Bike Maintenance

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
User avatar
Ballsfalsky
Posts: 2977
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:35 am
Team: Tim Hortons
Location: Your local Hortons

Re: Bike Maintenance

Postby Ballsfalsky » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:51 pm

Hey guys. Have been having this problem for some time now. I bought a new 07 yz250 about a month and a half ago. The first time I rode it, I lost the rear end coming out of one of the more slippery corners at the local track (it was wet, and clay based). As I was sliding sideways, the rear end grabbed and sent me and the bike over the front end. The bike dragged on the Bars and front fender for a good 15 feet before it stopped. Ever since then, the clutch has had a notchy pull. I've since replaced the lever, cable, and play adjuster. I cleaned out the perch, and lubed everything with white lithium grease. It is still notchy. It doesn't look like the perch is damaged, so Im assuming that isn't the problem. I don't think its internal either, considering I don't ride my clutch, and the bike has only 8 rides on it (at tracks and what not). I noticed that the clutch elbow (or w/e you want to call it) is inside the motor, and I also noticed that there is a gap between the cable and the ignition cover where the cable goes into the it. I can wiggle the cable around in there. I'm assuming some sand or grit got in there? Anyone else ever have this problem? And if so, what was your solution?

User avatar
Andy_Hack
Posts: 2298
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:47 am
Team: SplitFire
Location: Germany/Bavaria
Contact:

Re: Bike Maintenance

Postby Andy_Hack » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:02 pm

sorry dude... but i got a hydraulic clutch... never had any problems with it :)
good luck with it!
Photobucket sucks.

User avatar
Ballsfalsky
Posts: 2977
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:35 am
Team: Tim Hortons
Location: Your local Hortons

Re: Bike Maintenance

Postby Ballsfalsky » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:23 pm

Andy_Hack wrote:sorry dude... but i got a hydraulic clutch... never had any problems with it :)
good luck with it!

I miss my hydraulic clutch :/ When I ride my dads Husaberg I realize what i'm missing out on.

ShackAttack12
Posts: 3123
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 1:51 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Bike Maintenance

Postby ShackAttack12 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:43 pm

Ballsfalsky wrote:Hey guys. Have been having this problem for some time now. I bought a new 07 yz250 about a month and a half ago. The first time I rode it, I lost the rear end coming out of one of the more slippery corners at the local track (it was wet, and clay based). As I was sliding sideways, the rear end grabbed and sent me and the bike over the front end. The bike dragged on the Bars and front fender for a good 15 feet before it stopped. Ever since then, the clutch has had a notchy pull. I've since replaced the lever, cable, and play adjuster. I cleaned out the perch, and lubed everything with white lithium grease. It is still notchy. It doesn't look like the perch is damaged, so Im assuming that isn't the problem. I don't think its internal either, considering I don't ride my clutch, and the bike has only 8 rides on it (at tracks and what not). I noticed that the clutch elbow (or w/e you want to call it) is inside the motor, and I also noticed that there is a gap between the cable and the ignition cover where the cable goes into the it. I can wiggle the cable around in there. I'm assuming some sand or grit got in there? Anyone else ever have this problem? And if so, what was your solution?


That hole in the case where the clutch cable goes through is just a guide. There's supposed to be a little play and it has no effect on the clutch pull what so ever.

Just take off the left side engine cover (the flywheel cover) and you'll see the clutch cable is connected to a lever with a thin metal clip. There is no oil in the left side cover so don't worry about any leaks.
ShackAttack12

| 2010 Supercross Champ | 2011 Supercross Champ | 2019 Supercross Champ |

User avatar
Ballsfalsky
Posts: 2977
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:35 am
Team: Tim Hortons
Location: Your local Hortons

Re: Bike Maintenance

Postby Ballsfalsky » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:54 pm

ShackAttack12 wrote:
Ballsfalsky wrote:Hey guys. Have been having this problem for some time now. I bought a new 07 yz250 about a month and a half ago. The first time I rode it, I lost the rear end coming out of one of the more slippery corners at the local track (it was wet, and clay based). As I was sliding sideways, the rear end grabbed and sent me and the bike over the front end. The bike dragged on the Bars and front fender for a good 15 feet before it stopped. Ever since then, the clutch has had a notchy pull. I've since replaced the lever, cable, and play adjuster. I cleaned out the perch, and lubed everything with white lithium grease. It is still notchy. It doesn't look like the perch is damaged, so Im assuming that isn't the problem. I don't think its internal either, considering I don't ride my clutch, and the bike has only 8 rides on it (at tracks and what not). I noticed that the clutch elbow (or w/e you want to call it) is inside the motor, and I also noticed that there is a gap between the cable and the ignition cover where the cable goes into the it. I can wiggle the cable around in there. I'm assuming some sand or grit got in there? Anyone else ever have this problem? And if so, what was your solution?


That hole in the case where the clutch cable goes through is just a guide. There's supposed to be a little play and it has no effect on the clutch pull what so ever.

Just take off the left side engine cover (the flywheel cover) and you'll see the clutch cable is connected to a lever with a thin metal clip. There is no oil in the left side cover so don't worry about any leaks.

I know there isnt any oil on that side. my dad had an 04 and an 09, loved em both, and knows em like the back of his hand. Both he and I cant figure out why it is notchy. Is the guide supposed to be sealed with an o-ring or something? Where I have been riding lately is really sandy, and I'm wondering if maybe sand is getting inside the flywheel cover.

User avatar
Andy_Hack
Posts: 2298
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:47 am
Team: SplitFire
Location: Germany/Bavaria
Contact:

Re: Bike Maintenance

Postby Andy_Hack » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:01 pm

...sounds easy to me .. buy a new bike! xDD nah joking...
Hydraulic clutches are just wonderful :) as i used to ride Kawasaki in 65s and then moved to the KTM 85 SX with hdyraulic clutch you dont really care anymore about your clutch :P
Photobucket sucks.

ShackAttack12
Posts: 3123
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 1:51 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Bike Maintenance

Postby ShackAttack12 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:21 pm

Ballsfalsky wrote:I know there isnt any oil on that side. my dad had an 04 and an 09, loved em both, and knows em like the back of his hand. Both he and I cant figure out why it is notchy. Is the guide supposed to be sealed with an o-ring or something? Where I have been riding lately is really sandy, and I'm wondering if maybe sand is getting inside the flywheel cover.


The hole is a guide for the clutch cable casing, not the cable itself. It should not effect clutch pull what so ever. Yes, there should be an o-ring on your clutch cable casing that semi seals it.

A grabby clutch is usually attributed to a notchy clutch basket or inner inner basket. Either that, or your clutch push rod is worn down, or the #24 actuator in the below image is worn.

Since you checked the cable and lever and all that up top, next would be to pull the flywheel cover and check the arm. If you notice nothing there, lean your bike all the way over on its left side (so that the left footpeg is touching the ground pretty much). This will allow you to pull the clutch cover off and inspect the baskets without having to drain the tranny/clutch fluid.

http://www.boats.net/images/diagrams/fb/parts_yamaha/62/02/0850/0012.png (Click this link)

24- What your clutch cable connects to inside the flywheel cover.
23- Clutch pushrod
6- outer basket
7- inner basket.
ShackAttack12

| 2010 Supercross Champ | 2011 Supercross Champ | 2019 Supercross Champ |

User avatar
Ballsfalsky
Posts: 2977
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:35 am
Team: Tim Hortons
Location: Your local Hortons

Re: Bike Maintenance

Postby Ballsfalsky » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:06 am

ShackAttack12 wrote:
Ballsfalsky wrote:I know there isnt any oil on that side. my dad had an 04 and an 09, loved em both, and knows em like the back of his hand. Both he and I cant figure out why it is notchy. Is the guide supposed to be sealed with an o-ring or something? Where I have been riding lately is really sandy, and I'm wondering if maybe sand is getting inside the flywheel cover.


The hole is a guide for the clutch cable casing, not the cable itself. It should not effect clutch pull what so ever. Yes, there should be an o-ring on your clutch cable casing that semi seals it.

A grabby clutch is usually attributed to a notchy clutch basket or inner inner basket. Either that, or your clutch push rod is worn down, or the #24 actuator in the below image is worn.

Since you checked the cable and lever and all that up top, next would be to pull the flywheel cover and check the arm. If you notice nothing there, lean your bike all the way over on its left side (so that the left footpeg is touching the ground pretty much). This will allow you to pull the clutch cover off and inspect the baskets without having to drain the tranny/clutch fluid.

http://www.boats.net/images/diagrams/fb/parts_yamaha/62/02/0850/0012.png (Click this link)

24- What your clutch cable connects to inside the flywheel cover.
23- Clutch pushrod
6- outer basket
7- inner basket.

I dont think its anything internal unless its premature wear. It has 8 rides on it, oil has been changed 3 times. I broke it in properly, and have raced it 2x. I don't ride the clutch, or anything, and I noticed it started feeling notchy after I crashed. I just changed the clutch boot (rubber piece) and the bushing for the new lever (I replaced last ride) came out with alot of dirt and grit. I felt inside and there was no lube at all. I put some white lithium grease on it, cleaned all the other pieces around the clutch perch with contact cleaner, some shop towl, and lubed it with a little more lithium grease. deffinitley smoother, but I think it may be something to do with the perch.

ShackAttack12
Posts: 3123
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 1:51 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Bike Maintenance

Postby ShackAttack12 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:22 am

Ballsfalsky wrote:I dont think its anything internal unless its premature wear. It has 8 rides on it, oil has been changed 3 times. I broke it in properly, and have raced it 2x. I don't ride the clutch, or anything, and I noticed it started feeling notchy after I crashed. I just changed the clutch boot (rubber piece) and the bushing for the new lever (I replaced last ride) came out with alot of dirt and grit. I felt inside and there was no lube at all. I put some white lithium grease on it, cleaned all the other pieces around the clutch perch with contact cleaner, some shop towl, and lubed it with a little more lithium grease. deffinitley smoother, but I think it may be something to do with the perch.


Did you lube the cable at all, or just the boot and the lever? If not, then that may be why its feeling grabby.

Disconnect the clutch cable from both ends, lever and at the actuator behind the flywheel cover. Then hold the top side vertical with the cable pulled all the way out. Use that lithium grease with the narrow red hose on it. Stick the hose inside the clutch cable casing and spray a bit of it in there. Then work the cable in and out for a few seconds, and then spray some more in there. Do this a couple times and you'll probably notice it getting smoother.
ShackAttack12

| 2010 Supercross Champ | 2011 Supercross Champ | 2019 Supercross Champ |

User avatar
Ballsfalsky
Posts: 2977
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:35 am
Team: Tim Hortons
Location: Your local Hortons

Re: Bike Maintenance

Postby Ballsfalsky » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:53 am

ShackAttack12 wrote:
Ballsfalsky wrote:I dont think its anything internal unless its premature wear. It has 8 rides on it, oil has been changed 3 times. I broke it in properly, and have raced it 2x. I don't ride the clutch, or anything, and I noticed it started feeling notchy after I crashed. I just changed the clutch boot (rubber piece) and the bushing for the new lever (I replaced last ride) came out with alot of dirt and grit. I felt inside and there was no lube at all. I put some white lithium grease on it, cleaned all the other pieces around the clutch perch with contact cleaner, some shop towl, and lubed it with a little more lithium grease. deffinitley smoother, but I think it may be something to do with the perch.


Did you lube the cable at all, or just the boot and the lever? If not, then that may be why its feeling grabby.

Disconnect the clutch cable from both ends, lever and at the actuator behind the flywheel cover. Then hold the top side vertical with the cable pulled all the way out. Use that lithium grease with the narrow red hose on it. Stick the hose inside the clutch cable casing and spray a bit of it in there. Then work the cable in and out for a few seconds, and then spray some more in there. Do this a couple times and you'll probably notice it getting smoother.

problem being, that lithium grease is in a tube. It is literally grease. But yeah, Ill take a look again.

User avatar
Ballsfalsky
Posts: 2977
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:35 am
Team: Tim Hortons
Location: Your local Hortons

Re: Bike Maintenance

Postby Ballsfalsky » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:36 am

Just took the cover off to take a look. there was grit in there. Fired up the compressor and sprayed all the dirt out, removed the cable from the elbow and case, sprayed a little air up to see if any grit was in there, Put some grease on the cable, put a little grease on the o-ring, put it back through the case, greased the elbow and pivot point for the shaft, cleaned the gasket, and put everything back together. I used Red High-temp gasket maker to make a seal where the cable goes into the case, so no more grit will get through. Still a little notchy but then again the bike is stone cold. I'm going riding tomorrow so Ill see how it is then.

User avatar
Wahlamt
Posts: 6820
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:15 pm
Team: MLG Compton
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Bike Maintenance

Postby Wahlamt » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:00 pm

Hey!

I'm looking to start riding again, I'll be buying a 2015 Honda CRF450. What is there to think about? I've always had my dad to rely on in the past helping me out, but I'd like to get the basics down. This is what I got so far
  • After every ride - Clean air filter and put grease/oil back in it
  • 5h - Change oil
  • 10h - Change oil filter
  • 50h (+?) - Change piston
Have I missed something important to do? I know you have to look at the pressure in the fork before I ride to see where it's at. But other than that?

Lynch
Posts: 1432
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:49 pm
Team: Atlas Technologies
Location: Sweden

Re: Bike Maintenance

Postby Lynch » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:50 am

Wahlamt wrote:Hey!

I'm looking to start riding again, I'll be buying a 2015 Honda CRF450. What is there to think about? I've always had my dad to rely on in the past helping me out, but I'd like to get the basics down. This is what I got so far
  • After every ride - Clean air filter and put grease/oil back in it
  • 5h - Change oil
  • 10h - Change oil filter
  • 50h (+?) - Change piston
Have I missed something important to do? I know you have to look at the pressure in the fork before I ride to see where it's at. But other than that?

Spokes, important nuts and bolts should be checked before every ride. Service the suspension every 20h, at the same time remove and grease the bearings (clamps, swingarm, linkage)

User avatar
Wahlamt
Posts: 6820
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:15 pm
Team: MLG Compton
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Bike Maintenance

Postby Wahlamt » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:30 am

Lynch wrote:
Wahlamt wrote:Hey!

I'm looking to start riding again, I'll be buying a 2015 Honda CRF450. What is there to think about? I've always had my dad to rely on in the past helping me out, but I'd like to get the basics down. This is what I got so far
  • After every ride - Clean air filter and put grease/oil back in it
  • 5h - Change oil
  • 10h - Change oil filter
  • 50h (+?) - Change piston
Have I missed something important to do? I know you have to look at the pressure in the fork before I ride to see where it's at. But other than that?

Spokes, important nuts and bolts should be checked before every ride. Service the suspension every 20h, at the same time remove and grease the bearings (clamps, swingarm, linkage)

Thanks!
Any advice on how to check the spokes? Also service the suspension, what's the definition? Change rubber gaskets (packings? How to MX English 101...) or full "let a store/shop do their thing"? Grease, just any grease for it that you can buy in an MX store?

Lynch
Posts: 1432
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:49 pm
Team: Atlas Technologies
Location: Sweden

Re: Bike Maintenance

Postby Lynch » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:56 am

Wahlamt wrote:
Lynch wrote:Spokes, important nuts and bolts should be checked before every ride. Service the suspension every 20h, at the same time remove and grease the bearings (clamps, swingarm, linkage)

Thanks!
Any advice on how to check the spokes? Also service the suspension, what's the definition? Change rubber gaskets (packings? How to MX English 101...) or full "let a store/shop do their thing"? Grease, just any grease for it that you can buy in an MX store?

Buy a spoke wrench, the one Biltema has is actually quite good :lol: I usually do fluids every 20h and change anything that needs to be changed, and when I say I do it's RG3 Scandinavia or my dad. I do everything myself but engine and suspension work. I use marine grease from Swedol or Q8.

Skicka ett pm om du vill, kanske blir lättare att svara/ställa frågor :D


Return to “Off Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests