125 or 250f?

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
Blitz
Team: Privateer

125 or 250f?

Post by Blitz »

Hey guys, ive been researching for a while now as to what bike to get next and to be honest im so stuck. I am currently on an 08 CRF150R and have come down to my next bike being either the 09 KTM125sx or the 09 Kx250f.

Theres a few things i need to know and im sure some of you could help..
Bike purposes, what would each bike suit better? I race, but no i am not super competitive and im not out there just to try and absolutley dominate. Im out there to enjoy it, and improve.
Im 15, and not tall. By that i mean yeah i can fit them (the ktm only just), but the ktm may sit a little high for me to ride effectively on. But in saying that, im obv gonna grow. But for now, would lowering the suspension have an effect on the suspension in the long run?

Also, I want a bike that:
I will have fun on.
I will improve on.
Will be cheaper to maintain etc.
I can go fast on, obv.
Is reliable.

Any advice would be great, im stuck and i just cant make a decision. Theres so many factors that give both bikes the upper hand, but none that give any of them a signifcant upper hand.
I understand that many people will be thinking "test ride them and decide". Thats hard where i live for many reasons.

Anyway, what do you all think?
Thanks guys.
Last edited by Blitz on Tue May 05, 2009 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
gordy

Re: 125 or 250f?

Post by gordy »

Blitz wrote: Also, I want a bike that:
I will have fun on.
I will improve on.
sounds like a 2 stroke to me.

EDIT: just to extend on what i said, if youre looking for a bike that will benefit your riding skills in the long term, a 2 stroke is definately the way to go. Keeping a 125 on the pipe and going fast requires a fair amount more control over the clutch and gears than on a 250f, and if you can go fast on a 2 stroke and then hop onto a 4 stroke, you will be shredding.
as for the fun factor, holding a 125 wide open everywhere around a track is an experience so fun that it cant be put into words.
Although, if its just outright speed and power that you want, a 250f will dominate a 125
Last edited by gordy on Tue May 05, 2009 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
instupitious.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

To be honest i was being slightly biast when i wrote that, ill add a few things.

EDIT: Ok i added one thing, all i could think of. lol.

Thanks for the reply Gordy.
nickmx

Post by nickmx »

well for price wise i dont think you should get the ktm. lowering the suspension not really going to do much depending how much you lower it you might have to stiffen it up
DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy »

Well where I am the KTM was only about $100 more expensive than the 09 yz125 that I was looking at. I ended up going with the KTM and I definately love it. It's quite easy to maintain.
The KTM does ride a bit higher than the other 125's though.
nickmx

Post by nickmx »

they probably setup for david knite hight lol
PINNEDTOWIN
Team: Start Your Systems

Post by PINNEDTOWIN »

Ok, If you have to choose between those two bikes the bike that will be the most fun is the kx250f.

I know you want reliability as well and since you are not concerned with being overly competitive then you could put some kibblewhite stainless steel valves in the kx250f. You lose some rev with this but its almost impossible to notice. I put these valves in my 07 kx250f and the bike ran great through an entire year of enduros/cross countries probably about 100-120 hours or more on the motor without any problems.(Im an A rider so i was definately pushing the bike every race)

I am not saying 250f's are the best but if i were to choose a 125 i would go with a YZ not a KTM...No way i will ever ride a PDS shock again. FUCK THAT!

Pretty Dumb Shock

=P

Keep The Motor

KeepsTorchering Me

Kick Twenty Minutes

k im done :D
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

KostTtooMuch
Thats easilly the best :D

Blitz its all up to you man, it really depends on how you ride, you had a 150 though so you would deff be suited to a 250f though.
My photography work
www.mikeowenphotographer.com
MXONLINE_GEICO

Post by MXONLINE_GEICO »

i think 250 is more easy to do but with 125 u have a LOT of fun
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

I will have fun on.
Well you'll have fun on both. I know a lot of people who have went from 250f/450fs back to 125's because they think the 125s are more fun to ride. But a lot of those people have ridden for as long as you are alive or longer, so they are in a little different boat then you. You'll have fun on either.
I will improve on.
You will build skills much better on a 125 where you will have to learn corner speed and clutch control. Corner speed is everything.
Maintainence is easier and cheaper on a 125 I'd guess
I can go fast on, obv.
You'll go faster on a 250f I'd think. They are easier to ride.
Is reliable.
Both will probably be reliable. The edge goes to the 125 I'd say, given the fact that when/if something major in the engine goes wrong, it'll be way cheaper and easier to fix. I can't really give an educated on which bikes other parts (suspension etc) are more reliable.

I am in a much different boat then you, and I'm taller then David Knight, but I think my next bike will probably be a KTM 150 or 200, if that means anything.
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.
enzopersson

Post by enzopersson »

Haha we got a pretty good one in sweden.

K- Kuta
T-Till
M-Mål.

it means run to the finnish in swedish, couse before they always broke.
frederick
Team: Adept

Post by frederick »

Most bikes are good, you just have to maintain them well.
If its a shitty bike, then you Can almost treat it like shit, it wont break. (speaking of old mopeds and stuff)
If its a bike of gold, treat it as your supposed to treat gold. Dont buy a "good" bike and say "Eh, changing filters every 10th hour must do. This bike is already good and has alot of hightech stuff stock." Thats when they break.
markm32

Post by markm32 »

I would say it depends on your style of riding and how you compete. The 250 is of course faster and with more power, but depending on how and what you ride, that could be the opposite of what you want. Id say that in terms of repairing and maintaining the 2 stroke is cheaper. But if you already ride a 4stroke, you will be very uncomfortable at first with your switch to a 2 stroke.

The way I progressed was from 125 to 250f, then back to a 2 stroke when i jumped classes. The 4 stroke lets you ride lazy and relaxed. Where as the 2 stroke makes you stay on top of everything. You have shift more, clutch more, be in the power more. Its a lot more work riding a 2 stroke.

However, the reason I went to a 2 stroke before getting a 450 was this. Going fast is easy. Controlling it and knowing when to go fast is the hard part. If you can go fast and control it on a 2 stroke, riding a 4 stroke is like being on a holiday.

That my $.02 Hope it helps.
Voutare

Post by Voutare »

Just throwing this out there, but KTM is my initials.
lluks252

Post by lluks252 »

A 125 is a blast, like gordy said, there is just something about railing a 125 all the way around the track, the sound of the 2 stroke just screamin' at you. A 125 will be cheaper to maintain, but you have to maintain it...I learned this from my 1st 2 stroke, I didn't maintain and the powervalve fell threw and the piston just mashed it to death (I was like 10 mins away, all up hill towards home no phone, wasn't going to push it home) anyways, costing me $1,000, whole new sleeve, new piston, new powervalve assembly ($500). I know a 250f will cost alot more to fix...get a 125 and just rip it up and maintain it
KTM=Kmart Trash Machine :lol: