Photography

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
RaNDoM HeRO
Team: Privateer

Re: Photography

Post by RaNDoM HeRO »

fisheye
TGphoto
Team: TGphoto / Adept

Post by TGphoto »

A few of my favorites from this past year..

Nikon D7000, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8
Ken Roczen, 2011 Oakland SX

Nikon D90, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8
Justin Barcia, 2010 Pala National

Trey Canard, 2010 Pala National

Blake Wharton, 2010 Pala National

Trey Canard, 2010 Washougal National

Darryn Durham, 2010 Washougal National

Jake Weimer, 2010 Washougal National
RaNDoM HeRO

Post by RaNDoM HeRO »

pretty fuckin good man!

heres the ones ive taken

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kellypalomaki/
steve130

Post by steve130 »

nice pics tgphoto!
i like the pics of trey canard! :D :wink:
scheeve3

Post by scheeve3 »

nice photo's, great use of backgrounds and if there are no usefull backgrounds just take a nice closeup action shot. Nice!
Frederik Van Eeckhoven - UID 326
1st Team @ MXSON 2009 & 2nd individual (125cc)
2012 DRT-Sandseries winner (MX1)
2012 DRT-spring SX series winner (OPEN)
2012 BMF-Friday night series winner (MX1)
Scoli.

Post by Scoli. »

wow TGphoto, do you work for a magazine or something? if not you should and over here in the UK you're not aloud on track unless you work for a magazine and have PLI insurance, which sucks.
TGphoto

Post by TGphoto »

Ya, I was set up an online mag this last summer. So I shot at Hangtown, Washougal and Pala National for them. I just got a new cam a couple of weeks ago so Im stoked. Hopefully I'll get picked up by a bigger magazine or website soon.
scheeve3

Post by scheeve3 »

Maybe you can check some european magazine's, maybe they're intrested in a full time photographer over the water.

And what settings do you use for those great colours? Or do you run all the photo's trough photoshop?
I rly want to know it because I bought me a D90 less then a week ago and I'm pumped for the new motocross season :D.
RaNDoM HeRO

Post by RaNDoM HeRO »

actions are sweet haha

if anyone wants this one ill send you the link, it has a bunch others to
Scoli.

Post by Scoli. »

RaNDoM HeRO wrote:actions are sweet haha
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5253/543 ... 5601_b.jpg

if anyone wants this one ill send you the link, it has a bunch others to
Ill have a copy. Skype ID: mattcrossisback
Scoli.

Post by Scoli. »

wups fail.
Yahama7

Post by Yahama7 »

It's Yahama7 !!!
TGphoto

Post by TGphoto »

scheeve3 wrote:Maybe you can check some european magazine's, maybe they're intrested in a full time photographer over the water.

And what settings do you use for those great colours? Or do you run all the photo's trough photoshop?
I rly want to know it because I bought me a D90 less then a week ago and I'm pumped for the new motocross season :D.
Sorry, haven't been on the forums in a while...

As far as settings go, it all depends on what type of effect you want in the photo and how the conditions are around you, like light, clouds and overcast, etc. If you want to stop the action with a minimal amount of blur, then you want a fast shutter speed. Around 1/3200th of a sec or maybe even 1/4000th of a second if the light is right.

The aperture is very important as well. The smaller the aperture, the more blurred out the background will be, like in the photo that i posted of Jake Weimer (#12 on Kawi). I typically try and use aperture f/2.8 when I'm in those situations, but not all lenses allow you to go down that far. I know the lens that came with my D90 only goes down to f/3.5. Not bad, but 2.8 is a lot better.

Next main setting would be your ISO setting. This is mainly a setting that lets more light or less light in. On a bright sunny day, use ISO 400 or lower. On a cloudy day, use 800 or up. The only problem with high ISO settings is that you start to get a good amount of "noise". Meaning the photo gets a little grainy texture that doesn't look good.

As far as editing, I use Adobe Lightroom 3. I try and get the best photos out of the camera without having to edit because it makes working with photos faster and easier. Don't rely on editing beacuse sometimes you dont have the time or chance to edit before you're photos are being used on a website. If i do have the time, i like to look at them in lightroom and adjust a few things. Mostly colors. If colors look a little dead, then i slightly adjust the saturation and what not, but i don't get crazy with it.

Hope this helps!
TGphoto

Post by TGphoto »

scheeve3 wrote:Maybe you can check some european magazine's, maybe they're intrested in a full time photographer over the water.

Sorry, haven't been on the forums in a while...

As far as settings go, it all depends on what type of effect you want in the photo and how the conditions are around you, like light, clouds and overcast, etc. If you want to stop the action with a minimal amount of blur, then you want a fast shutter speed. Around 1/3200th of a sec or maybe even 1/4000th of a second if the light is right.

The aperture is very important as well. The smaller the aperture, the more blurred out the background will be, like in the photo that i posted of Jake Weimer (#12 on Kawi). I typically try and use aperture f/2.8 when I'm in those situations, but not all lenses allow you to go down that far. I know the lens that came with my D90 only goes down to f/3.5. Not bad, but 2.8 is a lot better.

Next main setting would be your ISO setting. This is mainly a setting that lets more light or less light in. On a bright sunny day, use ISO 400 or lower. On a cloudy day, use 800 or up. The only problem with high ISO settings is that you start to get a good amount of "noise". Meaning the photo gets a little grainy texture that doesn't look good.

As far as editing, I use Adobe Lightroom 3. I try and get the best photos out of the camera without having to edit because it makes working with photos faster and easier. Don't rely on editing beacuse sometimes you dont have the time or chance to edit before you're photos are being used on a website. If i do have the time, i like to look at them in lightroom and adjust a few things. Mostly colors. If colors look a little dead, then i slightly adjust the saturation and what not, but i don't get crazy with it.

Hope this helps! If you have anymore questions, let me know.
scheeve3

Post by scheeve3 »

Do you use auto white balance?

Becose this wednesday it was around 17:00 I took my last photo's and the sun was standing pretty low and the white clothes became yellow. And I think it's becose of a wrong white balance.

example of that yellow-ish thing.

I think I burned out the white part also but that wouldn't explain the yellow fade over the photo