MXS Twitter

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: MXS Twitter

Post by jlv »

There's something different going on there. A maglev train is floated on north against north or south against south (or lifted from above from N against S). That thing is floating in the area between the north and south poles of the magnet if I understood it correctly.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Sweendoggy
Team: Lone Wolf

Post by Sweendoggy »

jlv wrote:There's something different going on there. A maglev train is floated on north against north or south against south (or lifted from above from N against S). That thing is floating in the area between the north and south poles of the magnet if I understood it correctly.
A "Superconductor" has no (very very very little) resistance in it, so essentially it can hold current forever...The looping current creates an electromagnetic field in between it, that pushes against the field produced by the magnet, causing it to "float"

Super conductors are very rare, and right now few materials can be "superconductive", and even the ones that can have to be cooled with liquid nitrogen to a very low temperature.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

I'm pretty sure JLV knows what a superconductor is. I'd almost hazard a guess that he would probably know more about it than any of us, as he seems pretty knowledgable when it comes to all fields of physics. He was just pointing out the difference in the magnetic arrangement of the maglev system vs the one showed in that video.

When I said "thats how the MagLev trains work", I really meant that they operate on the use of superconductors, not the way the magnets are arranged.

But yeah, superconductors are awesome. Hopefully we can one day we can get ones that run at room temperature.
dylan22

Post by dylan22 »

KTM57 wrote:Image
Not a bad pic, lol.
That take out was gold.
Sweendoggy
Team: Lone Wolf

Post by Sweendoggy »

DJ99X wrote:I'm pretty sure JLV knows what a superconductor is. I'd almost hazard a guess that he would probably know more about it than any of us, as he seems pretty knowledgable when it comes to all fields of physics. He was just pointing out the difference in the magnetic arrangement of the maglev system vs the one showed in that video.

When I said "thats how the MagLev trains work", I really meant that they operate on the use of superconductors, not the way the magnets are arranged.

But yeah, superconductors are awesome. Hopefully we can one day we can get ones that run at room temperature.
Ohhhhhhhh, I missed the part where MagLev trains work with superconductors. ALSO I didn't watch the entire video and just assumed it was the old superconductor levitating magnet trick...but just saw the second part of it, and now I get the connection to the MagLev train.
Shadow
Team: FSK

Post by Shadow »

DJ99X wrote:But yeah, superconductors are awesome. Hopefully we can one day we can get ones that run at room temperature.
Indeed, quantum computers anyone? \m/
I'm not greedy, I'll settle for one with 100 qubits. :mrgreen:
Those who possess strength have also known adversity.
checkerz
Team: RaGe Factory

Post by checkerz »

dylan22 wrote:
KTM57 wrote:Image
Not a bad pic, lol.
That take out was gold.
Pretty sure everyone in the stands who knows anything about moto was waiting for that. One of Friese's friends (prolly his best friend assuming he doesn't have many) was watching the race with me and even he couldn't make an excuse as to why that shouldn't have happened.

I would absolutely hate to race the guy; and I've been known to be really aggressive, but damn as a fan watching the whole field try to clean him out is pretty damn entertaining. Everytime I see him on the gate, I am pumped and watch no other guy on the track because I know the action will follow the #45 pin ball.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

DJ99X wrote:I'm pretty sure JLV knows what a superconductor is. I'd almost hazard a guess that he would probably know more about it than any of us, as he seems pretty knowledgable when it comes to all fields of physics. He was just pointing out the difference in the magnetic arrangement of the maglev system vs the one showed in that video.

Actually, while I know what superconductors are, it didn't occur to me that they would levitate over a magnetic field purely from inductive current. I always assumed they were putting a current in a coil of superconductive wire in those floating magnet experiments. But I see how it would naturally work with no outside current. Only thing is, since there is no corrective force (i.e. it's seeking 0 velocity rather than any particular position), a train levitated that way would gradually sink wouldn't it?

I was wrong about the arrangement of the magnets too. When they show the lines representing the magnetic field it's clearly poles up.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Hopefully, in 6 days, i will find out the greatest news of meh life! Nervous though. :oops:
My photography work
www.mikeowenphotographer.com
yz171kx12

Post by yz171kx12 »

Just got released to ride again after breaking my collar bone in two places. Took three and a half months to heals this bad boy.

I guess that's what happens when you're too scared to bail :oops:

These were taken right after it happened.

ddmx

Post by ddmx »

Friend: "I feel bad bc I just punished my toilet."

Me: "Slap a hoe. Who wears the pants in this relationship? She'll take your shit whether she likes it or not!"
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

YouTube just invited me to put ads on my videos. Guess who is downloading Song Vegas?
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

They did it to everyone didn't they? And then they have to be accepted by AdSense...
My photography work
www.mikeowenphotographer.com
Jones221
Team: Trump

Post by Jones221 »

Pumaxcs wrote:YouTube just invited me to put ads on my videos. Guess who is downloading Song Vegas?
Partnership? You don't even post anything?
only one to win something real from the game!
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

Said I wasn't old enough. Next time.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.