What bike you prefer? Poll

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.

What bike you prefer?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:40 am

Honda
37%
Suzuki
14%
Yamaha
15%
KTM
17%
Kawasaki
14%
Husaberg
No votes
Husqvarna
3%

Total votes: 71

lluks252

Re: What bike you prefer? Poll

Post by lluks252 »

Its all in how "you" ride, if you ride really high R's get a honda, if you ride in the mid range to top end get a Kawasaki, Suzuki, or Yamaha....they are all just a tad different...personally, I think Honda handles the best, then kawi, then yamaha, then suzuki
I don't know about KTM, b/c as someone else said they cost too much and parts are far and few between
I've only rode:
2003 YZ450F
2005 YZ450F
2007 YZ450F
2002 YZ250F
2002 YZ125
2004 CRF450R
2007 CRF450R (500 kit on it)
2006 CRF250R
2005 RM-Z 450
2006 RM 250
2005 KX250F
2007 KX450F
2003 KX250
2002 KX125
I've rode more but this list would be way tooo long
Rallemx

Post by Rallemx »

Why honda if you ride in the high R's? :D
JETZcorp
Team: Privateer

Post by JETZcorp »

On the matter of rider vs. bike it really depends on how different the bikes are. Nowadays, the technology of performance has become relatively stable where it is. Just look at the improvments that are being made year-to-year. Yamaha is talking big about their switch to a chain with gold color, and a pound taken off the front end to make it a "big improvment over previous years." Today, the rider really does make it all because the bike technology is largely the same with only minor improvments or variations. It's largely like biological evolution with the principle of punctuated equilibrium, where evolution will go very fast and then stop as it becomes ideally suited to its environment. The same thing is happening with bikes. Starting in the '60s the bikes evolved incredibly fast (when two-strokes took over at first, 70lbs was shed from the average bike) and that led to huge changes from year to year. It was wholly possible for one make or a couple makes to be so far ahead of their competition that the other factories would dissassemble their latest machine to see how they could've pulled it off (I won't mention whose bike was being dissassembled...) Starting in the early eighties, it hit a roadblock. There simply wasn't much further for it to go. Horsepower hasn't really increased, nor has weight gone down, the major changes have been refinements like syling and easier clutch pull and things like that.

Now, that's not to say that a major improvment doesn't occasionally come along. The new wrap-around frames (I think that's what their called) are truly a good idea and it's predicted that it's only a matter of time before we begin seeing traction control and the like as options for the racing bikes, but I think we can no longer get away with saying that one bike is objectively superior to another. It's all about balance and what the rider prefers, with just a slight lean in a different direction each year as the next little good idea rolls in.
Give me more power.
Give me more handling.
Give me more style.
Give me more Maico.
lluks252

Post by lluks252 »

Rallemx wrote:Why honda if you ride in the high R's? :D
because this is by far the best handling bike (not talking about the 09) and this bike has all the power in the high R's
Voutare

Post by Voutare »

05 CRF450 feels like a tank.

It literally plowed through my whoop section. :D
DankeKTM21
Team: Danke KTM

Post by DankeKTM21 »

look the ktm 2009, stock is faster than a full 2008

full pinned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gMItph2AGE
up hill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llurSsYxDgQ
Kawasakis wrote:Hah yeah, because basketball and football requires just one ball - two balls just only for motocross riders haha
Phathry25
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by Phathry25 »

I think you guys are all pretty far off point when saying you prefer a bike because it handles the best, or has the best power, because both of those are subjective, and are more defendant on rider preference than the actual quality of the bike. Were all the bikes you've ridden jetted properly, have the same type of pipe, suspension setup for you etc... To me that's not what makes the best bike.

Ease of maintenance is pretty high on my list of how I'd rate a bike. Having to check my valves after every race could potentially be a huge PITA is the bike I'm riding has something obstructing my access to the valves. I'll tell you one thing for sure, if you buy a KTM or Yamaha you're going to have a lot easier time getting at the motor, and or removing it. But look at how great changing the oil on a Honda works out w/ the separate tranny and engine oil. Yea it takes more work if you're changing both at once, but I only do that about once a month. I change my engine oil every ride, but the transmission side only every 3 races. Plus if I ever have a problem with my gears getting ground up I won't have to replace my crank because some metal flakes got in there and chewed it all to hell.

Another thing I would take into consideration is how easy is it to get parts, either OEM or aftermarket. TBH where I live a KTM would be a PITA to maintain. There's not a dealer within 3 hours of me. When I look at parts magazines I see about 1/2 the number of available parts for KTM's as I see for the Japanese bikes. Because of that I plain and simple wouldn't even consider buying a KTM.

Also you have to look at how well your local dealer is going to treat you. If you walk in and they have 1-2 dirt bikes in the place I'd suggest turning around and walking right out of there. There's no way they'll ever have anything you'll need in stock, and it will probably take them longer to get it than a shop that supports MX. If I didn't have a reliable dealer to get my Honda's from I'm sure I could easily be swayed to buying another brand by that fact alone. I might be alone on this one, and I don't really rely on my dealer to get me many parts, but when I need something in a hurry they'll always hook me up. :)

I look at how the manufacturer treats its customers too. Lets face it every now and again something is going to slip through the cracks and you run the chance of getting a lemon. You have to look around and see what manufacturer is going to treat you the best in case this happens to you. I've heard about tons of Yamaha Raptors breaking transmissions, but none of them being replaces by Yamaha. On the other hand when Honda released the 150r they kept breaking camshafts, and guess what? Honda paid to have all of them replaced.

These are the things I consider when saying that I would prefer a Honda over anything else. Not because it has the most trick parts, or handles the best, or makes the most power, but because the network supporting them is the best, and for me it is the most convenient to work on.
DankeKTM21

Post by DankeKTM21 »

how you gonna check valves of a 2 strokes? 8)
Kawasakis wrote:Hah yeah, because basketball and football requires just one ball - two balls just only for motocross riders haha
Phathry25
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by Phathry25 »

Congratulations on getting my post. Good work, your comprehension is top notch. Continue bragging about how much better KTM's are than any other motorcycle on the face of the earth. Ignorance truly is bliss.
Voutare

Post by Voutare »

He rides an 85. Which means he is ignorant to all things 4 stroke.

And, in the 65/85 world, the KTM does pretty much dominate. They are the only makers of competitive 65's, and 85's they are pretty damn good. He's just ignorant to big bikes because he doesn't ride them. He'll understand how it all works out once he gets on a big bike, and realizes that everything he did on the 85 doesn't work on the 250f.

Chances are, he's never even been on a 4t, considering the way he's been talking.
DankeKTM21

Post by DankeKTM21 »

Voutare wrote:He rides an 85. Which means he is ignorant to all things 4 stroke.

And, in the 65/85 world, the KTM does pretty much dominate. They are the only makers of competitive 65's, and 85's they are pretty damn good. He's just ignorant to big bikes because he doesn't ride them. He'll understand how it all works out once he gets on a big bike, and realizes that everything he did on the 85 doesn't work on the 250f.

Chances are, he's never even been on a 4t, considering the way he's been talking.
dont want to be big headed but just you annoy me, what are you talking about? did u know me? search me in web google if u dont know me (felipe danke) , did you know who is me really?

i race 85 nationals, 125 local races and 250f trainning
Imagen 011.jpg
(633.61 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
Imagen 013.jpg
(905.63 KiB) Downloaded 113 times

you looked? well after that i think i know whats a 4 stroke, maybe not much, but better than you, have u saw any open motor even? have u rided in a gp track ever? in a decent track, sorry guys, i hate to say that, hate as hell, just voutare annoy me, i am going to take pictures of my trophies to show you, sorry, i hate to be bigheaded, just he annoy me as I say before

i dont understand well what has wrothe phathry, as you know i dont speak english. sorry guys :|

take care with what you say, oh i forgoten 8) , i want to ride with you when i were in cali, see you :wink:

man, please arrepent or delete youre post, i hate start a big unnesessary discusion, please man.

oh i founded that too

i tooked the pic with my phone

there are some in the house, the others are in my workshop
JETZcorp

Post by JETZcorp »

I'm going to take this moment to point out that reliability and simplicity are very closely related. Saying a two-stroke has no valves to watch after is incorrect, there's still reed valves which do have the potential to get damaged and that can ruin your day; who knows if it'll even start if one of those things gets sucked in and crunched to powder in the engine. The same can be said for liquid cooling, which I'm sure is a lot easier to damage than a massive finned cylinder. Do not get me wrong on this, I'm not saying that all bikes that have these are bad (my Husky had reeds, as do all Huskies going back to '76 or something). I'm just saying, if your engine is just a big hunk of metal with a piston and some gears moving in it, there's a lot less room for crap to go wrong. I'm going to reluctantly bring up Maico again to say that every Maico ever made until 1983 (when they became M-Star) had chains in the engine. Now, this improved power and some say it improved handling (engine ran backwards, maybe did some gyro thing, this is arguable) but it was a whore for reliability. Every Maico test you ever read is probably going to contain some whining about how the chain is going to break and cut your leg off, and when run to the hilt, occasionally they did. And, for the record, this is not good. There, I said something bad about Maico.
Give me more power.
Give me more handling.
Give me more style.
Give me more Maico.
DankeKTM21

Post by DankeKTM21 »

sorry, we just call in spanish valves at 4 stroke
132.jpg
(98.64 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
in spanish we call at 2 strokes "flapers"
Voutare

Post by Voutare »

DankeKTM21 wrote:
Voutare wrote:He rides an 85. Which means he is ignorant to all things 4 stroke.

dont want to be big headed but just you annoy me, what are you talking about? did u know me? search me in web google if u dont know me (felipe danke) , did you know who is me really?

i race 85 nationals, 125 local races and 250f trainning

you looked? well after that i think i know whats a 4 stroke, maybe not much, but better than you, have u saw any open motor even? have u rided in a gp track ever? in a decent track, sorry guys, i hate to say that, hate as hell, just voutare annoy me, i am going to take pictures of my trophies to show you, sorry, i hate to be bigheaded, just he annoy me as I say before

i dont understand well what has wrothe phathry, as you know i dont speak english. sorry guys :|

take care with what you say, oh i forgoten 8) , i want to ride with you when i were in cali, see you :wink:

man, please arrepent or delete youre post, i hate start a big unnesessary discusion, please man.

oh i founded that too

i tooked the pic with my phone

there are some in the house, the others are in my workshop

Alright, sorry.

The only pictures I've seen of you are of you on your 85, so I thought you were the kid who was crazy about two strokes only because he isn't old enough to ride a 4. And I never said you weren't a good rider either. Just because I 'don't know you' doesn't mean that you can't be good on a 85. I give you credit for being a good rider, yeah, but still, being good doesn't mean being old.

And yeah, you always seem to jump on my back too about everything, so why don't you fucking lighten up too? (And re-do my Donington, since you think that it'll be so fucking great.)

And last but not least, I don't even live in California. Fuck the west coast.
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

East Side Fo-eva
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.