Honda crf250 2007 axle blocks sheared - Please Help

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
Jacko #828
Team: Privateer

Honda crf250 2007 axle blocks sheared - Please Help

Post by Jacko #828 »

So today I was planning to change my rear tyre, undoing the bolt on the rear axle, but it was forever just turning, and not coming any looser, I then realised that the nut on the left side of the axle had worn away at the axle block so now it just moves freely and the axle block doesn't stop it from turning, proventing me from loosing the nut on the other side, as it just keeps turning around.

Here is a picture of it to show what I mean, you can see where the nut has worn away the axle block so it just now spins. Sorry for such a big image.

I was wondering if anyone knew of method so that I am able to get the rear axle out, because at the moment I don't know how I can get it out with that just spinning and not being stop by anything, i've tried using a flat ended screw driver and wedged it inbetween the nut and the axle block then tried to loosen the nut but it still just spins freely. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
BradyS21
Team: EuroTrashSilencer
Location: Working the corner to earn money to buy a new pipe because I don't know what my works pipe does :'(

Re: Honda crf250 2007 axle blocks sheared - Please Help

Post by BradyS21 »

:shock: WOW! have actually never seen that done before ahah
tyskorn wrote:WHOA WHOA WHOA. I apologize for Brady's language, everyone.
Jacko #828

Post by Jacko #828 »

Yeah me either, so pissed. Gonna buy some red zeta axle blocks but its just a case of getting this bastard axle out :?
SCHAFFERNOCKER
Team: blank

Post by SCHAFFERNOCKER »

I would first try taking a set of vise-grips, Clamp them inside the axle and on the end of the swingarm. If you have a strong enough pair, and grip to squeeze them tight :), it should be enough to hold the axle from spinning while you get your axle bolt off.

Use never seize next time, and a torque wrench. Most likely you had it wayyy to tight and it looks like your axle may have spun a few times with the wheel. Not good. O, and for a future tip, pull those chain adjuster bolts out and never sieze them so they wont rust into the swingarm. I have had this happen once, forcing me to drill it out which turned into a huge pain in the ass.
cpt_Slow

Post by cpt_Slow »

Started happening to me once when I tried to get just a bit too much life out of my chain and so had the axle blocks too far back. As Schaffernocker suggests, some type of grips on the end should just about get it. If not maybe try wedging something in between the axle and the block and try and shock the nut off using either an impact driver if you have one or a good old hammer and socket. :wink:
Jacko #828

Post by Jacko #828 »

So put the vice grip on the axle on the right side, where the bolt it? Is that what you mean, if so will give it a go. Thanks for the reply guys :P
Jacko #828

Post by Jacko #828 »

Oh wait, I get waht you mean, so put the vice grips on the end of the swingarm, to push everything together? So it's tight?
SCHAFFERNOCKER
Team: blank

Post by SCHAFFERNOCKER »

Yes, put the vise-grips on the open end of the axle (opposite side of nut). If you put one side of the jaw INSIDE the hole through your axle, and the other on the outside end of the swingarm. This should hold the axle from spinning when you try to turn the nut.
joe_389
Team: Collective Family

Post by joe_389 »

Worst comes to worst put a tack of weld between the axle and axle bolt, should be easy to get undone, then if you can break the weld cleanly you might get away with a usable axle... thats worst comes to worst remember ;) good luck haha.
The Family:Lane 199-Alex 526-Dylan 14-Daniel 421-Brady 21 AUS
Jacko #828

Post by Jacko #828 »

Little update, Yeah it's not moving, so dad is gonna grind the ridge of on the axle blocks to then we can clamp the flat ends on the axle to untighten it, thanks for the comments though guys :)
ShackAttack12

Post by ShackAttack12 »

Or, just put vice grips on the side pictured, and use an impact gun with the correct socket for the other side.
ShackAttack12
| 2010 Supercross Champ | 2011 Supercross Champ | 2019 Supercross Champ |
BuddyTheElf

Post by BuddyTheElf »

Surely you must have installed the axle incorrectly the last time you changed the wheel for that to happen. I cant see how that would have happened otherwise. :?
motoxlova#1
Team: Free lancer

Post by motoxlova#1 »

This happened to me before. It sucks ass, because not only do you have to buy new blocks, you have to buy a new axle bolt(Check to see if the bolt still works after you get it off). What causes this is the nut actually cross-threading, so it won't come off easily.
Anyway, on how to get this thing out..

You need to put vice grips on the side without the nut. Then heat the nut with a propane heater. Then, use an impact gun to get the nut off. You don't have to use an impact gun, but it is highly recommended.