MXS Twitter

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Re: MXS Twitter

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

Every time I try to retro-game, I learn more reasons to not. It's always a matter of the joy bubble being popped as soon as I see the graphics and crappy gameplay. You kids haven't struggled for years to get to this point of gaming goodness, you were born into it. No historical perspective. I found a great timeline and progression example of what I've lived through over the years of wanting better gaming.....

P.S. Somehow, playing coin-op games won't produce the same effect.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

I was nuts at MX vs ATV with REV physics. I remember hosting series and there would usually only be 3-4 of us who would race (the game was dead, everyone was switching to MX Sim and I didn't want to yet), so it would be me, 137 (Kyle Watts), Awood (Yes, the A Wood), and JGR. I remember smoking everyone so bad I would purposely lose so people would want to still show up :lol: I also remember doing someone elses series (if I remember correctly it was Jay Andrew but I could be wrong) and he perma-banned me because he accused me of using hacked physics (I wasn't), and thats why I ended up hosting my own series :oops:
MOTOZ293
Team: Hog Heaven Racing

Post by MOTOZ293 »

Ddavis wrote:I remember smoking everyone so bad
Yeah i smoked the AI but 2min+ every race
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

I found glitches in the REV physics, everyone who used them knows what they were like, bike felt heavy and if you cased anything you crashed. I just figured out ways to do rhythm sections others couldn't jump.

On The Pipe
Team: Factory Suzuki

Post by On The Pipe »

I remember playing MCM2 online and there was a cheat if you had windows mediaplayer up it gave you a speed boost some how. Most of the fast guys knew you were using it. They would all be on 500's and 600's bikes yet you were keeping up on a 250 2 stroke. Fun times I miss playing that game online.
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

Yeah, difference is I just figured out a way to lean forward at the right time and it would accelerate much quicker. It didn't require any outside sources or programs like you're referring to :p
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

For MCM2, it's funny the recorder on MDx would monitor if you had the media player open or not, it'd be a separate field on your time.

Davis, those sounds and the song in that last video bring me back.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

TeamHavocRacing wrote:Every time I try to retro-game, I learn more reasons to not. It's always a matter of the joy bubble being popped as soon as I see the graphics and crappy gameplay. You kids haven't struggled for years to get to this point of gaming goodness, you were born into it. No historical perspective. I found a great timeline and progression example of what I've lived through over the years of wanting better gaming.....

P.S. Somehow, playing coin-op games won't produce the same effect.
Which old games disappointed you? The only games that look bad in hindsight to me are the brainless arcade shooters and maybe the early 3d games that look like slideshows by modern standards. I was watching a video of Arcticfox the other day and was surprised at how slow it was. Couldn't have been more than 10 FPS. Made me think about the possibility that on an Amiga it would have been much faster for 3d polygon games to render to a copper list instead of a bitmap.

Anyway, I think the millennials have missed out by not experiencing the old games as they happened. Stuff like Zork holds up just fine today and if I had modern games to play I'd have never given it a chance. Wouldn't want to give up the thrill of playing Doom for the first time either.

What I don't miss is going to libraries hunting for information on graphics and physics that I could instantly find on the internet now. I don't think people realize how scarce information was back then. The millennials have us beat there.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
TeamHavocRacing

jlv wrote:Which old games disappointed you?
It's not necessarily the games as it is the CGA/EGA and even VGA graphics. Hell, I have conflicts just going back to Battlefield 3. I think the majority of what I played was action and sims. The fantasy and RPG genres didn't grab me, except Police Quest. My bro-in-law taught me DOS on his 386 SX 25, sold me his Amiga 500 for $900 and he was playing all of those types of games. Ultima, Kings Quest etc. bored me. I'm too ADD to sit still and engage in turn-based gameplay or resource building, so Greg Norman's Great White Golf, F-16 Combat Pilot, F/A-18 Hornet, Mario Andretti's Racing Challenge, Chuck Yeager's Air Combat and the like were my faves. On the Amiga I was enthralled by Stunt Car Racer(one retro I can tolerate). Amiga Format cover disks were awesome and I also got to do some pre-internet BBS perusing after most had suspended the U/L-D/L ratio. 45 minutes to download a 1 meg file on my 2400 baud modem. LoLz.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

Ddavis wrote:A poster I'm making to add to my portfolio in class. Hows it look? It doesn't need to be perfect, just needs to include the basics like bullet texts and images and shit like that.

Finished it up, had to use a program to make the final I haven't opened in a year so a bit rusty at it

TeamHavocRacing

Dude, that's way straighter(way more straighter?). Good job.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

TeamHavocRacing wrote:It's not necessarily the games as it is the CGA/EGA and even VGA graphics. Hell, I have conflicts just going back to Battlefield 3. I think the majority of what I played was action and sims. The fantasy and RPG genres didn't grab me, except Police Quest. My bro-in-law taught me DOS on his 386 SX 25, sold me his Amiga 500 for $900 and he was playing all of those types of games. Ultima, Kings Quest etc. bored me. I'm too ADD to sit still and engage in turn-based gameplay or resource building, so Greg Norman's Great White Golf, F-16 Combat Pilot, F/A-18 Hornet, Mario Andretti's Racing Challenge, Chuck Yeager's Air Combat and the like were my faves. On the Amiga I was enthralled by Stunt Car Racer(one retro I can tolerate). Amiga Format cover disks were awesome and I also got to do some pre-internet BBS perusing after most had suspended the U/L-D/L ratio. 45 minutes to download a 1 meg file on my 2400 baud modem. LoLz.
True. For a simulator fan retro really has nothing for you. The newer stuff is better in every possible way. The main appeal for old games is that they aren't dumbed down to the point where everyone in the focus group can win. Not an issue with simulators.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

This is so fucking dangerous, squids wide open through hallways at school. This isn't even cool :|

DISCLAIMER: This was just on my "recommended" feed, I don't watch this guys Youtube channel.
TeamHavocRacing

This is an older clip, but we've all dreamed of doing this.
TeamHavocRacing

sorry, wrong clip