What bike you prefer? Poll

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.

What bike you prefer?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:40 am

Honda
37%
Suzuki
14%
Yamaha
15%
KTM
17%
Kawasaki
14%
Husaberg
No votes
Husqvarna
3%

Total votes: 71

JETZcorp
Team: Privateer

Re: What bike you prefer? Poll

Post by JETZcorp »

My uncle owns two dudes with Yamaha 450s (don't know what year, but they're blue and plastic). They'd hold up decently in a drag against his 1980 430 Husky, until he hit 6th and took off for Jupiter. This isn't the fault of the Yammies, when a big-bore Husqvarna hits 6th, you either lose sight of the world through the dust, or you're on a big-bore Husqvarna yourself. However, both of those Yamahas now sit in a garage, both with broken transmissions. The 430 runs better than it has in 20 years. The Husky's good condition is probably thanks to my uncle's absolutely unrivalled care for his bikes, but it's kind of scary that the only two YZ450s we've encountered had the same major breakdown.
Give me more power.
Give me more handling.
Give me more style.
Give me more Maico.
motox755

Post by motox755 »

yea in a drag their meant for a track!
ive never had any trouble with the motors in my yammys the 03 we sold to my buddy runs like new still. my 06 250f and my dads 06 450 still run great and my 08 hasnt given me any problems.
JETZcorp

Post by JETZcorp »

For the record, the Husky is meant for the track, too. Then again, the Swedes decided to make their bikes great on the track AND through the giggleweeds at 90mph. That's why the front-end is so spectacular.

Anyway, I'm sure the lion's share of reliability is simply up to the maintenance given to it, how it's ridden, and simple luck. Of course, there's always your Toyota Hilux invincibility (see TopGear) and your Ford Pinto deathtraps out there. I hate to bring up Maico again, but one of the things that really killed the company was the '83 transmission's tendency to occasionally blow up, and I think that actually killed a couple of riders. Would've been the best bike in the world if it wasn't for the whole sabotage thing... :cry:
Give me more power.
Give me more handling.
Give me more style.
Give me more Maico.
motox755

Post by motox755 »

killed?!?
but yea i always have to have my bike clean and in tip top shape that probably helps
Also do you like study up on this stuff cause you are a like a old motocross encyclopedia
JETZcorp

Post by JETZcorp »

I get most of this from my dad's ravings as we're heading out to go camping and stuff. My knowledge on the old stuff is a lot more limited that it may seem, though. Ask me about the differences in Suzukis through any years at all and I'll have nothing. My dad is a Maicofreak (he owns five) so that's why I'm so big on those. I can tell you approximately what was changed on each bike from '76 through '83, but like I say, that's ONLY for Maico. Now that I think of it, I need to do some more digging into Husky info... :roll:
Give me more power.
Give me more handling.
Give me more style.
Give me more Maico.
Triggerhappy_SWE

Post by Triggerhappy_SWE »

how do you lean backwards in the game?
Rallemx

Post by Rallemx »

Wrong thread dude o,o..look in the general discussion and you'll find it, use the search button..Its a snapshot, lemme get you a link o,o..
here, http://www.mxsimulator.com/benchracing3 ... a&start=45
Download that and put it in mx simulator folder and it should work, you just gotta set the keys for forward and backward lean, and you need the full game for this..

also, doesnt KTM own husqvarna now? o,o.. :P
DankeKTM21
Team: Danke KTM

Post by DankeKTM21 »

Rallemx wrote:Wrong thread dude o,o..look in the general discussion and you'll find it, use the search button..Its a snapshot, lemme get you a link o,o..
here, http://www.mxsimulator.com/benchracing3 ... a&start=45
Download that and put it in mx simulator folder and it should work, you just gotta set the keys for forward and backward lean, and you need the full game for this..

also, doesnt KTM own husqvarna now? o,o.. :P
i dont know husqvarna, husaberg is own by ktm
Kawasakis wrote:Hah yeah, because basketball and football requires just one ball - two balls just only for motocross riders haha
moorin

Post by moorin »

DankeKTM21 wrote:
frederick wrote:Ive borrowed a ktm 450exc (when i was riding enduro)
And i can tell you, that suspension... <3<3<3<3
2feet logs and rocks, it was like riding on sand, it just plowed through everything. I was even faster on that 450 than on my 125sx.

Now Im riding honda, but im changing to ktm soon, Ktm will forever be in my heart :mrgreen:
If they didnt excist i would probly go for honda.
its WP suspension, if you dont calibrate it, or do it wrong, its the worst suspension you can have, but, if you do a good calibration, OMG <3<3<3<3
and the shock, its diferent than all the jap bikes, japans shock when it compress, it go off the bike, if you fall a jump short, it digg into the ground and you can crash, the ktm shock is horizontal, it is always into the bike, so its difficult it digg into the ground. my opinion, anyway, u dont have to buy new suspensions to a KTM. of course if you are Tommy Searle hehe

haha you mean the jap bikes have a linkage and the ktm is like a walmart moutain bike and is just connected to he swingarm, had a sx125 and hated every second of it, the suspension was rock hard even after having it re-built and the brakes were all or nothing, the motor was fast but as with every ktm thats the only good point, it also had a bigger turing circle then all my mates bikeswhich were jap because the rads were to close o the triple clamps, if i had to choose i would have a TM but on mxs i love the yammi.
YAMAHA privateers moorin,
if you aint rubbin you aint dubbin!
DankeKTM21

Post by DankeKTM21 »

well i dont know if u calibrate it at all, maybe you just boughted and ride stock and when you go fast the fork suspension make youre handlebar go left, right, left, right, left right, and youre shock suspension get you a frontflip, isnt you? because you dont calibrate it. :)

i dont know if you have a new bike, maybe yours was 2004-2006, ktm u have to repair and change oils every month, i change the rings of the piston in 3 weeks and piston once a month, because the name says, READY to RACE, no just ride in youre farm, so for freeride i dont recomend u a ktm, better is japanse for freeriding, and if u want make faster a japan, just put in like 1500 dollars, if you are racing, not freeriding :)
Kawasakis wrote:Hah yeah, because basketball and football requires just one ball - two balls just only for motocross riders haha
Phathry25
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by Phathry25 »

orly?

When was the last time a KTM won an AMA Title? And don't play the AMA title is worthless card either, why else would everyone from around the world be flocking to the US to try for an AMA title? In my Honda I change the engine oil every ride, and the transmission oil every 3 rides. Yay more often that a KTM!!! I get about 1/2 a season out of a piston and rings. It seems to me that the KTM piston and rings are lacking in quality and that's why you need to freshen up your motor so often. When I got my MX bike I didn't need to calibrate my suspension, I just took it to the track and raced it. I even pulled the holeshot both moto's, my first two gate starts ever I holeshotted, without a holeshot device either. :) Seems race ready to me. How can you brag that a bike is race ready, right after saying that you need to calibrate the suspension in order to ride it? That seems fairly contradictory to me.
frederick
Team: Adept

Post by frederick »

How many ktms are riding the nationals compared to the world mx gp's where ktm got 1 2 and 3 in the mx2 class this year + all the other world titels and podiums they have?
It seems to me that the KTM piston and rings are lacking in quality and that's why you need to freshen up your motor so often.
He rides a ktm 85cc 2stroke, and im pretty sure your riding a 450 4stroke? There is a big difference.
Changing pistons and stuff on a 4stroke isnt needed as much as on a 2stroke.
And im pretty sure danke is a sponsored ktm rider since he were going to the socal(correct me if im wrong) to race.
And that could be one reason to why he puts new stuff in the engine pretty often. If you compare him to a slower amatuer that dont push the engine that much.

Edit: And just because ktm dont have any titels in US doesnt mean the bikes arent good.
Last edited by frederick on Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
DankeKTM21

Post by DankeKTM21 »

frederick wrote:How many ktms are riding the nationals compared to the world mx gp's where ktm got 1 2 and 3 in the mx2 class this year + all the other world titels and podiums they have?
It seems to me that the KTM piston and rings are lacking in quality and that's why you need to freshen up your motor so often.
He rides a ktm 85cc 2stroke, and im pretty sure your riding a 450 4stroke? There is a big difference.
Changing pistons and stuff on a 4stroke isnt needed as much as on a 2stroke.
And im pretty sure danke is a sponsored ktm rider since he were going to the socal(correct me if im wrong) to race.
And that could be one reason to why he puts new stuff in the engine pretty often. If you compare him to a slower amatuer that dont push the engine that much.
yeah, its an 85, very small motor, who is always pinned, not like as a 125, less 250, more less than a 450
Phathry25
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by Phathry25 »

That's not my point. My point is listing how often you perform certain maintenance tasks on your bike is irrelevant in judging the quality of it. I check my valves after every ride, does that mean my bike is reliable or not?
frederick
Team: Adept

Post by frederick »

Yeah, your right.