yours then we'll talk." Reeaaaaaly mature haha.

As far as the JGR hookup, mad jelly on that. If it werent for my buddy getting hurt literally ONE WEEK before the Unadilla GNCC, I'd have entered. I had sooo much preprodcution ready to go, had pretty much the whole video scripted. Being a full-time student living 2 hours from home kinda resulted in me not being able to film anyone else.

As far as I can tell, there's not one video that emphasizes what I think theyre looking for. Every video just has a song dubbed to it; there's really no importance of anything, really. What I planned to do was actually tell a story about an upcoming riders dream racing GNCC professionally...really wish it wouldve worked out. Oh well, there's always next year.
Austin Mulhern | Motopixels REV
Image[/a]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/paprod]YouTube Channel

p2sta wrote:since your name is CRF450R you should not worry about kawasaki :lol:
BrutalMX

Post by BrutalMX »

MXJProductions wrote:

WHAT???!!!!! Why not???
Just saw this. Yeh man, my dude broke his collarbone one week before the Unadilla GNCC, where I planned to do much of the filming. Had some interview stuff planned, and it was looking to be pretty damn emotional. Suckss it happened the way it did. He pulled an August Sanders and smashed a tree with his shoulder, resulting in a broken collarbone :?
Image[/a]

p2sta wrote:since your name is CRF450R you should not worry about kawasaki :lol:
MXJProductions

Post by MXJProductions »

BrutalMX wrote:As far as I can tell, there's not one video that emphasizes what I think theyre looking for. Every video just has a song dubbed to it; there's really no importance of anything, really. What I planned to do was actually tell a story about an upcoming riders dream racing GNCC professionally...really wish it wouldve worked out. Oh well, there's always next year.
I may be taking this the wrong way but this comes of as you basically saying " none of the videos this year is as good as what mine would have been " If that is the case , you're dead wrong. Honestly from the sounds of it, your video would have been not a good suit for this contest. In the 4 minutes you are allowed, IMO It is important not really to tell a story, but to keep the viewer excited enough to get a vote. Don't get me wrong it sounds like a neat video, but if they really wanted to know a story, than they would have given the contest a theme.

Does suck tho that you could not enter, would have been nice to see how everyone faired out against each other.
supercross711

Post by supercross711 »

I would rather film a loser guy who can through whips, filming with these guys isnt easy, they are always trying to just do lap times and i need to try to stay out of the way, also all i have a is a canon 60D a glide track that weighs 50 pounds and a make shift handle, this is the best i can do given the situation.
BrutalMX

Post by BrutalMX »

MXJProductions wrote:
BrutalMX wrote:As far as I can tell, there's not one video that emphasizes what I think theyre looking for. Every video just has a song dubbed to it; there's really no importance of anything, really. What I planned to do was actually tell a story about an upcoming riders dream racing GNCC professionally...really wish it wouldve worked out. Oh well, there's always next year.
I may be taking this the wrong way but this comes of as you basically saying " none of the videos this year is as good as what mine would have been " If that is the case , you're dead wrong. Honestly from the sounds of it, your video would have been not a good suit for this contest. In the 4 minutes you are allowed, IMO It is important not really to tell a story, but to keep the viewer excited enough to get a vote. Don't get me wrong it sounds like a neat video, but if they really wanted to know a story, than they would have given the contest a theme.

Does suck tho that you could not enter, would have been nice to see how everyone faired out against each other.
Nah man, that's not what I meant at all! I'm just saying, I'd rather see a video with a little story behind it. Kinda sick of the constant web edits nowadays...it's turned into this: pick a song, put some slow-mo and normal speed clips in and you've got yourself an edit.

Your edit, Jeff, looks pretty good I must say! And Evans, having the right equipment is only half the battle. I'm in the same boat as you: 60d, homemade handle, homemade glide track. The trick to cinematography is getting your idea out there no matter what the equipment. Work with what ya got!
Image[/a]

supercross711

Post by supercross711 »

i agree but thos pro riders do not like working with filmers haha
DJD

Post by DJD »

Blah, blah, blah. Thats been done a million times over. Its tough for amateur filmers to do anything other than a standard edit, we dont have the budget to do a cinema quality production and we only have four minutes to try to win a vote. Nobody wants to watch a four minute Kyle Cowling melodrama. Ive only seen two videos that are legit contenders to win. The rest, including mine, are just average at best. I also hate the open voting to decide the winners, thats horse shit. It should be judged by professionals with the winner being decided based on a standardized criteria. That way each video would be judged equally and the most talented man would win.
MXJProductions

Post by MXJProductions »

supercross711 wrote:i agree but thos pro riders do not like working with filmers haha
Timmy Ferry/Todd Krieg does :wink:
supercross711 wrote:also all i have a is a canon 60D
Danny stuart uses a 60d, and a $150 tripod for all of his videos lol.
supercross711 wrote:I would rather film a loser guy who can through whips, filming with these guys isnt easy, they are always trying to just do lap times and i need to try to stay out of the way
Just a tip, but here lies your problem. You try to stay out of the way more than get their attention. Let them know ahead of time, that you're going to be getting the sickest shit ever. In my shoot at Ferrys , he was wanting to just run laps, but he also was aware that I was filming for something sick. So he would come by, I would throw my hand up, letting him know I was there, and pointing at myself, He picked up on it, and was doing look backs etc.

Go outside of your comfort zone to get the sickest shit ever. Like me laying on my back on the middle of the Table top, letting Pup/Wilfredo jump over me, whipping looking down. Just ask them, and let them know your there to do a job as well. Make them look better.
MXJProductions

Post by MXJProductions »

Oh and now that DJD has joined in on this. I want to give a shout out to my boy for patenting the Diehl Power squat. Like a boss!!!! :lol: :lol:

Man this part was hilarious man
supercross711

Post by supercross711 »

Tim Ferry wasnt getting ready for bercy. they were running lap times with the mechanics and they new ahead of time i was going to film and why. i also dotn have enough money for a tripod, that would help alot...