2014 AMA Supercross Discussion

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
Boblob801
Team: <3 Andy

Re: 2014 AMA Supercross Discussion

Post by Boblob801 »

KTM57 wrote:I believe you (I have it in my head that you're an engineer of some sort. Is that correct?), but I don't understand why a change in direction has anything to do with the price of tea in China when the only substantial force on the system acts straight downward.
It has something to do with resultant forces and deflection. Like skimming a stone on water.
Hi
SMR 510RR
Team: Privateer

Post by SMR 510RR »

Boblob801 wrote:
KTM57 wrote:I believe you (I have it in my head that you're an engineer of some sort. Is that correct?), but I don't understand why a change in direction has anything to do with the price of tea in China when the only substantial force on the system acts straight downward.
It has something to do with resultant forces and deflection. Like skimming a stone on water.
Not exactly related but it does illustrate the concept I guess. Water has a bit on surface tension on it, it does not want to break apart and let something into it but only a small amount of force is required to break the tension. If you drop a stone straight down the surface tension is overpowered and the stone goes to the bottom. Now if you throw it almost parallel then there is less force needed to change the stones direction (see the relationship?) and the surface tension is not overpowered (enough to let the stone go under at least).

Newtons first law is the major one here. An object in motion will stay in motion unless an outside force is applied to it. So, if JS7 jumped that same jump and it was on the edge of the world he would continue going at the same angle unless a force changed his path. Of course there is gravity so at some point he would end up going straight down but focus on the ground. The ground is the outside force. His inertia is moving forward and down and for the sake of argument he is going at a perfect 45 degree angle so he is going forward at the exact same speed as he is going down. Now the ground has to change that direction into forward only movement, but 1/2 of it is already going forward so less force from the ground is required to redirect only 1/2 of his inertia (I doubt it is linear but it doesn't really matter). The relationship between the forward and downward movement depends how much force the ground has to apply to change his direction, if he is only going forward the ground does nothing if he is going straight up and down the ground does everything.

And no not an engineer haha, I design the houses and let someone else figure out how to keep them from falling down haha. I did take a year of physics in HS though and as boblob always says I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Back on topic though, I think Barcia was faster but not quite fast enough to get around Stewart without a borderline sketchy block pass. He should have waited a lap if he needed to and gotten a little closer and the whole incident could have been avoided. If you look at it Malcolm was still turning and was on his way down the berm (just slightly) and Barcia comes in like a bat out of hell and is still going up the berm and his rear tire gets Malcolms front. I really dont think Malcolm had a chance to check or stand the bike up. Yea Malcolm should have let him get going to be the bigger man I guess but he did just get taken out by the guy. I am not going to do any favors for the guy that cuts me off on the way to work.

LinkinMark1987
Crushed Dissenter

Post by LinkinMark1987 »

I think Malcolm needs to stop crying..

BSM70
Team: MotoPlayground

Post by BSM70 »

LinkinMark1987 wrote:I think Malcolm needs to stop crying..

Haha #2 " Malcolm that was a bad choice"
BuddyTheElf

Post by BuddyTheElf »

LinkinMark1987 wrote:I think Malcolm needs to stop crying..

[youtube]snip

[youtube]snip

[youtube]snip
The incident with Anderson was Andersons fault/a racing incident, it certainly wasn't a takeout. He cut over in the air and left Malcolm with no room to stop and turn. The Bogle one was pretty bad but the Barcia one was just Malcolm giving him a taste of his own medicine.

I'm pretty sure Malcolm isn't crying about anything, though. If anyone should be crying it's Barcia, he's the one that threw away a bunch of championship points.

I like Barcia and his agressive riding but when it really comes down to it, Barcia is a pussy.

BSM70

Post by BSM70 »

BuddyTheElf wrote:Barcia is a pussy
Umm.... How did you come to that conclusion? If anyone is its Malcolm.
BuddyTheElf

Post by BuddyTheElf »

Watch the video, Barcia acted like a hardman until Aranda confronted him and then Barcia ran away with his tail between his legs. If you're going to wait an entire lap in one spot to block someone and give them shit you'd better have something to back it up with instead of running away.
honda boy 326
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Not even mad JLV.

Post by honda boy 326 »

dylan22 wrote:Honda Boy is straight up retarded, Malcolm is going to drop Barcia so hard. I cant wait.
Alright there guy
BEST PLACE ON EARTH? Matt James: Out of Vanderlees blast zone
WORST PLACE ON EARTH? Matt James: In his blast zone
Fro wrote:Morin is right.
T-RIDER wrote:i turned my bars this weekend... shit myself and turned em back staight away.
mclaud11

Post by mclaud11 »

I can't believe people believe barcia would take Malcolm! Sure maybe barcia may have some riding tricks up his sleeve but Malcolm is a big motherfucker that would take some serious impact to knock over haha! I hope barcia tries to take him out cause Malcolm will either plow him off the track in the next turn or pick him up by hand and toss him off the track
bob117

Post by bob117 »

BSM70 wrote:Omg in the outdoors I would like to see Malcolm even attempting to race with Barcia. Malcolm is no were near Barcia in outdoors. Don't know what the hell he was talking about. The only time they c each other is A.)on the line B.) when Barcia comes around lapping him.
im pretty sure you are the dumbest person on this forum, and every time you post just makes me more sure of that. if Malcolm is nowhere near barica in outdoors, then how did he catch him at utah and punt his ass? you clearly have no idea wtf your talking about, and just have a hard on for bambam.
KTM57

Post by KTM57 »

SMR 510RR wrote:Newtons first law is the major one here. An object in motion will stay in motion unless an outside force is applied to it. So, if JS7 jumped that same jump and it was on the edge of the world he would continue going at the same angle unless a force changed his path. Of course there is gravity so at some point he would end up going straight down but focus on the ground. The ground is the outside force. His inertia is moving forward and down and for the sake of argument he is going at a perfect 45 degree angle so he is going forward at the exact same speed as he is going down. Now the ground has to change that direction into forward only movement, but 1/2 of it is already going forward so less force from the ground is required to redirect only 1/2 of his inertia (I doubt it is linear but it doesn't really matter). The relationship between the forward and downward movement depends how much force the ground has to apply to change his direction, if he is only going forward the ground does nothing if he is going straight up and down the ground does everything.

And no not an engineer haha, I design the houses and let someone else figure out how to keep them from falling down haha. I did take a year of physics in HS though and as boblob always says I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
OK. I still don't completely understand it, but I'm not going to ask for any more explanations. My thought process was this:

F=ma
a=gravitational acceleration constant
Force is 9.8*bubba

Forces are equal and opposite (Newton's third law is the major one here :P), so the ground exerts a force of 9.8*bubba in the opposite direction. There is no substantial force horizontally, only momentum. You're saying that the ground needs less force to redirect him upward because he's moving forward, but I'm losing you there.

BTW, I win this argument by default because I have twice the high school physics background that you do. :lol:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
mclaud11

Post by mclaud11 »

Oh my god you guys are nerds!! Let's drop it..... You hit a wall that fast and go that high, it's gonna hurt a lil regardless the suspension!
Sib43
Team: pridemx.at

Post by Sib43 »

Everybody is talking about roczen will join RCH. What's the deal there?
BSM70

Post by BSM70 »

bob117 wrote:
BSM70 wrote:Omg in the outdoors I would like to see Malcolm even attempting to race with Barcia. Malcolm is no were near Barcia in outdoors. Don't know what the hell he was talking about. The only time they c each other is A.)on the line B.) when Barcia comes around lapping him.
im pretty sure you are the dumbest person on this forum, and every time you post just makes me more sure of that. if Malcolm is nowhere near barica in outdoors, then how did he catch him at utah and punt his ass? you clearly have no idea wtf your talking about, and just have a hard on for bambam.
That was practice there budd. and if u watched the insider on it, he waited for him....
honda boy 326
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Not even mad JLV.

Post by honda boy 326 »

Sib43 wrote:Everybody is talking about roczen will join RCH. What's the deal there?
I haven't heard that yet..I'm also hearing that Wilson will go to TwoTwo
BEST PLACE ON EARTH? Matt James: Out of Vanderlees blast zone
WORST PLACE ON EARTH? Matt James: In his blast zone
Fro wrote:Morin is right.
T-RIDER wrote:i turned my bars this weekend... shit myself and turned em back staight away.