Buying a New Camcorder/Video-Camera! Need Help

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
jox72

Buying a New Camcorder/Video-Camera! Need Help

Post by jox72 »

Helloo! :)

I am thinking about making motocross videos but I can't figure out what camera I should buy.

My budget is around $1200-$1300 (for the camera only. I have tripods etc already).

There's two cameras that I have been looking at specifically. http://www.sony.co.uk/product/cam-high- ... ations#tab and http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product ... IA_HF_G10/

My "experience" tells me that I want the Canon Legria, but if I understand the specs right it only records in 25fps witch in my mind appears to be very low. Slow motions would be very unsmooth. Are there any other specifications that come in play when it comes to this? :roll:

Thanks a lot in advance! :D
Sib43
Team: pridemx.at

Re: Buying a New Camcorder/Video-Camera! Need Help

Post by Sib43 »

I have the panasonic x900 which is very compartable with these 2. I checked many tests and the panasonic was on nearly every test better. However I would not recommend any of these.

Expect 500$ for reparations a year. Those camcorders can't handle the dirt which sometimes comes in. My next cam will be the son nex vg20 or vg30. Maybe you should check out the vg20.

Another bad thing is the low light which isn't good especially with my panasonic and I think the canon and sony aren't better.
MXJProductions
Team: MXJP

Post by MXJProductions »

First off, there is more to a camera than just " oh it films HD ". If your budget just for the camera is $1,200-- $1,300 than why not go with a DSLR? DSLR offers way more than what any of these can give.I am not going to go into details, but you should check into Nikon/Canon DSLR's of your choice. You can find a Canon 7d now a days, with the kit lens for that amount. Even the new T4i. Plus not going to lie, I would not get caught dead at a track with that style of camera lol. I would go DSLR, or full on video camera ( much more expensive )
jox72

Post by jox72 »

Thanks a lot for your response guys! :D

I think the DSLR-cameras will fit me and my budget a lot more than the V20/V30's.
I checked out some videos of the Canon 7D and the quality seems to be really good. I am not very familiar with lenses and stuff but I would like to have manual and auto-focus if possible at a fairly low price. And also some kind of zoom function.
I would really appreciate if you could send me some links for usable lenses and the camera itself (to make sure I am looking at the right thing ;) ). Microphone and miscs like that will have to wait until summer.

PS. I am able to get a few more dollars if I wait a couple of months, but not more than another $200.

Thanks again! :)
magnusson
Team: Wannabe

Post by magnusson »

if i where you id get thr 60d its about 1200 bucks whit a 18-200mm lens on amazon, which is good for close range and some distance, i think it would be good for just a starter pack, and when you get more into this you can get more lenses and a better body sometime, but you have to remember that lenses are for ever but not the body's so you cant have the body for ever, you will have to get a new one later on. the 60d is very much a like the 7d, its just the 7d is a bit better in someways. canon is te way to go trust me, just ask jeff :wink:
vurbmoto wrote: - Kevin Windham is still a BOSS
My Release's on PureMXS
jgmx893
Team: ConstantMoto

Post by jgmx893 »

I don't have this camera, but I know the canon t3i is great for filming, and costs about 6-800 depending on where you buy it. It has zoom(of course) and I'm pretty sure depth of field. If you've ever seen any of Dillon Gwaltney's videos, I'm pretty sure thats the camera he uses.

Subscribe for quality mx and mxsim films! http://www.youtube.com/jgmx893

Head over to the ConstantMoto facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/constantmoto
goudbeekie
Crushed Dissenter
Team: TattlerMX Honda

Post by goudbeekie »

If i was you, buy a Canon 550D or 650D, or something like that camera's. but they need 60fps or higher! That are really good ones ;)
jox72

Post by jox72 »

Thank you guys so much!
I will check all of your suggestions out and look over my budget. Feel free to give me other suggestions and tips :)
jox72

Post by jox72 »

My granddad (who will support my budget) just sent me a link of the Canon XA10. Does anyone have any thoughts of this camera?

So far my thoughts are pointing at the Canon EOS 7D, but I am not sure of what lens fits my needs. "My needs": Some sort of zoom and manual+auto-focus.

What I have been using earlier for photography is two Canon EOS 1D's. I am not sure if these have any value at all since they where made in 2001 but if anyone know if they have I might be able to fill up my bankaccount a little more and get a better camera. :)
magnusson
Team: Wannabe

Post by magnusson »

get the 18-135 lens whit the 7d, very good lens and has image stabiliation, and we looooove that!
vurbmoto wrote: - Kevin Windham is still a BOSS
My Release's on PureMXS
jox72

Post by jox72 »

magnusson wrote:get the 18-135 lens whit the 7d, very good lens and has image stabiliation, and we looooove that!
Tomorrow I will go to a local media-store and check out the 7d. The 18-135 lens seems to be a perfect for motocross filming so I will check that out too!
I'll post an update when I have bought whatever I get. Until then I am still open for suggestions! :)
Sib43

Post by Sib43 »

hey guys could help me out too...

I thought of buying the 7d but now I saw the cheaper and new 650D (us version t4i) which is comparable with the 7d i think.

And I'm looking for a lens which shouldnt cost more then 1000 bucks. It should be up to 200mm, with image stabilisation and 2,8 (i guess this is probably best). Could you recommend a good lens? I dont wanna use a tripod all the time because on many tracks its hard to use it. so stabilisation is a must :)

thanks
jox72

Post by jox72 »

I got the Canon 7d with a 18-135mm lens. Amazed by the quality of pictures/video!
Thanks a lot guys for helping me out. I can't wait to start filming some motocross! :D
Sib43

Post by Sib43 »

do you think 135mm is enough?
MXJProductions
Team: MXJP

Post by MXJProductions »

Yes it is enough lol.