Homework thread?

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
Boblob801
Team: <3 Andy

Re: Homework thread?

Post by Boblob801 »

When you say integration is basic do you mean the integration they do is simple. e.g. Integrate 4x? answer being 2x squared +c. We used c idn what you guys might use.
I did some pretty tricky shit were we got given the curve of a rocket and had to integrate and differentiate to find the velocity, acceleration the speed at which it hit the ground the peak velocity etc. It might not be that tricky for you or if you use it all the time but sometimes I was unsure if velocity was the first derivative or the second.
Hi
wheels1758

Post by wheels1758 »

Sweendoggy wrote:AB is like intro to calc, and I believe you get to about the fundamental therom of calculus, maybe not that far. Integration is pretty basic. Calc 2 is when they turn up the juice lol

I'm willing to help with whatever if I catch it in here, I'm studying hardcore for a FAT exam coming up which will test all my knowledge gained this far, which means doing things like Calc and Diff EQ which I haven't taken a class for in MANY years, so the practice would do me good!
Got a 5 on the AP Calc AB test. Skipped calculus 1 and 2 in college. So worth it.
Sweendoggy
Team: Lone Wolf

Post by Sweendoggy »

Boblob801 wrote:When you say integration is basic do you mean the integration they do is simple. e.g. Integrate 4x? answer being 2x squared +c. We used c idn what you guys might use.
I did some pretty tricky shit were we got given the curve of a rocket and had to integrate and differentiate to find the velocity, acceleration the speed at which it hit the ground the peak velocity etc. It might not be that tricky for you or if you use it all the time but sometimes I was unsure if velocity was the first derivative or the second.
I mean simple integration (polynomials, basic antiderivatives, area under curves/functions, basic trig).... not doing integration by parts,U substitution, trig subs, integration by partial fractions, areas of revolutions, diff eqs, parametric equations, polar coordinates, Taylor and maclaurin series, vector calculus, lagrange, double/triple integrals, partial derivatives....that all comes in Calc 2 and 3 lol
Boblob801

Post by Boblob801 »

Taylor and maclaurin series, lagrange. I don't think I did any of that stuff in calculus. So I probs wouldn't have "Calc 3"
Hi
Sweendoggy
Team: Lone Wolf

Post by Sweendoggy »

Boblob801 wrote:sometimes I was unsure if velocity was the first derivative or the second.
Oh and that is easy by now, cause it's VERY usefull! Just remember...

Derivative is a "rate of change"

If you have Position, and you differentiate it with respect to time (dx/dt or xdot), you have a rate of change of position...errr how far you go/how long it takes OR m/s or ft/s (i.e. velocity)

If you have velocity, and you differentiate it with respect to time (dv/dt or d2x/dt2 or xdoubledot), you have a rate of change of velocity....or how much the velocity changes over time, or m/s*1/s=m/s^2 or acceleration....

So Position is just distance, velocity is distance/time, acceleration is distance/time^2 Idk what you are wanting to do, but if you go into engineering my advice is, don't just try to figure out the answers, look for understanding of what is going on, and WHY you are getting things, and the answers will fall into place...plus then you can apply this stuff to MANY more applications than your homework ;)
Boblob801

Post by Boblob801 »

You have a fair point but the more you do it the better you get. A lot of the stuff we learnt was just for fun really, to help us understand. Which is probably a good idea but then again we learnt about electricity so idn lol. I figure once I got into working the stuff I needed to know I would be using on a day to day bases there fore I would be able to do it quick and easy with no thought, just like breathing :lol:
Hi
bdownen323

Post by bdownen323 »

In my AB class I have done u substitution and natural log integration, along with log/exponential integration and derivatives. That was actually the chapter we just finished. But all the other stuff I don't think we've done.
bdownen323

Post by bdownen323 »

Is anyone here good at rotational equilibrium with forces and torques for physics? I swear that's gonna be the death of me.. Like summing the torques/forces for a state of equilibrium and whatnot.
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

Summing moments about a point?
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
Boblob801

Post by Boblob801 »

Yeah, Dj, sween and wheels seem to have there shit down, I know a bit too.
Hi
benspilk09
Team: Privateer

Post by benspilk09 »

bdownen323 wrote:Is anyone here good at rotational equilibrium with forces and torques for physics? I swear that's gonna be the death of me.. Like summing the torques/forces for a state of equilibrium and whatnot.
I think that was the easiest part of physics. Add up all the forces and set them equal to zero, solve for unknown force(s). Its mostly keeping your signs straight and making sure you include everything in your equations.
Mona
Team: MotoOption

Post by Mona »

wheels1758 wrote: Got a 5 on the AP Calc AB test. Skipped calculus 1 and 2 in college. So worth it.
I took the 2012 AP Calc AB exam as a mandatory practice test last week (taking AP Calc class right now), and got a 5.

I haven't found much information on it, but would a 5 transfer credit to most, if not all colleges, no matter the major? Or is it very dependent on the college/major requirements?
benspilk09
Team: Privateer

Post by benspilk09 »

Mona wrote:
wheels1758 wrote: Got a 5 on the AP Calc AB test. Skipped calculus 1 and 2 in college. So worth it.
I took the 2012 AP Calc AB exam as a mandatory practice test last week (taking AP Calc class right now), and got a 5.

I haven't found much information on it, but would a 5 transfer credit to most, if not all colleges, no matter the major? Or is it very dependent on the college/major requirements?
My school didn't care what you had as far as math credit, you had to take a placement exam and they put you in a class based on that. I had dual credit college algebra and trig coming in (both with A's) and bombed the placement tests, got placed in college algebra. I sure love paying for two classes twice, got A's in all 4. What a waste of time.
wheels1758

Post by wheels1758 »

Mona wrote:

It should count for Calc 1 and 2. At least it does around here. I think it will count for math in any major, but they don't require phys ed majors to take calculus... :lol:
bdownen323

Post by bdownen323 »

benspilk09 wrote:
bdownen323 wrote:Is anyone here good at rotational equilibrium with forces and torques for physics? I swear that's gonna be the death of me.. Like summing the torques/forces for a state of equilibrium and whatnot.
I think that was the easiest part of physics. Add up all the forces and set them equal to zero, solve for unknown force(s). Its mostly keeping your signs straight and making sure you include everything in your equations.
The forces are easy. It's the torque and moments of inertia that get me. I think I got it figured out pretty well.