The Other Racing Games Topic

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Re: The Other Racing Games Topic

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

You saved my bladder and the race at the same time. That was definitely a cathartic, therapeutic experience to allow our eternal bond to be fully cemented. :wink:
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
TeamHavocRacing

Anyone else trying the DX11 Beta for rFactor 2? Right-click/properties on rFactor 2 in your Steam library. Go to the Betas tab and check the drag n drop for the DX11/VR beta at the bottom. Then it's a 900 mb download to switch. You can revert back.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
Phathry25
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by Phathry25 »

Been on it since the start. It's an improvement, but it's still not on part with its competition. They're lucky the driving model is so good.

Jumped into an iRacing skippy practice on a whim this week, was fastest thought I'd try racing it because it was fun to drive. Next day tried a race, found out I was a second off pace. Usually I can pick up where I'm losing time during the race so I wasn't worried. Got ran over by a dive bomber into turn one on lap three, not much time to pickup my pace. Screw it, tried the next one too,that second was eating at me. Battled my way up from an asolutely terrible qualifying lap to 6th, never figured out where I was losing that second though, those guys checked out early. Ran out of gas on the back stretch on the last lap, just straightlined the final chicane up and over the hill and rolled home for 10th, I don't even think I was the last car on track. Called it a night, went to watch TV and go to bed.

But that second was still eating at me. Finished an episode of the Americans and went back to my rig to find that time. Ran a test session,14 laps, tried a few things I saw during my races, no gains. Now I was really bothered. Fired up VRS, saw their lap was a 1:34.7, holy shit I was getting low 1:36s and saw low 1:35s in the races. Okay. Let's look at this. Watched their video. Try again. 14 laps with telemetry on. Only marginal improvements, got a lucky 1/2 second. Usually around 3 tenths gained. Compared telemetry in VRS, okay more obvious where I'm losing the time, back to the game again. 1:34.9 on a lap when I missed T1 by a good 10 feet. 8)

Anyways, I shared all this because I am excited to try my hand at racing again tonight. Anyone care to join me? I know all the secrets to going around quickly now.
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

I should probably do a race since I haven't in probably close to 2 years now :lol:.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
TeamHavocRacing

Dmills, Hoffman (driving) and I during one of the hundreds of laps run that day at LeMans.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Phathry25 wrote:Been on it since the start. It's an improvement, but it's still not on part with its competition. They're lucky the driving model is so good.

Jumped into an iRacing skippy practice on a whim this week, was fastest thought I'd try racing it because it was fun to drive. Next day tried a race, found out I was a second off pace. Usually I can pick up where I'm losing time during the race so I wasn't worried. Got ran over by a dive bomber into turn one on lap three, not much time to pickup my pace. Screw it, tried the next one too,that second was eating at me. Battled my way up from an asolutely terrible qualifying lap to 6th, never figured out where I was losing that second though, those guys checked out early. Ran out of gas on the back stretch on the last lap, just straightlined the final chicane up and over the hill and rolled home for 10th, I don't even think I was the last car on track. Called it a night, went to watch TV and go to bed.

But that second was still eating at me. Finished an episode of the Americans and went back to my rig to find that time. Ran a test session,14 laps, tried a few things I saw during my races, no gains. Now I was really bothered. Fired up VRS, saw their lap was a 1:34.7, holy shit I was getting low 1:36s and saw low 1:35s in the races. Okay. Let's look at this. Watched their video. Try again. 14 laps with telemetry on. Only marginal improvements, got a lucky 1/2 second. Usually around 3 tenths gained. Compared telemetry in VRS, okay more obvious where I'm losing the time, back to the game again. 1:34.9 on a lap when I missed T1 by a good 10 feet. 8)

Anyways, I shared all this because I am excited to try my hand at racing again tonight. Anyone care to join me? I know all the secrets to going around quickly now.
So proud of you Phat.
My photography work
www.mikeowenphotographer.com
Phathry25
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by Phathry25 »

Mikey wrote:
Phathry25 wrote:Been on it since the start. It's an improvement, but it's still not on part with its competition. They're lucky the driving model is so good.

So proud of you Phat.
Thanks! That makes two of us.

Only ran one race last night, it went better, but I'm still terrible through the final chicane. And I was pussyfooting a little bit. Need to get used to that intensity again. The racing has been good and clean, although it's not like I am running the SOF splits.
TeamHavocRacing

You were killing it at LeMans, I want to see the fully recovered Phat then. I'm embarrased by my effort, but it gave me the A in road lol.
TeamHavocRacing

Lovin' the GTX 1060 6Gb...
scheeve3

Post by scheeve3 »

I'm having a week off soon and wanna give iRacing a try. But I have a question. How does the ranking system works? Is it somehow comparable to cs go? But instead of making a lobby or pressing the queue button, you get a list of servers which allows your rank and you do the practice/Qualifying/race? So you can do some "competitive" racing anytime?
Or leave mid qualifying if dinners ready :lol: .

I play some automobilista and I like the game a lot. But most of those competitions don't suit me time wise. So basically I'm just joining any server with ppl on and hope someone's in for a race... Usually half of the server leaves after practice or vote to restart the free practice... So they can start hunting again.
Frederik Van Eeckhoven - UID 326
1st Team @ MXSON 2009 & 2nd individual (125cc)
2012 DRT-Sandseries winner (MX1)
2012 DRT-spring SX series winner (OPEN)
2012 BMF-Friday night series winner (MX1)
02RR02
Team: JNR Motorsports

Post by 02RR02 »

scheeve3 wrote:I'm having a week off soon and wanna give iRacing a try. But I have a question. How does the ranking system works? Is it somehow comparable to cs go? But instead of making a lobby or pressing the queue button, you get a list of servers which allows your rank and you do the practice/Qualifying/race? So you can do some "competitive" racing anytime?
There are two "point systems" in iRacing. One, the iRating, kind of measures you skill. Higher means better. You can get (and lose) these point when competing in an official race. (Everyone in the race puts a percentage of his points in a "pool", which points are rewarded according to the finish position. Generally this means that the top half of the field gets points, the bottom half loses points. winner wins most, last loses most). This iRating does not matter for your license level - which regulates which cars you can drive. It only has an effect when there are more then the maximum number of drivers for a race - then the race is split, and drivers are grouped by iRating.

The races are set to specific time period. For instance the rookie races are set to run on each hour. If you fail to register for THAT race, you`ll have to wait for the next hour. Some series higher up has every two hour, but has different time.

Practice session can be done anytime since there are atleast 5 servers up for atleast two hours. Qualifying is included in the race session (Unless you`re racing on longer tracks).
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Really wish I took my wheel with me to my new place. Dieing to do some F1, Indy and WEC shit again.
My photography work
www.mikeowenphotographer.com
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

Rookie move, Mikey.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
scheeve3

Post by scheeve3 »

02RR02 wrote:
scheeve3 wrote:I'm having a week off soon and wanna give iRacing a try. But I have a question. How does the ranking system works? Is it somehow comparable to cs go? But instead of making a lobby or pressing the queue button, you get a list of servers which allows your rank and you do the practice/Qualifying/race? So you can do some "competitive" racing anytime?
There are two "point systems" in iRacing. One, the iRating, kind of measures you skill. Higher means better. You can get (and lose) these point when competing in an official race. (Everyone in the race puts a percentage of his points in a "pool", which points are rewarded according to the finish position. Generally this means that the top half of the field gets points, the bottom half loses points. winner wins most, last loses most). This iRating does not matter for your license level - which regulates which cars you can drive. It only has an effect when there are more then the maximum number of drivers for a race - then the race is split, and drivers are grouped by iRating.

The races are set to specific time period. For instance the rookie races are set to run on each hour. If you fail to register for THAT race, you`ll have to wait for the next hour. Some series higher up has every two hour, but has different time.

Practice session can be done anytime since there are atleast 5 servers up for atleast two hours. Qualifying is included in the race session (Unless you`re racing on longer tracks).
Thank you!! 1 race an hour really sounds interesting :-) Definitely gonna give it a shot!
Frederik Van Eeckhoven - UID 326
1st Team @ MXSON 2009 & 2nd individual (125cc)
2012 DRT-Sandseries winner (MX1)
2012 DRT-spring SX series winner (OPEN)
2012 BMF-Friday night series winner (MX1)
Sandhapper
Team: MotoRAD

Post by Sandhapper »

Could you guys help me out? I'm trying to get into sim racing.

I'm doubting a LOT. If I'll buy a wheel I want to go for a good one, so I won't have to upgrade next year. I also want a game which won't cost too much but still has an active community and great physics.

I was thinking about buying the Thrustmaster t300 GT edition (includes the t3pa pedals) for around $350. For the sim, I'm thinking about rFactor 2, but everything about that seems extremely outdated except for it's physics.

Iracing isn't an option at the moment. I'm not willing to pay every year / 2 years to play.

Does anyone have oppinions and tips & tricks for a beginner?
2013 EMF outdoors 2nd place overall
2013 MxSCentral outdoors 2nd place overall
2012 EMF outdoors 2nd overall
2012 SMA sx 2nd overall
2011 SMA outdoors champion