My 2013 replica Ryan Villopoto 1/4 scale rc dirt bike

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
JohnnyMac
Team: Privateer

My 2013 replica Ryan Villopoto 1/4 scale rc dirt bike

Post by JohnnyMac »

Photos first, then some details below...

Here are some more photos of the bike on my website http://www.rcdirtbikeaction.com/776/rya ... completed/

Took me about 2 months on and off to get this done. Its done on my Atomik MM450 1/4 scale rc dirt bike you can find at http://www.atomik-rc.com/Metal-Mulisha- ... gory=76745. Replica is based on RV from Anaheim 1 this season so I picked the Thor Phase Coil gear because I liked it. Of course that gear has a crazy design so that was a pain in the arse. Rider is painted freehand along with some basic stencils for letters to get them lined up/correct shape. I also applied a mirror lense to his goggles using mirror tint on some lexan. For the bike I just took a clear body and painted the basic colors underneath and did full graphics (using gimp) on outside.

The bike itself includes 2 esc's and 2 motors, one set is the 550 can motor for throttle and the other set is an outrunner style motor inside the rear wheel spinning a flywheel, which is called an electric gyro or e-gyro for short. Older bikes used to have gears in the back wheel, which would spin the flywheel when the bike moves. The e-gyro is always on and so stability is amazing. This will allow for racing to take off eventually as people wake up.

I got really into this hobby about 2 years ago and there was nothing on the internet for websites dedicated to rc dirt bikes. So I made my own and will take the hobby to the next level myself! Let me know what you think.
http://www.rcdirtbikeaction.com
http://www.facebook.com/RCDirtBikeAction
http://www.youtube.com/user/RCDirtBikeAction
FnF_greg

Re: My 2013 replica Ryan Villopoto 1/4 scale rc dirt bike

Post by FnF_greg »

Thats really awesome!
I remember long ago i used to have an Mc Grath Replica like this one: http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attac ... 1258935453
Good to see you guys do some awesome things like this, keep it up!!
JohnnyMac

Post by JohnnyMac »

Thanks Greg. I know about that bike you linked to but its long before I got into the hobby. Glad the toy looking bikes are gone lol. ;)
KTM880

Post by KTM880 »

Which bike do you recommend out of the ones listed on the site?
MX181 wrote:one of them bop it toys from when I was a child that taught young girls how not to give a hand job?
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

I remember you JohnnyMac! Loving detail on the bike. Can you shift the rider back and forth? Looks too good to take out in the dirt.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
JohnnyMac

Post by JohnnyMac »

Hi Havoc glad you still remember me. Glad your still hangin tuff in the game lol. Im mostly trolling the 19800 because I got sick of trying to figure out my shock setup lol. I remember fun racing with you. The rider has a bolt that runs from underneath the body into his bum hole to secure him. Some guys take that bolt off for some pretty funny stuff. The danger is the rider is foam so in a wild crash his arms will rip off. If you have the time watch all the way thru this video, there are some sweet slow motion parts half way in (not my video) [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQAJcEGubiE[/youtube]

@ktm880 Well the crappy thing if you live in Australia is that there are no distributors over there, so not only will you get hit with shipping delays but shipping fees will cost more buying from the US. Of current bikes I would recommend the Atomik MM450. Customer service is great so if you have issues they help out. Bike needs some tweaking, but thats the story with all of them. For example, bike has a rear fender bar but needs a wheelie bar so thats a mod a lot of us are making, mine has the optional front brake and then I replaced the stock rear shock with a 16mm big bore shock I got off ebay so that is like going from stock suspension to team pro circuit if you know what I mean. Other parts like better chain adjusters are recommened. Wear and tear of bike and how you treat it could result in some parts to keep handy as spares like rear axles. Atomik used to sell a rtr version with a 2s battery, little charger, and radio. However, they are now only selling the ARTR (almost rtr) instead which is bike only which is like $50 less. So this version is for people who already have rc, so you would need to already have a 3ch radio, 2s batteries (only), and charger. On atomik's website the ARTR is having some improvements to the gyro to have a better balanced flywheel and some tweaks to the motor spinning it, so its going to be back in stock within a month or so.
JohnnyMac

Post by JohnnyMac »

try posting that video again...
raul_mx14

Post by raul_mx14 »

i wanna see you JohnnyMac riding and jumping with The number 1 Villopoto haha make a video for us :lol: it'd be funny
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

After your post Johnny, I watched some of the YouTube vids to see how far they've come. I got a chuckle when some of the action reminded me of Team America, like when they have the chase scene in the desert in the Jeep. Still seems like the scale should be bigger for the action to look the same. It's cool how they recover so well from falling over, you don't have to walk over to it so often.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
JohnnyMac

Post by JohnnyMac »

raul_mx14 wrote:i wanna see you JohnnyMac riding and jumping with The number 1 Villopoto haha make a video for us :lol: it'd be funny
Thats the plan!

@Havoc - lol at team america. Yeah the old bikes like the Ricky bike from radioshack or the Jeremy McGrath were good to start the hobby off, but compared to my Atomik mm450 its like comparing a modern race bike to something from 1980. Still plenty room for improvements though.