Bike Problems.

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
hughes
Team: Privateer

Bike Problems.

Post by hughes »

Okay I was wondering if any of you would see if you could help me solver a problem with my bike. I stopped riding at the beginning of the school year because my bike wouldn't run and my dad would never help me so today I went out and took the carburetor apart cleaned it out good with carb. and choke cleaner. I sprayed the inside jets, the float bowl, and the inside of the carb. but i'm still having the same problem. It will idle perfectly, but when i give it gas the revs drop way down and stalls the bike, and it wont start when the choke is on.
Any help? :roll:
SCHAFFERNOCKER
Team: blank

Re: Bike Problems.

Post by SCHAFFERNOCKER »

what kind of bike we talking about here? Have you checked your spark plug?
hughes

Post by hughes »

KX 125.
And yea, I can get it cranked every time just when I give it bags is bogs and shuts off.
McNeil Racing
Crushed Dissenter
Team: MXSP

Post by McNeil Racing »

possibly check your fuel lines and shit like that... sounds like when you get on the gas you're bike isnt getting enough gas into the motor/piston... just my 2cents who knows.
jlv wrote:I wonder how many hours of my life I'd have back if DeRoco had never noticed this game?
MXSP Race Team: Joe, Gideon67, Butler, McNeilLatest MXS Tutorials,MSI Episodes and Track Reviews
rideblue56
Team: FSK

Post by rideblue56 »

Take your jets out and blow them out with compressed air. Dont use any wire or anything though, as it can ruin the jet.

Sometimes carb cleaner just isnt enough to clean the jets out.
DK662

Post by DK662 »

You need 4 things to make a motor run.
1 Compression: bad top end?
2 spark: you have spark because it idle's, could be bad ignition or cdi though (unlikely)
3 fuel: maybee double check your carb, fuel lines and vent hoses(they clog with dirt all the time) Make sure the gas is fresh
4 Air: clean air filter.

Elinenate each component of the equation ONE at a time. 80% of the time its something very simple
My guess is if its NOT the carb, you have a bad piston.
SCHAFFERNOCKER
Team: blank

Post by SCHAFFERNOCKER »

I find it odd that it won't start with the choke. That's why I asked about your plug. You could be getting just the right amount of fuel at idol, but as you turn the choke on or give it more gas it could be fouling out the plug with too much fuel. On the vise-versa it could be too weak of a spark to fire all your fuel when your dumping in into the carb. What does the plug look like? Is it real white and burnt, or dark and rich?

Pop a new plug in there if you got it. Check your air filter again and make sure your gas is on. Hell, put fresh gas in there too. Old gas won't fire like new. I know I sound like a dad, but this stuff can slip past you when your trying to diagnose a problem. You may think its something major, when it might not be.

What Dk662 said, sounds like we were on the same page :)
hughes

Post by hughes »

Just got home. Got a new spark plug for my bike. I'm going to do everything y'all have listed and check the fuel lines and whatever. My dad was saying i'l have to run wire through the small holes on the side of the Main jet but as you said that could ruin it ima be safe and use compressed air. Thanks for all the tips guys! Let's hope it works.
jasper125

Post by jasper125 »

hughes wrote:Just got home. Got a new spark plug for my bike. I'm going to do everything y'all have listed and check the fuel lines and whatever. My dad was saying i'l have to run wire through the small holes on the side of the Main jet but as you said that could ruin it ima be safe and use compressed air. Thanks for all the tips guys! Let's hope it works.
Did you change you're jetting for winter (bigger main jet adjusted fuel mixture screw?) Does it smoke alot or does it smoke just a tiny bit? What color does you're sparkplug show black grey, is it wet or dry?
ShackAttack12

Post by ShackAttack12 »

I've never ruined a jet by cleaning them with a thin strand of copper wire.

When you say you sprayed inside the jets, carb, and float bowl, does that mean you took the carb apart? Just spraying the carb with "carb cleaner" is absolutely NOT the way to clean a carb. You really need to take the carb apart and soak it in a solvent to break up any particles that may be sticking inside the ports, and then you need to blow out all the ports with compressed air, as well as use thin copper wire to run through the ports to clean them out.

What you are describing is a classic VERY LEAN symptom, IE not enough fuel. Your ports are clogged (Pilot Jet), your floats were moved closer to shut disallowing enough fuel to get through, or there is a problem with the petcock on your gas tank (IE, check the vacuum line going to it).

Do the revs increase if you throttle up slowly instead of wacking the throttle?
ShackAttack12
| 2010 Supercross Champ | 2011 Supercross Champ | 2019 Supercross Champ |
shawn1331
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Entrepreneur

Post by shawn1331 »

Check your floats. They might be sticking and that can be bad, not a major problem but enough to bog your bike.
hughes

Post by hughes »

Got home yesterday and took out both jets in the carb. and sprayed inside the small hole with the air compressor and made sure all the small holes were open and I put it back together and it was running just like new. Thanks everyone for you advise.
DK662

Post by DK662 »

Glad to hear its working. Bike problems suck ass.
Just noticed my rear hub is cracked, i guesss no racing this weekend.
hughes

Post by hughes »

Agree'd. Now it's on to fixing my brothers bike. Haha, probably the same problem as mine though.
And dang sucks to hear.