Bike Maintenance

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
dylan22

Bike Maintenance

Post by dylan22 »

Hey guys I thought It'd be nice to have a thread where if ya had any concerns or questions with your bikes in real life, you can ask them in here and hopefully find some answers throughout the community.

Ill start off with a easy one haha.

I recently got a Pro Circuit pipe for my 2smoke, (the factory looking one, not the chrome) and I think due to it being raw metal the pipe rusted pretty much straight away, like literally as I was riding mud would hit the pipe and begin to rust. Is there anyway to get rid of the rust? It ruins the look of the bike massively.
Klutch
Team: None

Re: Bike Maintenance

Post by Klutch »

dylan22 wrote:Hey guys I thought It'd be nice to have a thread where if ya had any concerns or questions with your bikes in real life, you can ask them in here and hopefully find some answers throughout the community.

I recently got a Pro Circuit pipe for my 2smoke, (the factory looking one, not the chrome) and I think due to it being raw metal the pipe rusted pretty much straight away, like literally as I was riding mud would hit the pipe and begin to rust. Is there anyway to get rid of the rust? It ruins the look of the bike massively.
I've got a lot of rust too and my friends talk shit about it, but what they said is to take some sandpaper and sand it off.
ShackAttack12

Post by ShackAttack12 »

dylan22 wrote:Hey guys I thought It'd be nice to have a thread where if ya had any concerns or questions with your bikes in real life, you can ask them in here and hopefully find some answers throughout the community.

Word on the street is that you need to spray the pipe with WD-40 or some other lubricant to coat the pipe, before rides.
ShackAttack12
| 2010 Supercross Champ | 2011 Supercross Champ | 2019 Supercross Champ |
TH_722

Post by TH_722 »

Had the same problem. Soak it in some CLR the wipe it off and you're good as new.
Ballsfalsky
Team: Tim Hortons

Post by Ballsfalsky »

I use brake cleaner (or contact cleaner, same thing) to wipe the rust off of my pipe. Works fine. But CLR would work great too. Don't sand it, it will make the already thin metal even thinner, making your pipe more prone to power robbing dents.
KLJ#24
Team: Privateer

Post by KLJ#24 »

If it's jsut surface rust brakecleaner should be bale to get it otherwise use a fine 3m scotch brite pad like a #7447 to rub it off with it's not as hard on the metal as sandpaper so it wont really weaken the material.

And then use wd40 or similar to coat the pipe with each time you wash it. As a bonus the wd40 gives the metal a really cool color :)
NAUpoiss75
Team: Spazztic

Post by NAUpoiss75 »

My father painted my pipe black...no problem enymore :)
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

That defeats the whole purpose of having a raw pipe :lol:.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
SCHAFFERNOCKER
Team: blank

Post by SCHAFFERNOCKER »

little trick i learned.

Take a bottle of toilet bowl cleaner, and a scotch brite pad. I promise youll crap your pants. I always used the works toilet bowl cleaner, not the green bottle, but the white one.
lluks252

Post by lluks252 »

dylan22 wrote:rust
1 thing that never sleeps...
dylan22

Post by dylan22 »

Ill give break cleaner and CLR a go. Cheers for the help. Hope it works!
dylan22

Post by dylan22 »

bought some CLR and WD 40, will see how we go
Jester#132

Post by Jester#132 »

I don't know if this is what you mean; Image

But (in my case) it's usually just sand on there and it looks like rust (I think), with a sponge and some water it comes off fairly easy, then as said before I spray some wd40 on it, or some old oil does the trick fairly well, just smokes a little when the pipe heats up.. :P
"I didn't jump the gate...it musta' flipped back up, after I went over it!?!"
hvpunk62

Post by hvpunk62 »

When i clean my bikes i usually pressure wash it, then go over the plastics with some cleaner..wd-40 if i have none. engine degreaser on motor or gunky areas. and tire and wheel cleaner on wheels obviously then finish that off with some tire shine after. and a s.o.s pad works for those rusty or oxidized areas. (steel wool)
Andy_Hack
Team: SplitFire

Post by Andy_Hack »

When i clean my Bikes I usually just make it wet (lol) then let it for 5 mins
after that i clean it with high pressure until the biggest dirt is away
then i use my "chem"- option on my Kärcher (soap water) spray it over and then make another high pressure wash

when everything is clean i spray everything with WD-40, sometimes silicon spray then wish over it... and done!
for the pipe... JUST RIDE MORE!!! xD I had never problems with rust on my pipe... and believe me i got a HGS raw metal one ;)
but... again there´s a magical friend.. called WD-40! :D
*fancy signature*
d4u5d6u7 wrote:good staff, nice skins, like